“Great location - average rooms - good service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges South Bank Brisbane

You added Rydges South Bank Brisbane to your Saves list
Rydges South Bank Brisbane
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9 Glenelg Street | South Bank, Brisbane, Queensland 4101, Australia   |
Ranked #39 of 161 Hotels in Brisbane
Canberra, Australia
“Great location - average rooms - good service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in September 2013 for work for 8 days. Given that I have lived in Brisbane, and have over the years heard excellent reports about Rydges Southbank, I was looking forward to staying at the hotel. Although the location was perfect and next door to the convention centre where we had our round of negotiations, rooms were rather a let down. They were clean and room service was good. However, corridors and the rooms looked warn out and tired. You could feel some of the springs in the mattress and linen was your standard el-cheapo hostel style. Pillows had clumps of stuffing and after a while, that became uncomfortable to lie on. I asked for new pillows but got similar pillows so I didn't bother using them. I got city views overlooking beautiful Southbank and the Ferris Wheel, and looking at Brisbane's stunning skyline. Overall, a nice and pleasant stay. Bacchus restaurant was a first class dining experience - loved the free wine tasting event. Pool side bar was a nice spot to relax after a rough day.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Scott W, Front Office Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear AR_Frequent_Flyer,

Thank you for the feedback in relation to your stay at Rydges South Bank Brisbane in September,

The South Bank location is a great spot to be situated with the convenient access to the Brisbane Convention Centre and the great offerings the Precinct has.

The Podium Level went under refurbishment last year and produced the stunning Bacchus Restaurant and five state of the art function spaces, with this completed and operational the attention will draw to the rooms.

I am pleased to read you have been able to enjoy the views from the front facing rooms in the hotel, as mentioned the Brisbane skyline is stunning.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming back to the hotel in the future.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Booked a queen room for one night through wot if. Was quite expensive as it was the weekend of the ashes. Upon check in requested a twin room which we were upgraded to at no extra charge. Twin room was very spacious, and although a little tired looking was clean, and the beds were the most comfortable I've ever slept in in a hotel. We chose the rydges because we were going to a show at the lyric theatre which was a 5 minute walk away. Southbank restaurants are in easy walking distance and close enough for a walk across the bridge into the mall. Access from brisbane airport was easy on airtrain to south brisbane station, only 5 mins away from hotel. Our stay was quick but staff seemed very pleasant and helpful. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Zoe L, Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear Cottone,

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

It is pleasing to read that the staff were able to accommodate your request for a twin room. It is also great to read the your enjoyed the Rydges Dream beds, they really are fantastic.

The hotel is located closely to an array of restaurants and cafes as well as a variety of arts and entrainment options. I’m glad you were able to take advantage of the convenient location to attend your show at the Lyric Theatre.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I hope of have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

We have never stayed at any Rydges property before. It was recommended by a travel agent. The location is across the street from the Convention Center and theaters. There is the lovely Arbor Walk and the area along the river.

The room size was quite large and comfortable. There was areas in the room that were a bit tired and could use some renewal.

The Bacchus Restaurant on the Podium level offered a wonderful dinner.

Dear tjn3.

Thank you for your feedback surrounding your stay at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

The hotel is centrally located in the South Precinct and offers an array of restaurants and cafes and is the arts and entrainment hub of Brisbane. The walk along the river is definitely a lovely way to spend your morning or afternoon, with a myriad of great views along the way.

As the refurbishment of our new Podium Level is complete, our attention will now draw to the rooms and their facilities.

Thank for your comments regarding the newly renovated Bacchus Restaurant, I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the chefs.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

City of Greater Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights with a colleague from Germany (first time for him). Our balcony rooms overlooked the Brisbane River with the city skyline as a backdrop. It was like looking out at a postcard with the Wheel of Brisbane just to the left of us.

Beds were comfortable and rooms were in good order.The advantage of this location is close proximity to umpteen restaurants, bars and great walking paths along the river and South Bank.

Would be a good location for families on holidays with all the swimming facilities of South Bank at your doorstep but also very useful if attending exhibitions as the hotel is connected to ithe Brisbane Exhibition Centre directly.

Room Tip: A high level room overlooking the river will cut down road noise (people noise) on weekend nights in...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear 61LouReview,

Thank you for your fantastic review surrounding your stay at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

It is very pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. The Deluxe View rooms are a great way to enjoy the breathtaking views the river and city have to offer.

The hotel is located in the centre of the South Bank Precinct making it the perfect base for business and leisure guests alike. There is an abundance of restaurants and cafes located within walking distance of the hotel, hopefully you were able to enjoy some of them during your 5 night stay.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

After earning enough points through Priority Guest rewards program I decided to book my free room at Rydges South Bank and I wasn't disappointed.

Having to use the valet parking service ($25) due to the location we were greeted with a warm welcome from the valet and our ticket was written out without any fuss.

At check in we were served by a very well spoken and helpful staff member and we were in our room within minutes.

The room was exceptionally clean and well set out. Bathroom had a shower over bath set up with very good water pressure. A very comfortable queen bed. Basic Foxtel channels. A nice surprise was having a wet bar in our room along with a microwave.

We ordered some chocolates to our room. We had 5 large chocolate coated strawberries and a nice assortment of chocolate pieces.

The location couldn't get any better as it is a very short walk to the parklands and the hotel is surrounded by a varied group of restaurants.

We used the express check out and had my receipt in the mail the next day.

We waited roughly around 5 minutes for our car and when we got in we had two chilled bottles of complementary water waiting for us.

This stay proved that the small touches really do keep the smile on your face during a stay and I will be back to stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott W, Front Office Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear KinkyPinkyAu,

Thank you for the excellent review surrounding your recent stay with us at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

It was pleasing to see you are not only joined to Priority Guest Rewards but that you have also accumulated enough points to receive your free stay.

The Concierge team offer a top level service and a fantastic welcome for our guests. It is rewarding to see this initial level of service has continued through to reception and onto the remainder of your stay.

The add-on chocolate dipped strawberries and chocolates are a great selection whether they are to finish a meal, with a glass of champagne or just a nice to have.

I couldn’t agree with you more that it is the small touches that can make or break a guest experience.

I do hope I can have the pleasure of personally welcoming you back to Rydges South Bank in the not too distant future.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I was staying at Rydges from 10th to 13th November the staff had all local knowledge that you could ever want always pleasant to talk to rooms always clean & fresh food at the restaurants great very attentive staff Brendan the concierge was more than helpful I was talking with him regarding my departure & he suggested using the Limo service instead of a taxi I have to say this was the best service I have ever had Rick who runs this service was so friendly got to meet him the morning of our departure (I wasn't leaving till later that day) my wife had been staying with her sister in Brisbane we had been at a Gala dinner the night before & she was returning back to her sisters we were waiting for a taxi & Rick turned around & said I'm not doing anything at present hop in & I'll run you home (about 20 mins away)Purely as a friendly gesture on his behalf tell me where else you would get that type customer service Later that day he was waiting for me drove back to my sister in-laws place picked up my wife & took us to the air port in plenty of time for our flight. If your staying at the Rydges you would be silly not to use this service can't recommend it highly enough

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear ross D,

Thank you for the excellent feedback in relation to your stay with us at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

It is pleasing to read you have enjoyed your room, the food available at the hotel and the vast offerings of the South Bank Precinct. I appreciated your kind words regarding the Concierge team, the level of service they provide is second to none.

The corporate car service offers our valued customers a continuation of the same high standard of service that we aim to provide. What is great to read is the additional assistance offered by Rick.

I look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Caloundra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Booked this through a "Mystery" Hotel deal and wasn't dissapointed!
On arrival we were welcomed "back" to the hotel as we had stayed there several years ago and my details were still on file.
The nice lady offered us an upgrade to a Suite which was great. The rooms were large with a great King size bed but a very small bathroom.
the lounge area consisted of a two seater couch, a small Dining table , sink small fridge and Microwave.
The rooms were spotless and all the staff were very friendly.
As others have stated, this establishment is very close to the Entertainment Centre and a short walk across the river and you are in the Queen street Mall.

Room Tip: Try asking for an upgrade to a Suite.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Zoe L, Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Xlcobra,

The hotel as you mentioned is in a central location with an array of restaurants and cafes close by, as well close to an endless list of entertainment options including the Queen Street Mall, Gallery of Modern Art and Art Gallery and Science Centre.

It is great to read that your prior visit to the hotel was recognised and that you were able to enjoy one of our King Suites during your stay.

Thank you for your comments regarding the staff, they are very much appreciated.

I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Duty Manager

Been to Rydges South Bank Brisbane? Share your experiences!