“Excellence Korean BBQ, Good Service.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Korean
Description: This is a relatively new establishment that has opened in Brisbane
Description: This is a relatively new establishment that has opened in Brisbane
Brisbane, Australia
“Excellence Korean BBQ, Good Service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Their BBQ was so fresh with authentic taste and high quality. The complimentary side dishes were so tasty.

Their service was excellent a waiter supervisor prepare the grill and 1st round of meat into the grill so perfectly. My BYO wine was served professionally. However, their service might not be stable. My friend went there with someone else on a very busy day before Christmas. She told me the service was so terrified, difference from the time she went with me.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

63% Recommend
Sydney, Australia
“Mixed feelings”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I dined at this restaurant last month and first of all, the service can be really slow. This place was understaffed with only 2-3 wait staff.

The food however wasn't too bad, authentic flavours and very hot stone pots. I tried their sweet and spicy stone bowl (bulgogi) and some dumplings to my satisfaction.

However, it doesn't get any better from there! The restaurant then tried to overcharge me $40 for a $15 dollar dish - claiming that I had a 'hot pot' to share instead of a 'stone bowl'. This was extremely ridiculous and I don't think I'd ever go back again with that kind of fraudulent pricing. You can clearly see the difference between a hotpot two share that boils on your table compared to a small lunch sized stone bowl. I don't think I've ever encountered such fraudulent and dodgy practices from all the reviews I've undertaken on tripadvisor.

If this sounds hard to believe, imagine my thoughts when they tried this on me! Shame!

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tampa, Florida
“Best place in Brizzy for real Korean food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Lived in Korea for seven years and developed a taste for Korean food, especially barbecue. In July I was in Brisbane for a Reunion and had brought along my grandson, who had visited me in Korea. I saw far more Asians in Brisbane than I had on previous visits, and recognized many as Koreans. The Maru Korean Restaurant is located on Elizabeth street, in the heart of Brisbane, down a few streets down from the Queen Street "Mall". We were touring the city and decided to go in at lunch time. The place was absolutely mobbed with young Koreans. Indeed, we were probably the only two non-Asians there. They had a choice of Korean lunch specials for $9.99 (Aussie), which beside the standard bulgogi, Kalbi (short ribs), and bibimbop (rice, spicy meat, topped with an egg), included Korean barbecued squid. The lunch-time crowd appeared mostly student age, and they were desperate to get served. So, service was slow. Still, when our squid finally did come it was delicious and tasted exactly as the squid dishes we'd eaten in Korea. We therefore marked the Maru as a place to return to. OVer the three weeks in and out of Brisbane, we returned two more times, avoiding lunch hour. The service then was very good, the clientele varied (and quieter), and food as good as the first time. I'm sure that there's a superior Korean restaurant in Sydney someplace, but the Maru is both good value and great and authentic Korean food. If you're in Brisbane, don't miss it.

• Visited August 2012