“Not really a hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Oaks Lexicon Apartments

You added Oaks Lexicon Apartments to your Saves list
Oaks Lexicon Apartments
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   347 Ann Street | Corner of Wharf Street, Brisbane, Queensland 4000, Australia   |
Ranked #71 of 165 Hotels in Brisbane
“Not really a hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Stayed two weeks in January 2014 and I'm not a fan. The room itself was just OK. It was fairly large two bedroom with full kitchen, well stocked, and washer and dryer. The carpets were noticeably worn in places. The "king" beds were twins pushed together with an impossible stiff lump down the middle. The front desk staff were untrained and absent at night. Parking was a nightmare as there are too few designated spots in the garage. The weather was quite hot, in the nineties, and the air conditioner was inadequate. There are no dining or beverage services at the hotel and they give you a printed statement upon your arrival that any guest found with too much wine or beer in their room will be expelled! The worst complaint goes to the cleaning staff. We were assured that we had daily maid service, but in fact we had only beds made and clean towels. I had to "special request" if I wanted vacuuming. They never cleaned countertops, bathroom, or dusted in the living room. If you want to rent an apartment in Brisbane for a week you might want to look elsewhere. If you want something more like a hotel, definitely cross this property off your list.

Room Tip: If you want a good room try the hotel down the street.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
OaksLexic0n, Manager at Oaks Lexicon Apartments, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your recent stay at Oaks Lexicon and I am disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations. In relation to the carpet, this is certainly on the agenda to address with the owners in the very near future as it is a matter of priority to continue maintaining a high standard. I appreciate your comments and have spoken to the front desk staff and passed your comments onto the housekeeping manager to address the cleaning issues. Reception is only open 6am to 10pm however we have an onsite caretaker so there is always someone you can contact if you have an issue. The parking is limited and needs to be pre-booked as we only have the spaces that are allocated to us. Although we don’t have food and beverage facilities at the hotel we are a short walk to many bars and restaurants. The no party policy may seem strict however this is in place to allow everyone to peacefully enjoy the stay. I thank you once again for your invaluable feedback and do hope that you choose to stay at another Oaks property again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stayed here a few years ago with some girlfriends. Great apartment for a weekend. The only downside was that there are better located Oaks apartments in Brisbane City and is a pretty dead corner of the city on the weekends. Being locals, we were aware of this, however it may not be best suited for tourists.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
OaksLexic0n, Manager at Oaks Lexicon Apartments, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thank you taking the time to provide your feedback about your recent stay and I am pleased that your stayed matched your expectations.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We Tried this place because it was offered as a red hot deal on watif.com .. We only stayed 2 nights and found it quite good . We had a baby with us that had black knees and feet from crawling on the carpet .. And the front balcony was worse .. Hadn't been mopped for a while .. But apart from that .. Lovely set up , nice big shower ..lovely little kitchenette , Nicely designed overall .. Happy with our stay concidering the fantastic price we payed :-)

Stayed December 2013
OaksLexic0n, Manager at Oaks Lexicon Apartments, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent stay and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay.
I have passed your comments onto the housekeeping manager to address the cleaning issues on the balconies and carpets.
Kindest regards
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I booked into this hotel overnight on a trip to Brisbane. I wish I could have stayed longer as this was an apartment, well furnished and comfortable. The view over the city from the balcony was fantastic and overall the staff were very courteous. Only problem was the air-con wasn't working, but it didn't matter as it was a cool night anyway. It was fixed during my stay, so that was good. Would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: I stayed on the Ann St side and had a really good view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
OaksLexic0n, Manager at Oaks Lexicon Apartments, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and on behalf of the Lexicon team, I look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks Lexicon next time you are in Brisbane.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I stayed during the ashes was on and I couldn't be happier. I was a little worried by the last couple of reviews about the service, as it was our first time to Brisbane and we didn't know where things were around the area. When we arrived the girl at the reception greeted us very friendly and smiling and informed us where all the handy places where around which was fantastic including a gem of a cafe called pour boy on wharf street to bad it's not open on the weekend. A woolworths very short walk through the cathedral square and restaurants on Eagle street 4 minutes walk down wharf street which is a hill FYI. Coming back u basically wear off your dinner.

Our room was very spacious with a large balcony we had the room facing the mountains and ann street very lovely! It seems a quiet hotel so anytime we needed help with bus timetables, directions and where to go etc the reception girls were always available and wanted to help us. That gives me thumbs up with all boxes! I had a great stay and will return in the future when we travel to Brisbane again.

• Stayed November 2013
OaksLexic0n, Manager at Oaks Lexicon Apartments, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback about your recent stay and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I have passed your valuable positive comments onto the front desk staff and look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks Lexicon when you next visit Brisbane.

Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

After spending 4 weeks in the USA, we had a one night stop over in Brisbane.

I decided to get a 2 bedroom apartment for the night, as after 4 weeks of living in each others pockets...space was a priority. I found the rates for a 2 bedroom apartment very reasonable.

When we arrived 12th October there was nobody at reception and we waited around for a good 10 minutes before a young girl attended to us. We were checked in and given the keys to our apartment.

On the whole the apartment was nice, cleanish, had the space we required and was comfortable. The lounge suite and soft furnishings did look like they needed a deep clean though.

The following day early at about 8am my husband contacted reception to ask if we could have a late check out, as our connecting flight was only at 6pm that evening. My daughter and I both had bad chest infections and we needed a room for the day. He came back to me saying that the person at reception has said we need to be out by 10 am as the hotel is full and they cant do a late check out. I then got back on the phone, and explained our situation to the young girl on reception. She was so not interested from the start of my conversation. Very disinterested and matter of fact....not helpful and rude. I pleaded with her, asking even if we could pay for another room.... anything that she had available, just so my daughter and I could rest as we were both so unwell. All I got from her was a... we are booked and we cannot help you. Please be out by the check out time. I then asked to speak to the Manager and was told that the manager is only on duty Monday to Fri. Oh , I said..... ok then..... can you at least recommend another hotel, apartment anything that is in the local area that we can try get a room at. No .... I don't know of any.... was her answer!!!!. I was furious. How rude and unhelpful she was. I could almost see her rolling her eyes on the other side of the phone.

I also went onto webjet to see if we could find some other accommodation, as the apartments said they had availability, so I cannot understand how we could not be accommodated in some way.

My husband and I went out on the balcony and basically across the road were two other hotels. We phoned and managed to get a day room at the Novotel.

I guess if you leave your business to be run by young inexperienced kids, these are the kind of reviews you will be getting.

Never again!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
OaksLexic0n, Manager at Oaks Lexicon Apartments, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and I am astonished and very disappointed to hear that the front desk staff member was unable to offer you assistance regarding your late checkout as Oaks pride themselves on great customer service at all times. I sincerely apologise for the stress and inconvenience that this caused you.
Late checkouts are subject to availability but I can confirm we did have a little availability and although your family would have had to move apartments, you could have checked out at 5pm on the Sunday for an additional fee. I have spoken to the staff member involved as the service she provided you is simply unacceptable and I assure you out of the ordinary.
The front desk is manned by one member of staff at most times therefore if they have to attend to another guest's needs then they have to close up reception but are still contactable on the onsite mobile number which is listed on the closed sign.
Once again thank you for your invaluable feedback and really do hope that you choose to stay at an Oaks property again so you are able to experience the customer service that we pride ourselves on.
Kindest regards
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is an ok apart-hotel in central Brisbane, it is a little run down but still acceptable, the room I had was quite comfortable, when i first checked in I was happy to see the Foxtel box but then when I went to use it I was disappointed only 10 channels out of 200 are open for viewing, this must be the super basic package as most places in Brisbane I have stayed have the 'Platinum Accommodation' package which has every channel except for HD. Bed was very comfortable, firm but i like a firm bed, balcony was also great to look out over the west of the city. The reception staff, well just the two on Wed 9 Oct lunchtime were very rude as one of them whispered (loudly) a very rude comment about myself and the other one laughed, as I walked through the lobby, I guess this must be normal in a small town like Brisbane, very sad, they really should not be working in hospitality as they obviously do not want to be there nor do they care about their guests.
Overall the property is acceptable but the quality of the staff is very poor so I would not recommend this property to anyone, perhaps once there has been a clear out of reception staff, but no, I will not be back.

Room Tip: Higher the better as Ann St is very busy 24/7, anywhere below level 15 you will need ear plugs.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
OaksLexic0n, Manager at Oaks Lexicon Apartments, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thank you for providing your feedback about your recent stay at Oaks Lexicon and I am very disappointed to hear that you believe that the staff were being rude about you as we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. I will address this issue immediately with all the staff as the behaviour you have reported is not acceptable.
Regarding the Foxtel, I note your comments and have passed them to our Head Office department who deal with the Foxtel agreement.
We are working on a painting refurbishment plan which will hopefully be rolled out across all the apartments in the next couple of months.
Kind regards

Been to Oaks Lexicon Apartments? Share your experiences!