“Looks can be deceiving” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Metropolitan Motor Inn

You added Metropolitan Motor Inn to your Saves list
Metropolitan Motor Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   106 Leichhardt Street | Spring Hill, Brisbane, Queensland 4001, Australia   |
Ranked #121 of 165 Hotels in Brisbane
Brisbane, Australia
“Looks can be deceiving”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I stayed at this motel as a result of a booking from work. The location is central to Brisbane City and well positioned to restaurants.

My first impression of the premises was not positive. I thought it looked dated and more of a backpacker-style.

After more reflection, this is a very tidy motel. Certainly not five star, but comfortable. My bed was comfortable, and most importantly the room and the hallways were very clean.

I was, however, kept wake or woken during the night due to traffic as my room faced the roadway and it was quite noisy. There is a pub across the road, but there was no noise from there although I did stay on a Wednesday and Thursday night, not the peak Friday or Saturday nights.

The elevator is amazing in a bad way. It feels like it drops when it stops and really knocks you around. It feels like it is hanging from a thread and feels very unsafe.

The basement car park is not secure, that is, anyone can access the carpark from the road. There are no security gates.

The ladies on reception were very friendly, however i was disappointed I had to pay $15 extra to leave my car there another two hours after checking out - especially considering checkout time is 10am and there is a 4 hours gap for checking in at 2pm. Plus the carpark was not full.

Breakfast was at the onsite Alexander's restaurant. Continental breakfast was very good with plenty of cereal choices, toasts, coffee, teas, fruits, yoghurt . Bacon and scrambled eggs were very delicious. There were, however, two small buckets in the dining room on the floor that appeared to be for water leaks. The restaurant was very clean otherwise and pleasant to dine in. The young female assistant service the cooked breakfast was very pleasant.

It was not my choice of motel. I would stay there again, however I would check out other options as well.

Room Tip: I was in a room that faced the road. A room on the other side of the hallway may have been quieter...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Metropolitan106, General Manager at Metropolitan Motor Inn, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Guest,
We are pleased your business chose our establishment, we cater largely for the corporate crowd due to our location and service. I am glad to hear we changed your initial opinion of our property, this review title sounds like something my wife would say regarding meeting me for the first time haha, this said we are a 3.5 star rated venue but aim to give 5 star service! We can assist you with a quieter room on your next visit, please mention this upon booking; also we are most pleased breakfast was enjoyable and we can confirm further improvements to come in future.

Best regards,

The Metropolitan Motor Inn Family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Tweed Heads, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I have stayed here several times now and I am starting to doubt some of these reviews. Once again I found the reception staff (in my case Michelle) very obliging and friendly. Michelle was also understanding and receptive to my needs. She was one of the nicest people of I have ever met. I am a transgendered person and sometimes I worry about how people will react. There was no need for concern with Michelle. Yes, the lift is clunky, noisy and slow. However it got us to the right floor every time. Let us remember this inn is situated in the Brisbane CBD. There is public transport and taxis everywhere. The room was clean, the sheets crisp, the water hot with a bath if you want it. We had a quiet night's sleep and the next morning the continental breakfast was all I needed. If you want the usual small sausages, eggs and the like then you should go elsewhere. The coffee was hot and percolating nicely. The breakfast staff were friendly and helpful. The underground parking is free for guests. Michelle helped with recommendations for dinner at two adjacent pubs and we were not disappointed with her choices. Both pubs were within fifty metres of the Metropolitan. And their menus were well priced. There is a bottle shop next door if you want a wine on the roof terrace. The view is not a vista by any means but that is not the inn's fault. There was a nice breeze and the sunset made for a relaxing time. The room had all the facilities I required. Every time I go to Brisbane I would like to choose the Metropolitan. It is not five-star by any means but I found the atmosphere warm and friendly and the digs were comfortable. All this for just over $100 including breakfast? A bells and whistles motel? Of course not. Central, competitively priced, comfortable with friendly staff like Michelle? Yes indeed. No-brainer for me.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Mrs Gloria,
Thank you very much for the amazing review, we appreciate the kind words and agree that yes your review reflects the service and property that we truly are, We are so proud of our team and as you have mentioned namely Michelle who offers over thirty years of experience that truly comes through with her attentive service attributes, The Metropolitan Motor Inn team are thrilled to hear you feel welcome and comfortable staying with us!
We look forward to your next visit

Regards,

Tweed Heads, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Look, you want The Ritz for a squillion dollars a night? The Metropolitan isn't it. The lift is noisy and clunky. However, the reception was terrific. I cannot say enough about Michelle. So helpful! So were the breakfast people. The bed sheets were clean, the shower hot, the breakfast enough. There are two pubs both within fifty metres walking distance with great food for dinner. The inn is close to the CBD. There are a lot of complaints about the Metropolitan and I am starting to wonder what people want in the Brisbane CBD for such a competitive rate. It has free underground parking. There is public transport at the door. Taxis are everywhere. There is a nice garden court. Come on!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear John,

Thank you for the kind review, it is such a welcomed response to the efforts and hard work put in by our long standing dedicated team, Michelle has been receiving allot of reviews including letters and gifts in appreciation for her attentive and personal service, we are lucky to have her as part of the Family! We very much look forward to welcoming you back to your Brisbane Home.

Warm regards,

Bundaberg, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Stayed two nights on a girls trips away in December - We should have spent $100 (for both nights) to go elsewhere - anywhere. The lift worked the first day (but should come with a warning - it stopped so violently that we joked 'brace for impact') - didn't work the second day. Our room was basic (and we paid more than basic dollars), outdated and looked nothing like the website. A family of Cockroaches lived with the cups designed for in-room cuppa making (almost impossible to fill the kettle from the only tap - in the bathroom sink). The air-con only just worked! The whole place looked un-cared for. Bathroom was not clean - a bottle of bleach would have fixed it. Only one power point - difficult for everyone to charge their phones, etc. Wi-fi didn't work - was told their computer people were working on it!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights over a long weekend in Brisbane. Although old-fashioned and need of upgrading, our room was clean, the bed was comfortable and it had everything we needed. It was a spacious room with a good sized en-suite. The shower was pretty good although we didn’t get any more shampoo once the tiny bottle ran out on the first day, but managed to get some at reception. Opaque windows were good to let in light while still maintaining privacy, although the windows did not lock and opened onto the balcony!! We only had breakfast one morning, but it was very good. Only a continental available at the weekend, but there was a good range of cereals, yoghurt, fruit and bread. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, which made our stay very pleasant. Wi-fi is obtained through tokens available from reception, and whilst there was no issue in getting additional tokens, they were limited to 150mb each, which is very small if you’re using social media etc. It is well situated close to the CBD, Fortitude Valley and New Farm, all great for bars and restaurants, but it is on top of a hill, which some days was a bit of a struggle in the heat from the CBD. It is also within easy walking distance of the Roma Street bus and train stations. All-in-all very good value, a good location and great staff.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Fantastic staff...... who have made me feel so welcomed back here. Whilst this place is not the ritz, the staff make my stay comfortable as possible. It is close to the city and it has a free bus run on week days! Restaurant steaks were great.

Room Tip: Rooms off the side are better and quietier... esp on the weekend
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel back in November and it was the worst experience I have ever had in my time of many years of Business Travel. On a arrival I entered the lift to take me to reception and when we arrive at this floor the lift jumped as if it was going to fall!!!. I entered reception to find a scruffy man behind the reception desk wearing a T shirt and board shorts and he ignored me for about 5 mins until someone came to check me in I later found out this man was the Manager!!!, I wasn't game to use the lift after my first experience so used the stairs, on arrival to my floor I thought I had gone back in time it was very dated but the worse was still to come, the bathroom in my room was dirty and very much not had any attention since the 70's, I could not tell which was the hot and cold tap as they were so old they weren't colour coded, I then rang down to reception to make a reservation for dinner and was told the restaurant was closed!! but was never told this when I booked or even when I checked in.!!
Also the room didn't even have any power points next to the bed to plug my iphone in!!
My advise stay away from this place I felt dirty leaving there even though I had showered before I left NEVER AGAIN

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Metropolitan Motor Inn? Share your experiences!