“Great location and very clean budget accommodation.” 3 of 5 stars

Annie's Shandon Inn
405 Upper Edward St, Brisbane, Queensland 4000, Australia   |
Ranked #20 of 63 Brisbane B&B and Inns
California
“Great location and very clean budget accommodation.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

We stayed at Annies Shandon Inn and while it is in need of re-decorating, the new Irish Managers Gillian and Mark are working on this and really see where changed need to be made to bring this B&B up to date. That being said we were very satisified with Room 20. 1Double/1Twin with a nice size bathroom ensuite. Breakfast was more than adequate with Juice, Cereal, Toast made to order and all the tea and coffee you care to drink. Locatuion, Location, Location. Minutes walk down the hill to Queen St Mall and the Free City Loop Bus stops right opposite the B&B so no need for climbing hills. They are several local restaurants, a bottle shop etc with minutes of the B&B.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Outer Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

Yes it is old and does need repairs but there's a kinda antique air about the place,I guess it depends on how you view things,if you want 5 star accomodation go to a big city hotel,if you want cheap accomodation and a quaint/quirky place go to Annie's Inn.I have been to Annies quite a few times over the years and all the married couples looking after Annie's Inn have been just lovely,to me anyway...there was only one time I fould a man not married I believe a friend of the owners and I thought he was full of himself,I get along with anyone and I got along with him too but yer he was full of himself...but that won't deter me going there again,I live in outer Brisbane,when my kids have had modeling and other things over days or a week,that is where I go,I have always felt welcome and comfortable there.And expect to go there again in the near future....

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Townsville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

I think people's experiences with Annies Inn depends on which staff member is working at the time. I stayed there December 2008, and really liked it. Staff on at the time were the fairly new managers, and they are lovely people. But I heard that if one of the other staff is in charge, expect poor treatment.
The building itself is has a great "feel" and loads of character, unlike most modern (new or revamped) motels which are usually soul-less and boring (and more expensive).
Location is so handy to city centre and train station.

• Stayed December 2008
Bendigo, Victoria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

I remember walking into my room and being aghast at how tiny it was. It was like Fawlty Towers in reverse, if that makes any sense. Like other reviews I have read, I too was appalled by the tiny hand basin in the room. It was barely large enough to accommodate a guinea pig. I also disliked the mattress, but I did not find mine too firm. Indeed, mine was too saggy. I needed to put the spare pillow under my back to recieve adequate spinal support. Again, like other reviewers, I was constantly annoyed by noise early in the morning directly outside my door. It was bad enough that the staff let other guests talk, shout and laugh outside my door from 6:00 AM onwards, but then they come along and join in the frivolity. If you expect a cheap room with a fridge, TV, suitable sleeping equipment and bathroom, this is not the place to stay. The staff were pleasant but not the atmosphere within the place.

• Liked — The staff knew the layout of Brisbane CBD
  • Disliked — The mattress and no TV in room
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2008

How the Lonely Planet reviews this B & B 'awash with lace and frills' is laughable and seriously discredits the validity of their objective reviews! The place is in dire need of modernising and certainly needs a good clean, regardless of the budget price you pay. This is certainly a place you shower with your flip flops on and avoid touching most areas if you can. Probably most irritating was the noise not only from the road but also from outside in the hallway, so don't expect a peaceful nights sleep.

On the plus side it's very close to the CBD and close to the main railway station. The staff are very friendly and the breakfast is adequate.

Please note, I hardly ever have the time or the energy to write reviews on websites but I was deeply annoyed by the Lonely Planets review; supposedly the Holy Bible for travelers.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kuala Lumpur
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

The location is ok - walking distance to the city center. I wished they have more bathroom though because I waited for 0.5 hour for my turn. Good thing i got up early and wasn't in a hurry. Simple breakfast - toast with butter and jam, plus tea/coffee. One thing I dislike the most is the noise coming from outside the building at 5+ in the morning!! I remember waking up and wondered what's going on at 5am and I was too tired so I fell asleep again.

• Liked — Convenient location
  • Disliked — Too noisy!!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
york, england
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2006

This place is in a good location, where there are several guest houses, however the rooms are dirty, the whole place is run down. The rooms are noisy, especially the basement rooms, where you can hear when water pipes are being used in the upstairs rooms and it is even noisier when someone flushes a toilet, kept me awake most of the night, thought everyone was going to the loo! The curtains would not close together, tiles cracked in the bathroom, the whole place is just tired and needs a complete overhaul. We had 2 rooms for the 7th September 2006.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — diirt and noise
  • Tips/Secrets — Lots of guest houses/ rooms in the area.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Annie's Shandon Inn? Share your experiences!