“Authentic Italian fare” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Authentic Italian fare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Over the years, my friends and I have been to this restaurant several dozen times. To make this statement should explain many things and, perhaps, I could stop here without making any other comments. After all, if it wasn’t to our liking, we wouldn’t return so frequently.
This restaurant is Italian, owned by Italians, operated by Italians – passionate about the food and service: what better recommendation could be given… The restaurant has been on Oxford Street for about fifteen years, and, in this economic climate, for restaurants to survive, it an attestation to the restaurant’s overall quality that Otello survives at the Bulimba address, a suburb where there seems to be an exploding number of eateries of many descriptions.
The atmosphere is pleasant, the restaurant unpretentious, and the service without fault. The food and coffee is consistently high quality, meeting our expectations. My friends and I feel comfortable here and always feel welcome. We like that there is no need for complaints. Today, as we waited for our order , I reflected on some of both the best and forgettable food experiences during my visits to various parts of Italy –. Otello’ s food is traditional Italian fare, similar to what may be compared to better food experiences in Italy - gnocchi, pasta, risotto all with numerous variations, minestrone, antipasto, etc. etc. and a few meals with a more global emphasis. The menu is available online. Last time I enquired, I was assured the food is manufactured in their kitchens – not brought in, and, to me, that speaks volumes about the quality control by the owners/operators.
Otelllo has inside and al fresco dining. On many a summer’s day we have been pleased to be seated outside to catch a possible summer breeze. On this visit, with a slight winter’s chill, we were glad to be outside the main restaurant area, but still with some protection from the elements.
Another bonus is parking bays nearby, reserved for clients - not an unlimited supply, but in busy times, it's a definite plus. To those familiar with the Oxford Street Precinct, it is well known that sometimes parking is at a premium.
I can’t think of any reason why my friends and I won’t continue to patronise this restaurant and, if you go, it is hoped you, too, appreciate the authentic Italian food, atmosphere and hospitality shown to diners.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Brisbane, Australia
“Good place for breakfast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

This restaurant served up the best eggs benedict I have had in a while and they were very accomodating when I asked for an alteration to the pancakes I ordered for my daughter.
The coffee was excellent!!!!! I can't stress this enough, I ended up ordering 3 Fws.
Service was efficient and price really good for the high quality of ingredients. We will return.

Visited July 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“Food OK but BYO or carefully watch your wine choice.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Visited for catch up dinner with local friends. Service is very good except I was poured a poorer quality bottle of wine different to what I ordered. When I pointed out the mistake I was told my chosen wine was not available. When I requested to view the wine list I was told no wines were available from the list and I could buy my own bottle from the bottle shop next door and no corkage would be charged.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Crap service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Now I remember why I stopped coming here. When all the other restaurants in the area are packed on a Sunday and this one is empty, there is a reason. Normally, going into an almost empty restaurant should result in, minimally, fast service. However, in this case, it took almost 20 minutes to get a basic omelette. To add insult to injury, the baristo (manager?) tried to tell me twice that it takes that long to make an omelette. Ah, no. Not unless you need to raise the chickens first (or, more likely, the chef was on a smoke break). And the food was not worth the wait. Never again.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“The good the bad and the ugly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Our family frequents this restaurant on rare occasions, and at times the food can be great, the service is always professional and fast, however the food can be a let down.

On this particular Saturday night the food was ordinary and not what was expected for a restaurant experience.

The menu is very extensive is this is possibly the problem

When ordering ask for chef suggestions and this could avoid disappointment

However the service is great , the position is ideal, just be prepared for not so expected food

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere