“Great Steak” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Alexandra Headland, Australia
“Great Steak”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is a relatively new eatery in Kangaroo Point in an established setting where at least two others have tried before. The Esca team would have to be the best. The family service is good and the food excellent with the steak being almost as good as the best I have eaten - that being at the Red Cat in New York. We have eaten there 4 times since they opened and only have a couple of complaints. On each occasion we have had the Parfait as a shared entrée and it is delicious served in a very nice container along with two small slices of toast which were not really enough to handle the very healthy serving of pate for one person let a lone two. On the second and third times we had this entree we asked for a couple of additional pieces of toast and this was delivered at no extra cost. On our most recent visit we again asked for some extra toast and we were presented with 4 extra pieces the sting in the tail this time was that we were charged an extra $5!!!!! which makes the $17 entree now a $22 entree which is a bit over the top for an extra 4 small slices of toast. The only other issue is the corkage charge for the first 3 visits the corkage charge was $8 a bottle the last time it was $10 I wonder what it will be next time we visit???? and we will.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

86% Recommend
“Just devine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Saw this restaurant advertised in the Entertainment Book and thought we'd give it a go, and we're so glad we did because we've found a new gem in Brisbane. The only con I have which has nothing to do with the restaurant, minimum parking. We circled for ages and then we knew we were in for a walk. So be mindful of the parking around the apartments and other restaurants. I had the chicken breast for dinner and my partner had the barramundi, also ordered a side of the homemade chips and aioli (best aioli i've ever had by the way), and everything was devine, we tried eachothers and agreed wholeheartedly. We don't normally have dessert but we did, I had the chocolate parfait and my partner had the mango sorbet, again heaven on a plate. There were only 3 other tables having dinner at the same time as us and everyone was nodding and agreeing how great the food was. The service was great and the atmosphere was nice. I can't wait to go back for another delicious meal.

• Visited March 2013
“A great local treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Having recently moved into an apartment in Kangaroo Point we have tried Esca twice and we are very impressed with the quality & presentation of the food. As a family run business the service is friendly but efficient. We can highly recommend the fish dishes especially the barramundi with olive tapenade. The prawns for entree were succulent and attractively presented. For a decadent desert try the chocolate parfait.
It is so nice to have such an excellent restaurant within walking distance of our new home.
I can't wait to try the high tea.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brisbane, Australia
“ESCA Kangaroo Point_ 3rd time lucky”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

ESCA is the 3rd iteration of this site at Kangaroo Point (it was originally Butter then Garnish) but ESCA has to be the best of the three. The food and service is exceptional and the "wait staff" actually seem like they like what they are doing and therefore do it well!

We dined at ESCA on a busy Friday night - it is the first time I have seen the restaurant full for years... every table had happy customers enjoying the wonderful food. We both had the prawn entre which was delicious and I had the barramundi and my friend the gold ring snapper. Both dishes were fantastic and we intend to go back this week and try something different from the exciting and eclectic menu.

The only remote negative is that the wine list is limited and some bottles a bit expensive but they are happy for you to BYO wine but there is a $10 corkage.

Everyone raves about the breakfasts and the Sunday afternoon music and drinks session but I have not been to either so this will have to be something to try in the future... I can't wait!

If you're a local please try ESCA so we can support this family run business - if you're not a local please venture to Kangaroo Point and try it so we can sustain a great place to eat in this part of Brisbane.

• Visited February 2013
“The terrine is scary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Esca is our new local restaurant, and it is magic. WE had a weekend breakfast there recently and gave it ticks all round. Then we went for dinner. On my right was a bloke having a steak and it was perfect medium rare. He had this little pot of sizzling potato. Smelled amazing. But on my left was a bloke tucking into a slice of pork terrine, home made, that was so big it should have been a main course. So beware. I had the best chicken I've eaten for a long time and Karen had a little vegetarian pie thing. It too was great. It's a family restaurant, headed by a chef who was trained in top establishments in London. He wants to do simple Australian modern, he told me, but with top ingredients. For instance, they import wild barramundi from north western Australia, would you believe. Esca is a great place in a Queensland summer to just sit outside in the shade, listen to the birds all around and order something to eat when you feel like it. No rush. Check the website for opening hours.

• Visited January 2013