“Best Japanese we have experienced” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Brisbane, Australia
“Best Japanese we have experienced”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This restaurant consistently produces the most tasty and quality food. I have been going to sakura for over 10 years. I have been to a large number of other japanese restaurants, in Australia, USA and Japan, and this restaurant gets our 'whole" family vote for the best. They are always very friendly and provide prompt service. the decor is not the latest, however this adds to the appeal of the restaurant.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

queensland
“First class fresh Japenes food at a reasonable price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Very clean and food excellently presented. Friendly staff who know the menu. Service was fast despite being full. Good fr a two some.

Visited July 2012
“Japanese Joy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I had my second visit to Sakura on Friday night and thought it high time to write a review. The thing I am most disappointed out with Sakura is that after living in Brisbane for 10 years, I only found this place a few months ago.

This place is the real deal - full of japanese, which means it has to be good right? It is only a small place, but always crowded. We like to have lots of the entree dishes rather than main course, that way we get to enjoy lots of delicious bites. Last time I went for the sashimi platter, which was superb, this time it was the sushi platter. This took about 20 minutes to come out - which means it was made fresh just for us - I did see the sushi chef prepare our sushi so I know it was fresh.

We also enjoyed wonderful gyoza, edamame (perfection - not too salty), chicken yakatori and our all time favourite the creamy cheese filled croquette (I cannot for the life of me think of the japanese name for this dish) - oh my goodness but this is a little parcel of pure yumminess - rich yes, and you only need the one, but sooooo good.

We washed down our dinner with the japanese beer on tap - and it's the perfect drink. I highly recommend this place - it's fantastic.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Authentic Japanese in an unlikely location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Went to this restaurant whilst in Brisbane on the recommendation of a local; you would never find it or think of going there otherwise. Restaurant survives on its food as its decor is "tired old suburban restaurant" and passing trade would be non existent. Service was very much struggling ESL but pleasant enough. Menu was random ordered and partially disintegrated. Which leads to the food - very fresh seafood, very tasty and very good sized serves. No BYO was surprising but wine by the glass was reasonably priced. To conclude you would go there for high quality, reasonably priced Japanese food.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“A true Japanese restaurant in Highgate Hill”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We pass this restaurant often and always talked about eating there and tonight we finally did! The restaurant itself is small and a bit run down, but as soon as we entered we were greeted warmly by the staff. We did note that the staff were Japanese.

The menu has the usual range of entrees and mains for a Japanese restaurant of this standard and is similar to other Japanese restaurants eg. Azabu in Taringa and Hosokawa on Racecourse Rd.

I wouldn't call any of these restaurants cheap, expect to pay around $50 pp.

Although some of the cuts of white fish (sashimi) were a little sinewy, the other cuts of fish seemed very fresh and otherwise, quality was good and the food was tasty. Yes, the drinks were cheaper than Sono, but they were still a bit on the expensive side (and Sono *is* a classier restaurant)

All in all, if you are in the area and looking for some Japanese food, this is a good option. Would return.

• Visited June 2012