“$5.95 for a tiny plate of chips.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #233 of 3,122 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean, Vegan, Vegetarian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Lefkas Taverna was created in 1991 as a family operated business providing Authentic Greek Cuisine as it would be made in the village. Big plates filled with plenty of flavour and a lot of love.John Theoharis took over operation of Lefkas in 2005, in this time John has altered a few things, menu, image, presentation and additions although Lefkas is still a bound family operation from front of house to back from 11am through until late. Lefkas is now bigger & better than ever.We have expanded our restaurant capacity to create more seating, atmosphere, options and events,everything on the Lefkas menu remains the same plus more. The ambience pouring through the restaurant is second to none, people are up clapping and dancing, the band create such a vibe that no one can resist. Before you know it the restaurant is dancing on the street and cheering away, (Greek Style) loud and proud! This experience is quite hard to find, also so is the wide variety of food that fills everyone’s taste buds.John has put his heart and soul into this venture and takes a lot of pride in his business and efforts. Lefkas will now become a Greek restaurant meeting any imagination or requests possible. We will now have the capacity and space to hold events such as large group birthday parties, christenings, corporate lunches or dinner’s, even weddings!Everything Lefkas has to offer is made in house from dips to desserts. We fillet and marinate our own meat including Yiros, Souvlaki, Seafood, all cooked daily and from the best local produce.Our aim is to capture and cater for our loyal customers and their friends from start to finish, whether it is takeaway or a dining experience our staff will make sure your Lefkas experience is unforgettable.Our new lunch menu will catch the eye, more options at an affordable price, efficient service, leaving you fulfilled and satisfied, our dinner menu sizes and options will also be available upon request at lunch if you want to go all out on your favourites! Our dinner menu and pricing remains the same with a few more options to choose from.Last but not least…. Freshly made honey puffs, all visible and made in front of you, quite hard to resist! Drizzled with honey syrup and a dash of icing sugar, available all day dine in or take away. We will also have a liquor licence in coming months which will allow you to sit back and be served Greek style, great food, great wine and the fantastic music!(Eat Safe Brisbane Rating - 4 stars) Weekly Live Music from 7-10pm every Friday night plus once a month on Saturdays.Remaining Dates for 2013:Sat Nov 23rd, 30th, Dec 7th, 14th and our final trading date for 2013 Sat 21st of December.Bookings are essential, please visit our website for further details
Brisbane, Australia
“$5.95 for a tiny plate of chips.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have lift in Brisbane all my life, and have heard so much about this restaurant. I finally got my chance to go. We shared the platter for 2 which was excellent. We also ordered The baked chicken and potato. This was very 'so so'. I can do better at home. Still feeling a little peckish, we ordered a plate of hot chips. Out came a very small cereal bowl of chips.When I paid the bill, I was shocked to see it was $5.95!! It's not the money, but the hide of them charging this sort of price for a couple of potatoes. We ordered kadaifi, which was undercooked and soggy. My son ordered the tourta which was wonderful, but sadly came out in a plastic take away container!
While it wasnt that bad, I seriously dont feel it lives up to it's reputation. Having said that, I could see that the take away souvlaki wrapped in Pita was amazing, and good value.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

manchester
“Bad food, rude staff!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Generally the food was pretty bland and nothing like I've experienced when visiting Greece on many an occasion.
The staff were rude when we advised them that the lamb cutlets were too salty. Eventually they agreed and offered a replacement, but by then we had lost our appetites due to the agressive and rude attitudes of the staff (we could hear the name-calling coming out of the kitchen from where we sat!!).

They're are plently of other Greek restaurants in West End and all better than this one.

• Visited April 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Eating_in_Brisbane, Owner at Lefkas Taverna, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
This is a very rare response for me to have to do, the reviews in which you read normally stand to truth, unfortunately last week was a major struggle for me to produce to consistency that Lefkas normally offers due to very important staff members being away from illness, therefore I had to recruit staff which did not have the experience nor knowledge of the restaurant routine and menu thus the consequence of your disappointing experience.

I am very disappointed in myself and the staff for not being able to deliver a happy and enjoyed Greek experience which is what we are all about.

My sincerest apologies and I hope that you will return to Lefkas in the near future and let us make it up to you!
Brisbane
“Wonderful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Many many years ago my Mum and I had a rule that we would go to one restaurant a week. We found Lefkas one night just after it opened. This Taverna reminds me of Greece. The food is tops. The menu has not changed much over the years but you don't want it too.

Visited February 2012
Brisbane, Australia
“A nice Change”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We went to the Greek Festival and was not able to try everything so we looked up for Greek restaurants, and stumbled upon Lefkas.
Four of us went on a coldish wet Saturday night at 6.30PM and to our surprise, the place was PACKED. They have several different sections, some outside on the footpath (Alfesco), some were in rooms. They put us in the very first table right in front of the reception out in the open and int the cold. This did not worry our guests from Canberra at all. There was a nice feel about the place: unpretentious, natural, happy.
The waitress was very nice: we brought a 10-year old Shiraz and she happily opened for us. Unfortunately the cork was ruined and we had to toss it and got some from the bottleshop two doors away. She did not mind it but make a joke out of it.
I wanted some eggplant but could not decide between stuffed eggplant and moussaka so I asked her for suggestions. Was told stuffed eggplant was not as salty so I ordered that plus grilled haloumi. The others had lamb off the spit, chicken souvlaki, quail and pita bread. I was craving for octopus too (from the Greek Festival) but was worried about not being able to finish it, and the waitress suggested we took a half serve as an entree. That was a wonderful suggestion.
All of us are very happy with our selection and how it turned out. Eventhough it was cold and wet (for Brisbane standard), the place was full not only with dine-in guests, but even more takeaways. It seems the take-aways only cost half the price and the food in the bain-marie looked delicious. We promised ourselves that we will be back.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sunshine Coast
“Yum Yum Yum!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Small, busy, no frills greek restaurant. We visited this restaurant on a Saturday night (be warned it is very busy and you will need a booking!!). As soon as we walked in, we were welcomed by the delicious smells coming from the kitchen and the plates of food being served were piled high. We didn't have to wait long for our meals to be served and everyone at our table (of 6) was very impressed by the tasty food and generous servings on offer here. Staff are run off their feet but warm and friendly (all except one young lady who looked angry the whole time and was quite intimidating but funny to watch). BYO is a bonus and when the bill came at the end of our evening we were more than happy with the value for money we had received for a night out. I would definately go back to this restaurant. Pity I don't live close by, I think I would be a regular here!!!

• Visited June 2012