“Fawlty - towers - what do you expect? Don´t stay there!” 1 of 5 stars

Milton Motel Apartments
19 Sheehan St | Milton, Brisbane, Queensland 4064, Australia   |
Ranked #149 of 165 Hotels in Brisbane
Singapore
“Fawlty - towers - what do you expect? Don´t stay there!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

I booked the hotel on the internet for 7 day at 77 per night including kitchen, en suite bathroom. On the day of the arrival Mr. F pointed out when showing the apartment that I should have booked for a better rate to get a better room (On the internet there was no difference between the different apartments). He directly started to complain about my booking and that therefore he can only give me a special room. It was Harry potters room under the staircase: No Kitchen, no en suite bathroom, no windows, cold and ugly and dark. I refused to take this apartment and wanted my money back what after long discussion happened. Impossible service and behaviour. Thank god I had a print out with me to prove what he had written in the internet! After this unpleasant event i had to go and find another room somewhere in Brisbane late at night. Thanks to Mr. Fawlty!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Toowoomba, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

We would just like to give some feedback on the motel we stayed at this weekend.
We booked a room at Milton Motel Apartment with 2 double beds for 2 couples for 2 nights.
When we arrived the bedding was 2 singles and 1 double, we approached the management to enquire if this could be changed to our original booking however he was extremely rude to us.
His solution was to tell us to leave if we "didn't like it" and wished us "good luck" in finding somewhere else to stay on the night.
As we has just driven 4 hours, away and only arrived at 7.30pm we didn't feel like searching for somewhere else to stay.
When we arrived, we found that the hotel was right next to the train line, very noisy, small and dirty.
The manager was very very rude and I would recommend that you find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Western Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

We stayed here for 6 nights with our toddler. It is in a very convenient location, 5 minutes from Milton Station, which itself is only a couple of minutes to Roma Street Station in Brisbane. Also close to Park Street restaurant strip. A small self-contained room with ensuite, kitchen and tv. If you are looking for cheap, clean and convenient this is it!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Taree
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

My first impressions were favourable. The apartment had everything I needed for a week of studying during the day and visiting family on the weekend and evenings. While the Manager/Owner/Host presented as disinterested and unwelcoming at first, this did not faze me - then.

Until I found out he had only booked me in for 6 nights, not the 7 arranged. No apology, he was booked out, had made a mistake.

Then the workmen fitting air conditioners all day making a noise so I couldn't study.

And then when I was lying on my bed trying to have a nap and heard the door open - no knock, just opened and closed. I locked it but someone again tried to open it. When I mentioned this to Mr Fawlty, he asked if I had the 'do not disturb' sign on the door. I said no, because I had assumed someone would knock first and not just enter my room. He just looked at me nonchalantly and said “Well they should have”.

The final straw came yesterday when I had just finished my shower at 8:45 AM and there was a knock on my door. It was Mr Fawlty with a workman. He said the workman was there to install an air-conditioner in my room. He thought I had left for the day (what gave him this idea I did not know). I said "Do you mind if I get dressed and I will come down and speak with you?" I came down and said I would go out at 11:00 AM if the workmen needed access to my room., although I said I was unhappy that this had not been discussed with me first, and he said " I told you this morning". I said that perhaps the room should not have been rented if this work needed doing, and he said "well, it would never get done would it?"

Anyway, my daughter-in-law and I went out for the couple of hours the workmen said they would be. I came back and they still needed another 1.5 hours to finish the job. Mr Fawlty was not apologetic at all, and when I said I was very unhappy with what was happening, as we walked out, we heard him mutter under his breath a la Mr Fawlty, "Well, you won't want to come back will you?"

So I took my study books and went to a park to study. I came back at 4:00 Pm to find Mr Fawlty taking a vacuum cleaner to my room and proceeded to clean up the mess and water from the workmen. I did not speak with him I was so angry.

Again when I went out this afternoon, there was evidence someone had been in my room, despite the sign on my door not to be disturbed. All day today there were workmen drilling and moving furniture upstairs, so again I could not study or sleep.

I am a well travelled person, both for holidays and for work. I have never put pen to paper (or mouse to keyboard) about any other accommodation, but I feel people need to be warned about Mr Fawlty - arrogant, not customer focussed, unwelcoming and will not respect your privacy. And please check your booking dates. People like this who do not like people, have no people skills and are irritated by customers should not be in this business.

It is such a pity because the place is great as is the location. I will be taking this further with a formal complaint, but as Tripadvisor is my travel bible, I want other people to know. If you can ignore him, then the place is fine. I was prevented from being in my room for 5 hours yesterday and missed a day to study because of the mistake in the booking. And still no apology or attempts to redress the errors.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

Great location - and nice place for small family to stay

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

Stayed at [--] (Villa Boheme) for 3 nights in a bottom floor apartment. The room was gorgeous with a good layout, cute bedsheets, full kitchen, bathroom with laundry and a large outdoor private courtyard area which I found very accommodating.

The room had everything you would expect in a self contained serviced apartment, though ensure you bring your own shampoo/conditioner, body wash, hair dryer and laundry powder as these items are not included. Internet is Wifi hotspot access only charged to your credit card. The TV had a few good cable channels including Fox8 and a movie channel as well as several sports channels.

The service, however, I found unsatisfying. When I first arrived at the hotel to check in, there was nobody at the desk, only a note with a name and number to call. When I reached the hotel manager and told him my name, he simply told me to go behind the counter myself and take the key to let myself in. During my 3 nights there I was never once asked for identification.

The reception was generally unhelpful. Even during the opening hours there was never anybody there, and you had to ring a bell or run around trying to find a cleaner to get any questions answered. I asked for a hairdryer several times and was told it would be left in my room, but I never received one.

Overall the room is great, the location is fantastic next to the Park Rd strip of cafes and close to the city and Brisbane River, so if you don't mind keeping to yourself and you don't require much help from reception then go for it!

(Also note that during the night, due to proximity to train lines, you can hear the train go past every hour or so. If you are sleeping next to the window this can be very irritating to light sleepers.)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Queensland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

We stayed for 1 night for the double header game of football at Suncorp Stadium. The unit was lovely and clean with all the facilities you would expect. We had an undercover garage, full kitchen facilities and an ensuite off of the master bedroom, aircon throughout the unit and only about an 800m walk to the Stadium.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Milton Motel Apartments? Share your experiences!