“Stay from Hell!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #143 of 165 hotels in Brisbane
Perth, Australia
“Stay from Hell!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

After flying in to Brrisbane at 5.30am I needed to stay at the airport for 3 hours so not to arrive at the apartments before 9.am as there is no reception till then.
Then needed to wait another 3 hours for a room.
Desperate for sleep, I was then told that there was construction work happening, there was drilling, hammering and workman yelling til 3.00pm
The room is dated and desperately needs renovation. The carpets were dirty with dark stains.
When I asked for soap, I was told to use the shower gel which was some jelly like soap.
The shampoo/conditioner was hopeless.
The lady at the front desk, (when she was there) was pleasant enough.
I'll make sure that I'll never ever stay here again!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

18 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

I booked a room with Sedgebrook apartments in February 2011 and arrived in April 2011.
I found them via wotif.com and thought the pictures, location and description looked okay.

I rang them to book a 1 week stay and they told me their rate. I replied, that's not what it says on wotif.com and their reply was, 'oh, we have raised our rates, but haven't been able to change it on that site.' So I asked if they could honour the rate anyway and that was confirmed. Lucky me, I thought.

I was told that if I arrived after 5pm I should follow their directions to retrieve the room key.
I told them that I was going to arrive before 5pm. Which I did, but when I arrived the lady at the reception showed me my invoice. They'd taken the whole amount due for that week from my credit card. I thought, that's odd, that wasn't agreed upon, but left it at that.

As I went to my room, the hallway on my floor smelled like cooked food. I figured later on that it was from the sushi place downstairs.
As I entered my room, I noticed scaffolding all around my balcony, the room and bathroom.

If I worked here, I would have given the guest (who booked months ahead), the option to find another place to stay. They didn't and by the time I wanted to change rooms, I was told the only other available room was above mine, with scaffolding as well.
I went outside and noticed there weren't many other rooms affected by this.
So I assume that because I got the room for the old rate, I was placed in the back and not given a nicer room.

I tried to find another location, but because it was such late notice, everything in the area was fully booked. I had to stay at Sedgebrook.
Everyday, except for the weekend, I was woken at 6.30am from the workmen who started walking up and down the scaffolding. This went on for a while and I had to close the blinds so not to look straight into a trademen's face.

I didn't enjoy my stay. Perhaps if the management just left this room empty, and move me to the front instead of accepting more bookings, or at least try feel bad about this, I might have enjoyed my stay.

Oh.. there was a note in the bathroom saying that you have to open the bathroom window in order to let the steam out, because the steam WILL set the smoke alarm off and if it does, I am responsible for the costs (or something).
By opening the bathroom window in the shower area, the workmen would see inside clearly. Not good.
Not nice.
Not warm and welcoming.
Not coming back and won't recommend this place to my friends.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Ballina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

We came up to Brisdbane to see a comedy show and needed something close by.
We always stay at very classy places when we come up and by the photos this place looked very nice.

BUT it was very hard to locate, took us about 20mins driving around in the rain.
Its above a sushi shop and has barely any signage except "serviced apartments".

When we checked in the lady at reception first didnt have any idea about our booking and took forever to find it after telling us no you have to pay if you want to stay here.
Then when she finally found it she just gave us the keys, didnt tell us what room we were in and told us that we had to clean the room before we left and also told us nothing about the car spaces until i brought it up. She said if there is someone in your space park in another space and told us the numbers we could park in.

So we drove down to the parking lot and found our space was occupied so we parked in one of the other ones we were told to and then notified the reception lady what we had done. She said she would fix it up.

BUT the next morning when we went to our car there was a note saying that our car will be towed, we are not allowed to park here because we are not guests and havnt paid for the spot.
We looked around and found that our room number parking spot was free so we moved the car there.
Surprised, we went to reception to tell someone but they were gone for the day. and there was no number to call.

Then later on that night there was another note left on our car.
This time it was abusive and saying our car is going to be towed and that we have ignored all contact from them.

So again we went to reception but no one was there so we wrote a note on the back of their note and attached a printed copy of our booking receipt to it and left it at reception.

When we checked out the next day she was very rude and offered no appology or explanation.

We will never ever be back again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

We stayed at the Sedgebrook for four weeks in March/ April and were really pleased with this accomodation.

The apartment was small but pleasantly decorated with a decent sized balcony (with table and chairs) overlooking the CBD. The kitchen was fully equipped with oven, microwave, dishwasher and pans, plates, cutlery etc and there is a washer and dryer in the bathroom so it was ideal for a longer stay. There is a small lounge area with a TV and stereo and a dining table & chairs. The apartments are cleaned weekly and fresh towels and bed linen provided.

The location is excellent; less than 10 minutes walk from the very centre of Brisbane, and there are several bars, restaurants, shops even closer than that.

I'd have no hesitation in staying here again.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — No pool!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

We tried to contact these apartments via email but go no response. However, we subsequently found a deal online at Wotif.com for a one bedroom apartment for AU $99 a night (June 08).

We arrived in Brisbane early in the morning, and were fortunate enough to be let into our apartment straight away at 9am. This really meant a lot after a sleepless flight from the UK.

The apartment itself was compact but had everything we needed for a week in Brisbane. The décor is undoubtedly dated but everything seemed to work. Though the place was generally clean, I think it could do with a bit of a detail clean, to just make it feel a little bit fresher. The old adage is that you should feel like the first person using a hotel room, but in this case we didn't. The apartment was a bit dusty and we weren’t sure how long it had been sitting vacant. Really comfy bed but some road noise at night was sometimes a little irritating.

Location is generally good and close to the CBD, but the position on a steep hill may be problematic for some. Spring Hill area itself has everything you need in terms of basic provisions (coffee shop, mini market, off-license, ATMS etc) but is generally quiet and uninteresting.

Despite these negatives, I would recommend this place overall if you have a longer stay in Bris (e.g. a week or more), and at the price we paid it also represented good value for money.

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — Could do with a bit of sprucing up
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
perth, western australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2006

This appt complex is a great find in Brisbane. It's a little different in that they are managed apartments so there is no real reception desk and it is best to book online. So if you need after hours attendance, there is none. Otherwise they are very clean, compact appts that seem very new. All rooms have spas with washing machines and dryers, great for longer stays. The only slight downside is that the bedroom is not air-conditioned (well in 1 bedroom apartments they don't anyway) but it is not unbearble. They have views into the city and is well within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2005

Been to The Sedgebrook on Leichhardt? Share your experiences!