“Amazing, a little hidden treasure in the city” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 2,979 restaurants in Brisbane
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Brisbane, Australia
“Amazing, a little hidden treasure in the city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I was taking my partner out to celebrate and this place was just fantastic. Service was amazing, so friendly and helpful. For a saturday night it wasn't too busy so we really recieved great service from all staff that waited on us. My partner and I had a 3 course dinner, I had the pork and it just melted in my mouth. Delicious!
I highly recommend this place.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ROTP_FB, Manager at The Walnut Restaurant, Royal on the Park, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are so happy that you and your partner enjoyed our December Set Menu Promotion featuring traditional Christmas fare.

Our ever-evolving menus take advantage of seasonal availability and we pride ourselves in supporting local producers. Our Sous Chef, Frederick Marechal, has a few aces up his sleeve for the launch of our new A la Carte Menu in February. A sneak peek indicates an emphasis on light and refreshing cuisine - perfect for Queensland summer!

We have passed on your compliments to our staff who are humbled by your kind words and your compliments spur us on to continuously improve our service standards. Please do not take too long before joining us at the Royal On The Park Hotel again!

84% Recommend
Australia
“A wonderful dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Beautiful service, elegant decor and wonderful food! A great selection of dishes to suit all tastes. Beautifully presented but not pretentious. A great wine list too.

Visited December 2012
Dear Guest,

We are glad that you enjoyed your recent dining experience at the Walnut Restaurant & Lounge Bar.

Our kitchen brigade led by Executive Chef, Rhian Rodrigues, is busy finalising their new menu slated for launch next month. Without revealing too much, a mouth-watering dish of Roast Garlic Scampi with Lemon & Saffron Fettucine and Lobster Bisque is expected to fly out the window!

We hope to tantalise your tastebuds soon. Do check our website for further details of our new A la Carte menu launch.
Melbourne, Australia
“A bit disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

Being in the top 10 of tripadvisor was expecting it to be amazing - maybe I'm a bit of a perfectionist but both my wife and I were a bit disappointed in our meals.

We got the special garlic bread to start with - it was nice but didn't really taste of garlic.

Our waitress I suspect was new or in training because the drinks took a very long time to come and when they finally did the excuse was 'I couldn't find the right glasses'. Then she took our entree cutlery before we had the entree, the waiter who delivered our entree had to get some for us.

I had the scallops to start with, my wife had the duck, and I will admit they were both awesome.

My main course was the lamb cutlets, which I asked for medium rare but they came out well overdone. The sauce was nice but the veges I think had too much of the leaves still on them, made it quite chewy to eat. If I chopped them off there would have been more leaves than veges. My wife had the quail which was also suggested to have medium rare but was also a bit overdone, but otherwise good.

Dessert was the biggest let down. I had the much vaunted bombe-alaska. The fruit inside was very very frozen and tasteless, and overall the whole dish was ok but nothing to write home about. My wife had the pot of strawberries with chocolate mousse, which came with three strawberries (nothing special about them). Most of the dish was mousse which was very rich but not creamy at all, in fact tasted like it was mostly cocoa.

So overall a pretty average meal for the price.

Dear Guest,

It is with disappointment that the Walnut Restaurant & Lounge Bar did not meet up with your expectations. It is with honest feedback from our guests that allows us to continuously improve our service standards and food offerings and would like to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

Reviews of our training procedures are ongoing to bring us closer to our Vision "Where Service Comes First". Your comments regarding our food has been passed on to our Executive Chef, Rhian Rodrigues.

We would like to invite you and your wife back the Royal On The Park Hotel on your next visit to Brisbane, hoping to showcase our improved service and new menus. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly via e-mail or telephone should you wish to discuss any issues in-depth.
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“What a night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I do appreciate for the comments on website because it is just as amazing as I imagine. The food I had was 3 course menu and it was just good enough to make my night special. Service wise, the waiter Adam if I am not mistaken, is always helpful and friendly. I will definitely come back here next time. If you are looking for a special night out, I do recommend this restaurant.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear Guest,

Our 2- and 3-course Monthly Promotion has been very popular over the past year with themed feature dishes. Our new A la Carte menu will be launched in only a few weeks' time and after sneaking a peek, the freshest Queensland seafood is featured prominently!

Stay tuned for our launch date and we hope you will come in again to try our new spectacular offerings!
Brisbane, Australia
“A foodie dream come true”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

So the decor is a bit unusual. I couldn't tell if I was in an old fashioned English restaurant or .... hard to say. But once you get past the wood panels and mirrors to the food, the experience begins. I usually skip gazpacho on a date as I tend to spill anything red on myself, ruining the rest of the night. But this was the best one I have ever had. I had the duck for the main, a pure French classic, which was divine. My date had the steak with roasted beetroot, cooked to perfection. Given the quality, we blasted on for dessert with a shared baked Alaska with white rum. Well we almost had to fight over the last bites. An amazing food experience. Recommended!

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ROTP_FB, Manager at The Walnut Restaurant, Royal on the Park, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Guest,

Retaining the old-world European charm and luxury of the Walnut Restaurant & Lounge Bar was the focus during our recent refurbishment. The walnut wood paneling was something our regular guests insisted on keeping and the introduction of polished wood tables and leather-bound chairs leant to the 'club feel' that has been its hallmark for the past 43 years.

Our kitchen brigade, headed by Executive Chef Rhian Rodrigues and Sous Chef Frederick Marechal, have been busy dreaming of new concoctions and mouth-watering innovations for their new A la Carte menu launch in February 2013. The Walnut Restaurant will usually feature a gueridon service dish and also a showcase dessert and we normally get a sneak peek. This time, however, both chefs are keeping their cards close to their chests so stay tuned via our website, Facebook and Twitter accounts for updates!