“Very nice money well spent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Punthill Brisbane

You added Punthill Brisbane to your Saves list
Punthill Brisbane
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   40 Astor Terrace | Spring Hill, Brisbane, Queensland 4000, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Stay and Save 25%
Ranked #7 of 161 Hotels in Brisbane
Sydney, Australia
“Very nice money well spent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Want a room, HUGE. Bed was as soft a a cloud, loved it very clean and safe.

Nice pool and gym down stairs and had free wifi. I was only there on night for business but wanted to stay to really joy the room.

The room was equiped with everything you need to cook a nice meal of just something basic, location is perfect as the main shops, resturant area and casino are all within a 5 minute walk. It is located on a bit of a hill but nothing to bad.

My room was facing the pool which had no view at all expect into some office blocks, which on the good side were empty after 5pm. But if book again well ask for city view it would be great from this hotel. All in All a must try you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: room facing street.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Brisbane, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear Barry1-4travel,
Thank you for your wonderful review of Punthill Brisbane - we are delighted that you had a great stay.
We do not have great views if you face away from the street although you do of course have a veiw of our very inviting swimming pool!
We look forward to welcoming you back to Punthill soon.
Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Only stayed one night, and did not cook, but will look to stay there again when next in Brisbane. Clean, spacious, comfortable, quiet, 10 minutes to central train station dragging heavy cases, 10 minutes to major shopping area in Brisbane (including Coles supermarket).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear GentlemanAuditor,
Thanks for your review of Punthill Brisbane.
We are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your overnight stay, and are also looking forward to a return visit!
We look forward to welcoming you back to Punthill in the future.
Maple Ridge BC Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is one of a chain of apartment hotels and has opened recently. Looks like they will be adding restaurant soon. Good location near Brisbane central business district and fairly close to train and bus stations. Excellent large room with desk, couch, kitchen area, comfortable bed, lots of closet space, and a balcony. Small bathroom but very nice. Kitchen has a two element electric stove, large fridge, dishwasher and all the plates, dishes, utensils etc. Great place to stay as a tourist or business person. As with the other Punthill we stayed in (Melbourne), the gym is very small with minimal equipment, and the pool is also small. We stayed 4 nights and were pleased with our choice, Nice staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Brisbane, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear old-jogger,
Thanks for taking the time to provide your review of Punthill Brisbane.
As you mentioned, Punthill has 11 locations in and around Melbourne as well as Punthill Brisbane which is our first property in Queensland. The restaurant at the Brisbane property is due to open at the end of September.
The gym does include a multi gym, treadmill, exercise bike and loose items.
We are so pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and look forward to welcoming you back to Punthill again - whether it be in Brisbane and/or Melbourne!
Fraser Coast, Qld
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

The apartments are beautifully renovated with the medium-to-long term guest in mind. I have travelled quite a bit for business in my day and the setup here is among the best I have seen. The rooms are spacious so you don't get that sardine feeling. The kitchen, bathroom and closet space are cleverly designed to offer maximum storage in a small area. There is a good size balcony (or at least there was in my apartment). There are cafes close by (the one next door is great) and it's a short walk to the CBD/Queen St Mall If I had to make frequent and/or multi day business trips to Brisbane I would definitely stay here. Might be on the small side for a family outing unless you're a family of 2 or 3. The staff are helpful and friendly, and as others have mentioned the decor is cool too.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Brisbane, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear CaptainVegetable,
Thanks so much for taking the time to provide your comments regarding Punthill Brisbane.
We are so pleased that you enjoyed the apartments, facilities and service at the property.
Our on site restaurant is due to open in late September.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Punthill in the future.
Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The actual class of this hotel is unclear as Tripadvisor and the third-party site I made my reservation through categorised it as unofficial 4.5 stars whereas Punthill Brisbane's own site categorised it as 4 maple leaves (= 4 stars?). I'll be generous and accept it as a technical 4 star equivalent hotel. Why does this matter? It's because of my expectation. I think the apartment is more in line with my expectation for a 3.5 star hotel.

Let's start with the disappointments to get it out of the way. The gym is equipped for light exercises only including lightweight dumbbells (no bench). Parking costs $25 per day but is secured and you can come and go as you please. The kitchenette is very small and the fittings are not of a 4 star calibre, neither are the toiletries provided. On only one of the 4 days was housekeeping sorely lacking as it consisted only of bed-making and change of towels.

Now the good stuff. The room was clean and comes with an ample fridge complete with freezer, a balcony where you can enjoy breakfast or read in the winter sun and a nice sized TV. The bathroom has a hair dryer. If you have kids, there's space for them to let off steam in the pool and gym area. The staff in reception is very helpful. Reception is unavailable after 8pm and I received fantastic assistance from Punthill's main switchboard (be sure to have the 1300 number with you). Punthill was organised enough that the switchboard was able to let me into the hotel's secure carpark after my miscommunication with reception earlier. The hotel is about a 5 minute walk to Central station and a 10 minute walk into CBD or Roma St Parkland or local supermarket; a very convenient location without being in the midst of the busyness. There is even a free internet-linked computer and book exchange in the lobby.

It would be nice to include in the room instruction on how to operate the dishwasher, a list of nearby restaurants and charges for making external calls.

Now that I know what to expect I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear gjabba,
Thank you for your review of Punthill Brisbane.
We are delighted that you liked us enough to stay again and have to insist that we are four and a half star standard!
Our gym contains a multi gym, treadmill, exercise bike and loose items, but is not a serious gym with bench press etc. Our parking is significantly cheaper than all the surrounding hotels.
We do feel that the kitchen in each apartment is very well stocked but are more than happy to provide additional items on request.
We will certainly address your comment regarding housekeeping.
We do look forward to welcoming you back to Punthill again in the future.
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed here for 2 x nights - Fri & Sat. We had a super late check-in (past midnight) which I was conerned about however it was so easy - there was a human at the end of the intercom who gave us instructions on how to get our key. The hotel lobby was so cute and arty, even leading up to the room the little touches made me feel like I had chosed the right place to stay. Room was SUPER spacious with a small kitchenette (inc microwave). We were on the 10th floor with a large balcony, big TV couch, everything you would need and expect in a serviced apartment. I was so pleasantly surprised - the room was honestly really really lovely. Parking was $25 a day however as we were guests over the weekend we got away with street parking on Astor Terrace. There are plenty of lane-ways and other street parking a short walk away. Punthill is located in what I could only assume to be the "business" district of the CBD so not a great deal of amenities or food spots. There was a 7-Eleven on the next street. However directly next door was the Diamante Hotel which had an on-site restaurant. I really loved staying here; for a reasonable price I felt extraordinarily comfortable.

Room Tip: Request a higher level as this is what this review is based on :-)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear tboandspit,
Thanks for taking the time to provide your lovely review of Punthill Brisbane.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found the apartments so comfortable.
Our on site restaurant is due to open in late September of this year and we will be providing breakfast, lunch and dinner. The area is becoming much more vibrant with a Lebanese restaurant opening soon and a Chinese restaurant about to open.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Punthill soon.
Fort Dauphin, Madagascar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel before (perhaps a year ago) but didn't review it at the time as it was under construction, with the pool area and gym still not complete.

You get an instant feeling of being in a protected space when you come into this hotel. It is chic and very smart, a little bit zen, very up to date. Reception and booking all painless here, with friendly people in charge at their very informal-feeling front desk. The rooms are beautiful, not really large, but perfectly formed. Giant bed (is it a king?) with very good linen, nice and comfy, small lounge, fully equipped kitchen with plenty of glassware, crockery, pots & pans... good lighting, plenty of good wardrobes, with all of the things that you would expect such as a good iron, etc. Nice adequate bathroom, but wow a bath would be nice. The place is very smart. It looks and feels really good. The decor is excellent. The rooms all have a private terrace, mine with a fantastic city view. Six or seven minutes walk and you are in the city centre for shopping.

Now there are a couple of things that need to be said...

I arrived thirsty and remembered that there was a vending machine at reception, so while I was checking in I went to look for water, but unfortunately the vending machine was empty except for four cans of pepsi. No water. I asked for water. The receptionist pointed me to a complimentary glass jar of water on the front desk, which I gratefully guzzled from... to discover that the water was stale and tasted like mould. It was really rotten. I asked the girls if there was anywhere that I could get water and they said "the tap water is fine", each of them with their bottles of water in front of them on the reception desk. I suggest to management that making sure that bottled water is available to clients is an absolute minimum requirement. Likewise, when I asked for ice, I was told to go to the corner store. Fair enough, but it wouldn't be too difficult to put in a fridge full of water and an ice machine, just one, for the apartments to share. In their favour, the fridge in the room was really good and had a kind-of little ice-maker in the freezer, which gave me a few cubes in a couple of hours. Not enough to fill an ice-bucket and unsatisfactory for a tired traveller who wants a G & T with clinking ice-cubes as soon as they arrive... but anyway...

The pool area is new but already looks a bit sad and unloved. The "gym" (3 pieces of exercise equipment in an open shed in the pool area) is uninviting, cold in the winter (and I suspect stinking hot in the summer)...

The halls and common areas are getting a little bit knocked-around and could do with some love.

The towels were a bit worn out, thin and threadbare.

In general I love this hotel and will stay again and again. In fact this morning I longed to stay another night to have a good sleep in, in that wonderful bed, but I had to get up and go, I had somewhere to be.

Room Tip: I think the view would be better from the front of the hotel than from those at the rear.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Brisbane, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Brett_Massoud,
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and in room facilities at Punthill Brisbane.
With regards to the vending machine, we have just contracted a new operator as the existing one cannot seem to maintain the current stock levels.
Water at the front desk is refreshed at least twice a day.
There is still a lot of planting and landscaping to be done in the very near future around the pool and gym areas. Sorry - most guests love the open air gym; we feel it is very Brisbane!
Our cafe will be complete by the end of October.
Overall we are so pleased that you loved us, and we look forward to being able to welcome you back to Punthill in the future.
Kind regards,

Been to Punthill Brisbane? Share your experiences!