“Looking forward to going back” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #190 of 2,976 restaurants in Brisbane
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Sydney, Australia
“Looking forward to going back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

An auspicious start to my visit; I was followed into the restaurant by a group that included two Buddhist monks. The waitress was very friendly and even went to the trouble of recommending an alternative to the prawn dish I ordered (her recommendation was to go for the Lawsoon Haleko prawns, and it was good advice; delicate and flavoursome at the same time, with the touch of extra heat I asked for). The ambience is great with Himalayan music at just the right volume to be noticeable without being intrusive or getting in the way of conversation, and the decor is charming, if a little rustic. The Himalayan bread (sweet and cheesy) with dipping sauce is a must try. A well balanced sweet lassi rounded out the meal. And the service was quick and efficient, even though they were quite busy.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

86% Recommend
Cawongla, New South Wales, Australia
“Relaxing Atmosphere, healthy food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The homey, relaxing Tibetan atmosphere and healthy food, made for a very pleasant dining experience. Our expectations were high given the good reviews so the food wasn’t as fabulous as we’d experienced at other Tibetan restaurants but still quite tasty and nutritious. I particularly appreciated the calming Tibetan music instead of the very popular ( with kitchen staff) boom boom music. Friendly staff, range of food. Being there early we got served quickly ( lots of big parties arrived after us) and it wasn’t too loud. Suggest booking on a Sat night, we just got a table in the back room, only because we arrived at 5:30pm and were prepared to leave before the 8pm booking.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Berlin, Germany
“Excellent food in nice Tibetan atmosphere!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

We have been recommended this restaurant in our visit to Brisbane and just loved it. Nice decorated restaurant in tibetian tradition. Large variety of dishes, from typical tibetian prepared lamb to beef to goat and vegetarian, there is something to choose for everyone. Staff is very kind, great value for money. Don't be surprised that the place is always packed. Would definitely come back next time!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Great food in a casual but fun place!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Decided to walk to New Farm to look for an Indian place and this corner restaurant caught my eye. The decor is very unique and typical from Nepal and Tibet with dark yellows and reds. The waitresses were very friendly and nice and they also serve wine and beer or you can BYOW.
The food was very tasty and well presented. We had a very interesting and spicy appetizer to share. I had the vegetarian Sherpa platter and was wonderful. My husband had a chicken dish and also was very good. Really liked the food and will go back to try more!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“Interesting food but what a noisy space!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I have been to the Himalayan Cafe a while ago and had an early dinner. Last week I went with a friend, the place was packed and I could not hear the sound of my own voice. The food is good, but the constant noise spoiled the experience.

Visited October 2012