“Home away from Home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #67 of 165 Hotels in Brisbane
Newington, Australia
“Home away from Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights on a recent work trip to Brisbane. Great location close to restaurants and river (see view photos), and also easy walking distance to CBD of Brisbane.
Room was comfortable with a spearate bedroom from the living/dining room. Basic kitchen with oven, cooktop, microwave, fridge and crockery to cook your own meals if you wish.
Great view of the Storey Bridge from the living room and balcony and one block from Eagle Stree Pier eateries.
Parking was a little confusing with 2 entrances to different areas of the carpark, and the corners are tight if you have a larger vehicle - be careful not to scrape your car.
Bedroom had a ceiling fan, but A/C was only in the living area. Did get a bit hot at night.
Quite a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: I booked a 1 bedroom apartment, and I think whichever way your room is facing you will have a decent...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
OaksFelix, Manager at Oaks Felix, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank-you for your valuable feed back. We pride ourselves on our superbly appointed apartments with full kitchen and laundry facilities which will make your stay a more convenient experience weather you’re here for business or pleasure. The car parking clearance is 2.15 metres ensure you call ahead for clear directions on how to enter the car park.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Thai first
Gold Coast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Apartment was lovely and clean. Also a great view. My partner and I stayed there for our anniversary and the only negative comment I can say is a couple hours after lying in their bed we received bites all over our bodies. We thought nothing of it until night when we kept waking up scratching and continued into the morning. We checked out early and showed the security man our bites on the way out. He acknowledged and apologised. Later that day we emailed the hotel and explained what had happend. They said they went up and checked and got someone out to professionally check and there were no reports of any bed bugs. They did not believe us and made out that we were lying. We would of been ok with a 'sorry for the inconvenience, we will offer you a small discount on your next stay with us' but we only got back rude emails not believing us at all. There were clearly bed bugs and after showing the security man on the way out, he could see there were too. Once again, even if we received a email reply apologising, we would be back there for sure. Just not after it was short and made us out to be liars.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
OaksFelix, Manager at Oaks Felix, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Please note that as stated in previous direct correspondance via email, this report of possible bed bugs was taken extremely seriously. As such, a professional pest control contractor was called in after our in-house investigations before anyone was placed in that unit again. They concluded that there was no evidence of bed bugs anywhere in the unit and certified accordingly. We certainly made no insinuations that you were lying and know that you did experience bites of some sort but these can be varied living in this climate. We apologise if this was misconstrued but merely put forward our findings via our long-standing reputable pest control contractor that absolutely no evidence was found. Regards, Hotel Manager
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I'm not a fan of Serviced Apartments as they generally lack the comforts of a good hotel. This was my first time staying at this property and with this chain and I have been pleasantly surprised.

The room was large, fresh, tidy and clean. The modern decor was clean and exceeded my expectations for a serviced apartment.

The bathroom, whilst clean, was a little basic, but did the job. The shower was excelled, but no bath is provided in the 1 bedroom apartment i stayed in. No big deal for me, but this may bother some people.

Overall, the property was nice and clean. The staff were friendly.

Room Tip: As for a river view room. Worth the extra few dollars.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
OaksFelix, Manager at Oaks Felix, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
I hope that we at Oaks Felix have been able to instill faith in serviced apartment accommodation for you. Thank you for the feedback provided on your recent stay and hope we have are able to provide a comfortable stay in Brisbane when you are next here.

Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I booked this Oaks on Felix for a weekend trip to Brisbane, the reviews looked OK, and it fitted within my budget, I called the front desk at about 7pm as we didn't get to the hotel until late, to confirm that we were still able to check in late, and that parking had been arranged, as I had booked through a third party and ticked for parking, however it was not outlined in the third party booking that parking needed to be prebooked, parking was $25/night pretty standard, luckily I was able to get parking. The parking set up is very ordinary, you need to call through to the front desk, to have them open the gate & when you want to get out, you have to exit your car & press the button on the wall, you would think maybe there could be a pin pad entry system, I would certainly get frustrated if I had to wait for someone to answer the telephone. The room was ok looking, however as previously mentioned there is nothing in the room explaining how things work TV, dishwasher etc so it was a bit of a guessing game, all hotels & apartments that I have stayed in have had these basic features & also TV guides for Foxtel, this was not available. The first morning my husband went down to use the gym & pool, he mentioned the facilities were ok, hwoever when I rang reception to organise another towel for him to shower with the young lady informed me that if I wanted another towel I would need to pay $2.50 as they do not supply pool towels,a dn they advise guests to use the dryer to dry a towel, now if this is because of conserving water etc, bit silly, I seed it as being extremely wasteful turning on a dryer for only one towel, she did offer for us to get an extra towel on this one occasion, but I felt this was a huge inconvenience for her. When arrived back that afternoon, I noticed that we had an extra towel in our room.

The room was relatively clean however the bathroom had alot of mould & mildew stains and grim & muck in the drain, a good dose of exit mould & a steam cleaner would have cleaned most of that up very quickly. The rest of the room was very tidy & clean

On a positive note it was very convenient to shops and getting in & out of Brisbane, however in the future I would just up my budget and stay elsewhere, I was not at all impressed

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
OaksFelix, General Manager at Oaks Felix, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
I would like to thank you for the constructive feedback you have offered pertaining to your recent stay here at Oaks on Felix.

Firstly, I would like to establish what 3rd party website you booked the reservation with as all car parking needs to be booked direct with the hotel either by phone, email or by requesting using the allcoated section in the booking form. I apologise this was not done for you in the first instance but would like to check that the correct information is being received at our end from the 3rd party. If you could take the time to advise management it would be greatly appreciated.

Your feedback regarding the car park access and appliance instructions have been taken onboard and considerations are being looked into already for the convenience of all guests. The staff though are more than happy to personally assist any guest in a timely manner in these areas as this is always our focus.

We hope to have you stay with us again in the future and once again, we thank you for your considered opinions on the property.

Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We arrived from the UK into Brisbane, and had booked a room in Oaks on Felix as it looked like a good, convenient place to relax after a long flight and do a little bit of Brisbane exploring (we had our eye on the Botanic Gardens, which is a quick 5-10 minute walk away). We were very happy with the room (high up in the building, can't remember exactly which floor, but in the double digits), it was quiet, clean and had a very comfortable bed.
The lap pool was also a great feature, and the gym looked very nice too, with a view of the city.
I would recommend Oaks on Felix for anyone looking for a convenient, clean and quiet place to stay, and we also had a lovely breakfast and tasty coffee in one of the (many) nearby cafés. There is also underground parking, which we needed, but in my opinion it would make sense for that to be free of charge.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
OaksFelix, General Manager at Oaks Felix, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Many thanks for your positive comments about your recent experience here at Oaks on Felix. We hope your enjoyed the rest of your time in Brisbane and Australia and your feedback is appreciated as always. Regards, Hotel Manger.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed in the Oaks Felix for 2 weeks as part of a work relocation. As such, I can't comment on the value for money, as my accomodations were paid for.

The location of the hotel is brilliant - it's literally a 2 minute walk to the Eagle Street Pier where there are tons of restaurants and pubs, and the Eagle Street ferry terminal (where you can catch the paid cross-river ferries or the free City Hopper ferries). Also a 5 minute walk from the botanical gardens, which are gorgeous and definitely worth visiting. There are lots of restaurants nearby and you're only a 10 minute walk from the Queen Street Mall (and if you like sushi, there's an LR Sushi shop located right next to the hotel that makes amazing sushi rolls for $2/each! Typically only open for the lunch rush, though).

The front desk was always friendly and polite, and while I had no interaction with the housekeeping staff, the room was always well cleaned and very tidy. I had a one-bedroom suite with a kitchenette. The unit was well stocked and served me perfectly well. Great balcony with amazing river views, definintely a bonus if you can get one.

All in all, a great experience. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Request a river-facing room if you can; be aware that not all rooms include AC in the bedroom.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
OaksFelix, General Manager at Oaks Felix, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thanks for the feedback and I hope your relocation to Brisbane is an enjoyable one.
Caloundra, Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Read terms and conditions...we were caught out with $150 security fee...which after 3 days we haven't had back yet. Also as there were NO instruction manuals in appartments we had to get help with using the TV and DVD....even the staff member had hard time getting them to work...and the oven!! NO in room info about anything!! And note car parking cost and that car parking space is tight! On a positive note it was clean and comfy and close to river and easy stroll to Southbank. Not sure I would stay again...would have liked it if a bit more user firendly. No AC in bedroom we had...just fans. (7th floor)

Room Tip: You have to ask for river view but that varies and of course not always possible.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
We apprecite your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

Charges are certainly not intenitonally hidden and parking is not advertised as being complimentary. I apologise if this was not visible enough via your booking channel but onsite parking is $25.00 per night and subject to availability.

Pre-authorisations of $150 are also required for each guest upon arrival as a security bond for the booking and this is not a charge but merely a hold on funds via your bank. This is oputlined in any confirmation provied at the time of booking. Should no charges be incurred during the stay, this is released back to the cardholder and if this was not explained properly to you during your stay I am sincerely sorry. If you would like to contact the property direct so we can locate your booking, we can contact your bank to ensure these are released as a priority.

I am glad to hear you found the location and cleanliness to your liking and once again, thank you for your feedback.

Regards, Hotel Manager

Been to Oaks Felix? Share your experiences!