“We'll definitely return!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Allender Apartments

Allender Apartments
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Brisbane
Allender Apartments
You added Allender Apartments to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Moreton Street | New Farm, Brisbane, Queensland 4005, Australia   |
Ranked #112 of 165 Hotels in Brisbane
Brisbane, Australia
“We'll definitely return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Allender Apartments together with 2 other couples on Saturday 11 Feb 2012.
We were in one of the beautiful older heritage style rooms. The room was really well-equiped with a big fridge, full kitchen, lounge area, tv and great quality kingsize bed. The bathroom was well appointed and the water pressure was just fine. Air con was perfect - quiet and powerful :) We also had a little closed in patio with 2 comfy little chairs and a table. Our first impression was WOW! All this in New Farm for under $200 a night?! The atmosphere of the room was beautiful, the old Queensland glass windows, the gardens, the room smelt lovely, not disinfected like most hotels.
We were able to check in at 12 instead of 2 with not a problem. Plenty of free onstreet parking and great bars, restaurants around the corner. When we came home at midnight (after a big wedding at The Powerhouse), the owners didn't mind us taking up a courtyard for a last drink and natter before we went to bed.
All in all, I would definitely recommend the Allender Apartments for friendly management, value for money, super comfy facilities, location and cleanliness. I would rather stay here than in a shoebox in a big hotel in the city. We'll be back :)

Room Tip: Definitely go for the Heritage Apartments. Our friends had the studio apartment and while it was ni...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Auckland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

We recently stayed at the Allender on 9 and 12 September 2010. We always stay at the Allender when we are in Brisbane which is normally two or three times a year. We used to find it a comfortable place in a good location. This time round though wasn’t as good as most past experiences. I have a particular problem though with the way I was charged for my stay.

When we arrived on 9 September we were told there was something funny about our booking but weren’t told what. Having now received my credit card statement, I think I understand what it was.

We booked two nights at AU$145 per night. So my credit card should have been debited either AU$145 twice, or AU$290 total.

Instead, my credit card was debited, presumably by mistake, for AU$1450. The difference was then refunded in two instalments two days later. I wasn't told about this.

The error has caused me significant additional expense. First, I have been charged three currency conversion fees by my credit card company on large amounts of AUD when my whole transaction was actually only AU$290.

Second, the refunded amounts have been converted at a later date at a much less favourable currency rate (compare 0.7736 to 0.8164).

Instead, once the overcharging and refunds are combined, I have been overcharged by more than AU$65.

I didn't really think I should be out of pocket as a result of the hotel's administrative error.

So I invited their constructive proposal to sort this out. I emailed them straight away on my return once I had received my credit card statement.

To my first email there was no reply. Weeks later I sent another, only to be told that the owners were away and would respond on their return. There was no reply. I tried again (3 months later) only to be told that the hotel had changed hands and no one could find the manager who had overcharged me so they just didn't know what to do.

Umm, how about either refund me the overpayment or credit me for a further stay?

So these guys just completely fail the customer service test. Completely and utterly, couldn't care less about their customers or their mistakes and have no intention of doing anything to correct them.

The hotel is also becoming quite run down. It used to be quirky, cute and boutique, but the changes of ownership are taking their toll on the place.

Extremely disappointing for what used to be a good option. As I said to the owners - no choice but to vote with my feet...

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

Picked this accommodation based on Trip Advisor reviews and the photos on Allender's website as they looked trendy, bright and modern, but unfortunately, it didn't live up to our expectations - the room was quite tired looking, with faded upholstery on the chairs, thin carpet, very small sink area in the bathroom and a kitchen which needed some more basic items. However, the room was clean, we experienced no noise in the evenings (we were in a studio room on the top floor at the front of the building) and it was a 5 minute walk to a supermarket, a few restaurants and cash point which was handy.

New Farm itself is actually more of a 15-20 minute walk to the Riverside walkway, a nice walk to the city centre, but it will then be a further 30 minute walk on top of that to get there. Alternatively, you can walk the 15-20 minutes to the City Cat Ferry which is then a further 5-10 minute trip to the centre - these run very regularly throughout the day. If you plan on using a lot of transport in one day, get a Saver Ticket which costs around $5.70 and you can use this on the City Cat, Ferry, Buses and trains within a certain area and is excellent value for money.

Also, on the Allender website, it says that it's 5 minutes to the exciting nightlife at Valley pubs and clubs - this would be a 5 minute taxi ride not walk, as Fortitude Valley, is more of a 20-25 minute walk, but there are some nice restaurants on route, before you get to the centre where there are plenty of bars, restaurants, etc.

With regards to our host, we have to say that she was very honest - we tried to pay for our accommodation on our mastercard, which was declined and we had to try another one, but she later contacted us to say that the payment had actually gone through and sorted out a credit for us. However, she wasn't the best with local information - when we asked, she told us that the nearest Tourist Information was at the airport - it's actually in the middle of Queen Street in the city centre!

On reflection, we would have preferred an apartment nearer the heart of the city centre or
the centre of Fortitude Valley, as when we booked trips, it was a bit of a trek first thing in the morning to get to pick up points.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

The big attraction for us is the free wireless internet in the room as I'm self employed and have to keep in touch. There's an outgoing mail SMTP - just ask at reception for it and you can set your computer based mail programme up. Some places want to fund their superannuation from 'net charges so we give them a wide berth. Also the very reasonable (for Brisbane) tariff of $114 per night is important. The only negative is on street parking (though immediately outside the premises) and in our case an upstairs apartment - though there are some at ground floor. Great to be able to borrow (free) a few DVD's too. Excellent advice from reception saw us using the City Cat ferry for the first time which is superb value at under $6 per adult all day long on the Cats, buses and (I think) some trains. We were upstairs near the main road but were not bothered by road noise (I'm a light sleeper) as the windows were double glazed. Good to see a proper split system air conditioner of the inverter type (not the on / off cheap type).

Room cleanliness was about 80% - just a little more effort in the nooks and crannies plus some paint touch ups and it would be great. We noted a trend here and other places this trip of only 1 face cloth being provided yet there were 2 towels. The separate kitchen was very well equipped. Decent sized fridge and freezer too which is another big plus as we cook our own meals. Microwave as well as a gas cook top. Very comfortable bed. Shower very good (we don't have a high pressure system at home and found the shower more than adequate).

Location is very handy to the city with the bus stops very close and the ferry terminal about 15-20 mins walk away. A good variety of shops are close by too.

Yes, we will stay again next time we're in Brisbane.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

I stayed in one of the Heritage Apartments, and it was the perfect place for me. Conveniently located about 5-10 minute's walk from the Valley, there's a bus stop just outside the building (which can take you through the Valley, the CBD, Southbank and the West End) plus it's just around the corner from a great little strip of shops and restaurants. The location was perfect for going out and having fun (and sightseeing, for what it's worth in Brisbane!) but also the room was spacious, well-equipped with kitchen, King size bed, my own enclosed verandah, everything I needed to stay in and have a relaxing night in.
The manager was more than willing to help out with advice on the local area, there is a selection of DVDs for free hire and free internet access, as well as a nice shared courtyard area. The only problem I really had with the room was the water pressure in the shower wasn't as great as it could be, but it still did the job and certainly wasn't enough to ruin the experience. I would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

i've debated whether to submit a review, as I don't want this place to be booked out every time I need to travel to Brisbane!! I'm a business commuter and for the last year I've travelled to Brisbane nearly every week. I stay at the Allender because it has character, it has fully equipped kitchens so I can cook my own meals, and it is in a great location near the river, parks, and shopping. The owners are very helpful and have put a lot of heart into the place. It's no chain hotel, and its sheets and towels don't smell like bleach (as you'd get at the bigger places) - and that's exactly what I like about it. It's comfortable, very well priced, and overall it helps me feel more 'normal' when I'm away from home each week. I completely disagree about the street noise referenced in one of the other reviews, and I find the neighborhood quiet and tranquil compared to many others in Brisbane.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

I stayed here for 5 days - Nathan was a really nice man and would help anyway he could. I was on my own for this trip so it was nice just to go down and have a chat. Even with issues not relating to the stay Nathan would help out - I was worried a little at going there as one of the reviews said it was noisy - I gets that just the people you get - you can never blame that on the owners -

the road is very quiet too - great for parking and right next to a bis stop ...
why am I writing so much? because nathan and his parents were really nice to me and I really appreciated it.

• Liked — friendliness of owners
  • Disliked — found some hair in the plug hole - everything else was clean!
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Allender Apartments? Share your experiences!