“Poor service leaves a bad taste in your mouth.” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #244 of 3,101 Restaurants in Brisbane
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Poor service leaves a bad taste in your mouth.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

Had breakfast here this morning (5 people) Granted, it is close to Christmas and the restaurant was busy. However, the service was unfriendly, if not rude.

It's a pity as the food was nice. Interesting flavours and not your usual breakfast options.

In this day and age where many places serve nice food good service sets restaurants apart. Consequently, I do not recommend this restaurant.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Canberra, Australia
“Once again it never disappoints”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Yes Harveys on James Street is like Guzman not that they are in the same class but in that they are consistent ...you know they do the Thai chicken salad beautifully every time -4 times now- and every thing else they do is always up to standard and you always know the staff is efficient and friendly and sometimes hard to get a coffee!

Visited December 2012
Brisbane, Australia
“Simple Pleasures”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I know I only reviewed Harveys 8 months ago, but I had the most spectacular dining experience last night.
Mind you the Brisbane weather helped.
We had an outside table under a canopy of trees. So just a little out of my comfort zone..
(this is not my usual choice as I love air-conditioning) But I'm with others and I go with the flow..
The simplest of starters. Jamon with deep-fried (ever-so -lightly) zucini flowers.
I know it sounds ..so what???... but it was a sensation .. almost spiritual. ahh..Simple pleasures..
Then I had a perfect slab of cow. Man food at its best. And a great Red from the cellar..A 1991 wirra-wirra, old, soft, and cool from the cellar. Some cheese..
I know dining is as much about the company as the food as the service.. But Harvey’s …well PJ Mc Millan and his loyal staff create a perfect night every time.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane
“Nice location - food average all spoilt by snooty service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Booked for breakfast on a Sat AM. Arrived on time and were given the cold shoulder. We got the attention of another staff member who was quite short with us even though we had booked. They looked reasonably busy but not booked out and we were eventually shown a table.

Menu and water arrived shortly after by another waitress and she was informative and organised. The original waitress eventually returned to take our order and was none too happy to answer a question I had about a meal.

When we ordered our drinks and meals we got a odd stare from her with the remark - 'is that all you are ordering' We felt disappointed here as it was breakfast and we all ordered hot meals but she gave the impression it was an effort to take our order whilst looking down her nose to us.

We confirmed our order and asked for our drinks first and then we were ok with any delay for the meals. We were told the drinks would arrive when they do - eventually we got 2 of 4 drinks and no explaination of when we would be getting others. Meals eventually arrived and 1 was wrong.

We asked if this could be rectified and were told we got what we ordered all whilst the waitress was looking elsewhere and not making eye contact. We accepted what we got and just as we finished the other 2 drinks arrived by a surly looking male waiter.

They were about 50% full and people were coming and going but I would have thought that in this part of town they should expect walk in's but the atmosphere there did not encourage repeat business and we will not be recommending this cafe to friends or family as a result.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“A popular favorite restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Harvey's is a reliably good restaurant, good food matched with a great wine list. It is one of the restaurants that you will return to for sure. Service is usually very good though they need to keep it consistently very good as we have been there a couple of times where the service could be better.

Visited November 2012