“Fab all round....” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Brisbane, Australia
“Fab all round....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

Firstly, loved everything from the word go....

At very short notice, I emailed the restaurant to ask for a booth for our Friday evening reservation as it was our 5 year wedding anniversary and they happily accommodated my special request.

The service was fabulous, we were never without a glass of water or drinks. The staff were observant and naturally friendly without being annoying.

The food was beautifully presented, and tasted just as good as it looked. The stand outs were the fish cakes and pot stickers as entrees, followed by generously sized mains. The whole snapper (which is big enough to share) was presented in a way I had not seen before and had the perfect balance of salty, sweet & sour. My husband had the duck, which once again was a stand out in terms of presentation, flavour and serving size.

We skipped dessert but transferred to the sunken bar to finish our drinks.

The overall ambiance & decore of the restaurant is lovely, especially the exposed brick wall, dimmed lighting, open kitchen & stunning function room downstairs. I also liked the attention to detail in the toilet in terms of individually wrapped hand towels.

Without a doubt, we will be back....

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Sydney, Australia
“Tremendously flavoursome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

This is the second time I've eaten at BirdCage and I'll certainly be going back again.

We had the share plate for the entree which was a sample of 4 items from the entree menu, all of which had their own unique sauce to accompany it. Simple Asian food but with a tremendous kick and full of flavour. A great start.

I then had the jungle curry (prawns & scallops) which certainly has a decent shot of chilli but is just right. My business partner had the whole snapper which he enjoyed immensely.

Dessert was the lemongrass and ginger brulee. My favourite course. So enjoyable eating a fruity brulee after a spicy meal.

A good bottle of red at a reasonable price with good service rounded the meal out perfectly.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
BirdCage_Gabba, Owner at Birdcage Restaurant, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Thank you for dining at BirdCage recently and for your feedback. I am always pleased to hear that guests have enjoyed the food and service. Great to hear you enjoyed the Jungle Curry, which does pack quite a punch. Look forward to seeing you again soon. Kind regards, Darryl
Perth, Australia
“Wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Spent a lovely evening dining,food is fabulous,wait staff gorgeous,well worth making this my local choice

Thank you for dining at BirdCage and for your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the evening and I look forward to seeing you back again soon. Kind regards. Darryl
“Quality food and drinks in a cool atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Birdcage oozes a lot of atmosphere even before you take you seat. We had a booth seat, which was very cool, but what was impressive was the quality drinks and food menu without feeling it had to be too overpriced. The staff were attentive and asked us if there was a special occasion (although the flowers probably gave it away), it was nice for them to make chit-chat that was not pretentious. We ordered two seafood dishes, one of them was special and gave a very interesting dining experience as we were given a board and a tool (like a rolling pin) to crack open the crab shell. A fussy eater would have scoffed at the DIY-style, but we thought it added to the overall experience. Highly recommend the salt & pepper squid, it has a lot more flavour without being overly salty, like most lesser quality s&p squid dishes. Cocktail we ordered was also great (it was one of the signature cocktails, but forgot the name). Thanks and we will be back!

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for dining at BirdCage and my apologies for the delayed response. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the food and service, along with the crab special we had on that night. In my excitement and haste to put that on the menu for the night, I did forget to get some crab crackers but it worked out in the end. Hope to see you at BirdCage again soon. Kind regards. Darryl
Brisbane
“Great find in the Gabba”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

My husband and I visited this restaurant after reading an article in a magazine. I worked in the Gabba area 30 years ago so was interested to see what the area was like now. We were both impressed with the restaurant and the surrounding area , many eateries and bars with a great vibe. Birdcage has a great atmosphere . The staff were very pleasant and attentive. Our food was delicious, the slow braised beef was a taste sensation. The crispy duck and the pork belly mains had lots of flavour, though the pork belly was served just warm and did not seem to have any crackling. We shared the banana fritters for dessert (this is designed as a share dish), it was amazing, and it was huge, I think 4 people could have shared it! In fact, all of the meals were very generous serving sizes so good value for money. I had a couple of fantastic Mojitos (it is hard to find a good one). Their cocktail list is impressive. We would definitely go back.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
BirdCage_Gabba, Owner at Birdcage Restaurant, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thank you four dining at BirdCage recently and your feedback is appreciated. The percent has certainly changed over the years although still retains some of Brisbane's suburban heritage buildings. Glad to hear you enjoyed the food and my apologies if the Pork Belly did not have any crackling as it should have. The Crispy duck is a new dish and proving very popular with guests. Look forward to seeing you at BirdCage again in the near future. Kind regards, Darryl