“Affordable, simple and great location” 4 of 5 stars

Annie's Shandon Inn
405 Upper Edward St, Brisbane, Queensland 4000, Australia   |
Ranked #17 of 63 Brisbane B&B and Inns
Cairns, Australia
“Affordable, simple and great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Very happy with my stay at Annie's Shandon Inn. $75 per night for a single room inclusive of a basic breakfast (cereal, toast and juice) and free tea and coffee. Usual check-in time is from 12pm, I arrived earlier and since my room was free Tony was nice enough to let me check-in early at no extra charge. He also gave me a city map and helped me work out where I wanted to go. Single room was clean, tidy and decent sized with a sink, mirror, writing desk, desk lamp, bedside table, a small wardrobe and an air-conditioner/heater. Comfortable bed. You can catch the 'ConXn' shuttle bus from the airport which will drop you off directly across the road from Annie's, much cheaper than taking a taxi (it cost me $38 for a return trip for the shuttle bus) and it saves figuring out bus/train timetables etc. Check-out time is from 9/9:30am, I was out for the day and returned to wait for the shuttle bus in the evening and the staff were kind enough to let me wait inside and have tea/coffee, use bathroom facilities etc while I waited. I didn't find it too noisy, just mainly distant traffic noise through the night but it didn't interrupt my sleep. Location is great, a short walk (about 15 minutes) to the Roma Street station.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights in April and had a fantastic time. The rooms are quite old fashioned and basic but the very central location and lovely helpful staff more than made up for it. It was very good value for money. Very quiet at night and although the bathroom was shared it was always available when we wanted it and was kept very clean. If I visit Brisbane again one day I will definitely stay here.

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I picked out this place based on a few factors - these included my experience of B&Bs in the UK, the price, and the good reviews on Trip Advisor. Maybe my expectations were too high but I came away dissappointed and feeling as if we (my partner and I) had not got our value for money - $95 per night.

Our room in the basement was tiny, with scuffed and grimy wallpaper, doors and skirting. The en-suite bathroom was just a shower and loo, with nowhere to put our things except inside the shower cubicle. There was a tiny cloakroom-size sink on the opposite side of the bedroom with no towel rail (no hand-towels were supplied in any case) so you had to go to the loo, cross the room to wash your hands, then cross back to dry them.

There was a lot of noise at night from the street outside, from the rest of the hotel, and from an air-conditioning unit outside our room. I slept with earplugs in.

We had to check out by 9.30am, the earliest check-out time I've ever encountered. The free breakfast was only available until 8.30 even though it was the weekend.

So all in all, not impressed, won't be going back.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

Lovely place. Good value for money. Not all rooms the same I noticed ours was smaller than others which was the only complaint eg toilet and shower in one little room with mirror and sink on other side of bedroom next to bed! Only one little bedside table and no where for luggage or toiletries. Other than that it was great. Comfortable, friendly helpful staff. Breakfast included. Excellent location - we walked with our luggage to Airtrain. Nice overall.. Happy to stay at again.

• Stayed May 2012
New South Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Any check of the address on the map will show you how centrally located Annie's Shandon Inn is. Just a few minutes walk to Brisbane's cbd and an enjoyable stroll to inner city areas such as the Southbank area, West End, Eagle St Pier and Fortitude Valley. There are people about going to and from the central railway right into the late hours of the evening and I felt quite safe walking home to the Inn at all times of the day and night.
However more than anything what stands out about Annie's is its wonderful quirky nature. It has been an Inn for over 100 years and everything about it has character plus. If you are someone who appreciates an antidote to the the pre-fabricated blandness of modern motels and hotels then this is the right place for you! Sure there is traffic noise in the front rooms - but that is what travellers' ear plugs are for - and there have been times in far more expensive hotels when I've put them in to block out the sound of the air-conditioners!
The staff are absolutely lovely, the entire place is spotlessly clean, the beds are comfy, the wifi is only $5 for the duration of your entire stay, for a few $ you can use the washing machine and dryer and all sorts of things are happily provided on request - eg hairdryer, electrical outlet adaptor. Oh - and the ceilings of most of the bedrooms are pressed tin - now that is a sight from a bygone era!
I would happily stay there again and I do hope Annie's will keep on and on forever - it is the kind of place that is rapidly disappearing from our cities.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front facing on to Upper Edward Street do have traffic noise so if that is likely to an...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Good and quiet location, managers very helpful, clean rooms, good value, highly recommended.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Located in Brisbane's CBD, Annie's is about as convenient for seeing Brisbane as you can get. It's a short 5 minute walk to the central train station, and only about 10 minutes from the mall. Perfect! It is worth pointing out though that the walk from the train station and mall to Annie's is mostly up-hill so can be tiring on a hot day, but it was never really a problem for us, and wouldn't stop us recommending or staying at this place again.

The decor at Annie's is somewhat dated, but it actually lends the place real character and gives it a homely charm. We stayed in an en-suite double, which is located downstairs below the reception level, which again was convenient as it meant we could come and go via the rear entrance at any time.

The furnishing of the room was basic, but clean and comfortable. Our room was equipped with air conditioning and a roof fan, and the ensuite consisted of a shower, toilet and basin. On the same floor, directly outside of the room, was a shared television and kitchen area with tea and coffee facilities and a microwave. There was also a pull-out ironing board and iron in the cupboard of this shared area.

A continental breakfast was included in the stay, which featured a small selection of cereals, and the manager Tony would also offer toast. All served in the quaint and friendly feeling breakfast area on the reception floor.

All in all, I really enjoyed our stay at Annie's and would gladly return if I visit Brisbane again. The location was perfect, the staff were extremely friendly and always happy to help and chat, and the room was ideal for our stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Annie's Shandon Inn? Share your experiences!