“Huge Disappointment” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges South Bank Brisbane

You added Rydges South Bank Brisbane to your Saves list
Rydges South Bank Brisbane
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9 Glenelg Street | South Bank, Brisbane, Queensland 4101, Australia   |
Ranked #40 of 161 Hotels in Brisbane
Sydney, Australia
“Huge Disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on the 5th of september. I booked the City Lights Package as a surprise for my wife (just under $400 for one night.) Including a bottle of Champagne, parking and buffet breakfast. Upon our arrival we were told we had to collect our complimentary bottle of champagne from the lobby bar. The lobby bar sent us back to reception who told us that was a mistake and they will send it to our room. We were told that our complimentary drink was at the bar. We went to the bar but there were reservation notices on all the vacant tables due to a conference so we had nowhere to sit. We have never had such a disappointing breakfast at any hotel anywhere in the world, the food choice was limited and poorly prepared, the cut fruit had a fermented taste and was not fresh at all. Upon check out we were told the complimentary drink at the bar was for only one person and were charged for second drink. I could not believe it!!
The only good thing of this hotel is the close proximity to some great restaurants. The next day we moved to the Versace Palazzo on the Gold Coast, what a delight for just a little more, service, food and rooms were simply in another class to the Ridges.

Room Tip: Dont expect anything special from this hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott W, Front Office Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Stephen J,

It was extremely disheartening to read your recent review in relation to your stay with us on the 5th September 2013.

The City Lights package is usually a very popular choice and as described has the buffet breakfast, valet parking and a bottle of champagne on arrival included. I am unsure as to why you would have been directed to the bar to collect your champagne as it is delivered to your room once checked in. Please accept my apology if there has been a miscommunication. The welcome drink would be available from one of the hotels bars and advised upon check in. It is unfortunately only the card holder who is entitled to a welcome drink.

It was personally disappointing that the hotel did not have the opportunity to discuss and address any of your concerns directly during your stay.

I would be happy to discuss your stay further should you wish to contact me at the hotel.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Fortitude Valley, Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I myself live in Brisbane, so can't say i've had much in the way of hotel stays in my own city to compare with. Booked the room for my family so we could spend some time together away from my own suburb.

I am a Rydges Priority Rewards club member, and would very much suggest you join if you intend to stay at any of their hotels as the rewards are more than just trivial perks!

Our stay was in a king suite ($265) - reward rate which included valet parking.

On arrival at the hotel, the valet parking was quick and easy and the valet attendants promptly fetched us a trolley and delivered our bags to our room no less than 10 minutes later. This I was impressed with for 3 PM on a Saturday afternoon. On check in we received a drink voucher for the hotel bar downstairs too.

On checking in to the room, it was clean and spacious. First thing I noticed was the bed was HUGE and comfortable. The room was a little rough around the edges and the furniture looking very tired. The view was beautiful though.

From there we went down to the pool. Now I will point out that the pool is best to stick the little ones in while you sit and have a drink, It is by no means a lap pool and given that it is in the middle of the upstairs bar (Baccus) which is always incredibly busy you will well and truly have an audience for your dip.

Southbank is a fantastic location for families visiting Brisbane as there is a lot of activities for children. Many great bars and food outlets around for all budgets.

On leaving, the car was returned (unharmed) in a timely and we even got bottled water for the trip home which is a nice touch!

Room Tip: My one suggestion would be to request a room on the city or pool facing side of the building as ours...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Scott W, Front Office Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Jordan4005,

Thank you for the recent feedback surrounding your stay with us here at the Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

I can fully appreciate the need to have a night away from home, even if it is fairly local. It is great to see you have chosen the Rydges as the destination.

Priority Guest Rewards is an excellent choice and a very good recommendation. There is the opportunity to receive benefits pre, during and after a stay.

The Concierge team deliver a well oiled service and it is pleasing to read despite the time of the day the service was not affected.

I hope if your in need another night away, I can have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Rydges.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Many thanks for a wonderful stay. I appreciated the excellent service and attention to detail. Even the water in the car. It was great to have the 20 percent off in the restaurant and the complimentary drink too. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Shel1973,

Thank you for the fantastic feedback in relation to your recent stay with us at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

It is pleasing to read the comments you have made regarding our Concierge team, I am very grateful and will pass them on directly to the team.

Priority Guest Rewards is a great way to receive discounts prior to and during your stay. It is always nice to have a complimentary drink when one arrives!

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next trip.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I booked a Superior Queen Room and was most disappointed when I went to my room on the First floor and it was directly above the bar smoking area. Definetely nothing superior about that. The furnishings were adequate but again in a Superior room I expected more than a shower over a bath. I was told I had free wifi when I checked in and the staff at reception gave me instructions how to acess. Shame it didn't work the way they said. I was required to go back to reception and be given wifi access codes that had a two hour expiration. Was easier to just use my phone.

The staff at reception and in the ground floor bar were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear bibbot,

Thank you for the recent feedback in relation to your stay with us here at the Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

It was disappointing to read you had not felt you have had a 4 star experience. Depending on the day and availability will determine the location of a room. We try and fulfil all requests but sometimes can be tricky with a full hotel. The Superior Rooms are located on the front of the building on the lower floors with the Deluxe Room located level 7 and above and come with the views of the Brisbane River and CBD.

The recent completion to the Podium Level renovations has welcomed 5 state of the art function spaces & Bacchus Restaurant, Pool & Bar. With this completed the focus will draw to the rooms in the hotel.

The internet connection is very simple with the guest surname as a username and room number as the password. Please accept my apologies if this service did not work and caused issues throughout your stay.

I hope if you choose to stay again I am able to welcome you back to the hotel.

Saint Charles, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed for a week at the Rydges Southbank while attending a conference. Very conveniently located next to the Brisbane Exhibition Center which made the conference a real breeze. Very helpful staff and clean rooms. Stayed in a king suite and enjoyed the extra space.

If coming from the airport, ask them to set you up with Rick, the private driver. Similar price to a taxi but a much better ride.

Room Tip: For a better view of the CBD, ask for a higher floor
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Zoe L, Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear William H,

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding your stay at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

I agree that we are in an excellent location here in South Bank, with a great selection of restaurants and only metres from the Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre.

The king suites are a great option for extended stays with the separate living and dining area providing extra space to work or relax.

Thank you for your comment regarding our corporate car service. We are fortunate to have this service available to our guests and it is always great to receive positive feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Kind Regards

Wingham, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Myself and two girlfriends stayed a night here and could not have picked a better place! Three comfortable DOUBLE beds (not singles) in a very spacious room with heaps of space between each bed. A short walk, basically just across the street, to the lovely Southbank area. Staff were friendly and helpful and facilities immaculate. Good value!

• Stayed August 2013
Zoe L, Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Janine W,

Thank you for your positive feedback surrounding your stay at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

The hotel's triple rooms are the perfect option for a weekend away with friends and it is great to read that you enjoyed the Rydges Dream Beds, they really are fantastic.

The South Bank Precinct offers visitors an array of activities and entertainment and we are fortunate enough to be located in its centre.

The staff pride themselves on delivering a high level of customer service and I appreciate your comments acknowledging this.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Kind regards,

Currumbin, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I've stayed at Rydges Hotel in Brisbane a few times now, it seems to be my go to hotel here. Great value for money, comfortable hotel, friendly & helpful staff and the best part of all is the LOCATION! Nearby you have the Queensland performing arts centre (QPAC) where you can see musical and stage performances, the Brilliant Queensland Museum, the amazing Art Gallery, and the new Gallery of Modern Art. It is also in the Southbank precinct which is choc full of brilliant restaurants, the free swimming lagoon, grassy BBQ areas, city cat docking stations (take a ride on one of these public transport boats to see Brisbane from the river, or go up the river to Lone Pine koala sanctuary). And it is a short and lovely stroll across one of the 3 footbridges to the CBD and the Botanical Gardens. There is also a Maritime museum at Southbank and a large IMAX cinema complex.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear worldwanderer75,

Thank you for your wonderful comments and ongoing loyalty to Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

We are very blessed to be located in the heart of the South Bank Precinct with all the art and entertainment you could imagine at our doorstep. It sounds you like you have used your time with us to your full advantage and visited many of the ‘must dos’ in the area.

Thank you for your comments regarding the hotel staff, they are much appreciated.

I hope I personally have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Duty Manager

Been to Rydges South Bank Brisbane? Share your experiences!