“Brisbane Manor Backpackers?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Brisbane Manor Hotel

You added Brisbane Manor Hotel to your Saves list
Brisbane Manor Hotel
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   555 Gregory Terrace, Fortitude Valley, Brisbane, Queensland 4006, Australia (Formerly Tourist Guest House)   |
Ranked #55 of 63 Brisbane B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Brisbane Manor Backpackers?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I try to be fair but thought calling this place a hotel was stretching things a bit. I would put it in the hostel/back packers catagory - as such it is expensive for what you get.
Reception was helpful and gave me excellent advice on the phone when I was trying to locate them and the best manner to get there from the airport (incidentally, if you are reasonably fit, get the train to Fortitude Valley and walk up the hill !! - I got ripped by the taxi)
The bed was OK and I didnt get bitten
The shower and tea making worked
The WiFi seemed to magically disappear every time you locked onto it (6 zones in one place!!)
The rooms and general ambiance is "run down" , wall mounted A/C that may have worked if the socket it was supposed to plug into worked.
The biggest turm off for me were the paper thin walls - a sure sign of cost cutting during construction - and it shows - I didn't really expect to go to the toilet and "mid flow" feel like I was in the middle of the next room when they started chatting - embarrasing or what?
If you are under 30 and/or on a hen or stag event this may be for you - otherwise I would recommend paying a bit more and finding somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Room was very basic for a king Suite no cuttlery toaster or microwave, Green mold on the shower head, staff only showed you to the room and we were not told of any in house restuarant or where to have breakfast. The 2 a/c units in the room one was broken and left umplugged the other was extramely noisy. First night there was a fight and yelling match around the hotel, with verbal shouting of homophobic nature, No appology from any staff memener the next day, not a good start for a hotel that claims its " Gay friendly". A backpacker hostel would be a better stay than this place so be warned.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Walking distance from Fortitude Valley Station (less than 10mins walk). The building looks old but decent. Kind of vintage look. Quite spacious room with private bathroom, fridge, TV and sink. And there are plenty of clean shared showers and toilets as well. The hotel covered with free hi-speed wifi. However the bed was full of BED BUGS! OMG!!! It’s like a swamp of bed bugs attacking you when you’re asleep. Reasonable price for a place like this and staffs were friendly BUT I don’t think I will ever stay in this hotel again because of the horrible horrible bed bug experience. Lesson learned, would pay higher price for a better hotel and better sleep.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Was very cheap, so I didn't expect much.
Very old fashioned, old & outdated.
Old aircon unit didn't work well & was right next to the uncomfortable bed.... Room was cheap, didn't want to pay much as was for a night out & only a few hours spent in there, so didn't mind lack of comfort!!!
Cups were dirty also.
BEWARE ; I left a $40 Tupperware container in the fridge & 2 bottles of soft drink. They were not handed in by the cleaner.. Was very upset to lose the container.. I'm so glad that I didn't leave anything valuable in the room as it would of been stolen..... PLEASE BEWARE!!!
This is thieving, no matter how big or small the item is. It has turned me off using cheap hotels :-(

• Stayed March 2013
BrisbaneManor, Manager at Brisbane Manor Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thankyou for your feedback, I am aware of your case. But to add a little perspective to your review. As you had checked out of the hotel and left behind the container in question it has been disposed of and not stolen as you suggest. We don't take any responsibility for items left in our rooms after a customer checks out of the hotel. This is standard procedure for all hotels as we do not know what is wanted or unwanted so assume that all items left behind are unwanted. These items were not taken from your room but left behind after you checked out maybe you should add that to your review.
Cooloola cove
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Stayed in a single room with a private bathroom overnight, The room itself was quaint, the staff appeared lovely and the location was convenient, everything seemed very clean. I was horrified to wake up at three in the morning with literally dozens of bed bugs crawling over me. When I used the after hours phone to contact the night manager about this problem he told me I could check out early if I wanted, just drop my keys in the suggestion box and be on my way. Needless to say this was an unacceptable option for me and when I demanded something (anything) be done I was treated as if my complaint was trivial and told I needed to 'calm down.' I ended up sitting in my room until morning then left. My trip had been stressful enough. It's a shame this happened, because otherwise it would have been a lovely place to stay. Unfortunately though, you do not get what you pay for if you're paying for a place to sleep due to the bed bugs. Personally I don't recommend it, nor will I ever be staying there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thanks for your feedback, You situation hasn't been brought to my attention. If you would like to contact me directly to explain what happened in more detail I'll be happy discuss it. I appologise for the problems and help we can do a better job next time. my e-mail is matt@brisbanemanor.com
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Located in fortitude valley which was a bit annoying to get into the city, but otherwise a decent hostel. Plenty of showers and toilets which were pretty clean most of the time. Whole place is quite dated and old but rooms are comfy enough with sinks and fridges in each. Biggest complaint I have here is that we found bed bugs and staff basically refused to believe us, certain staff members were pretty unhelpful all of the time actually. So overall a good base but be wary of bed bugs.

• Stayed February 2013
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

In need of some modernisation, but with a faded colonial style which we liked. Room small and dark but clean with comfortable bed. Friendly helpful staff. Best suited to short stays 3-4 days. Convenient for public transport into city.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Brisbane Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!