“Location its main plus point” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges South Bank Brisbane

You added Rydges South Bank Brisbane to your Saves list
Rydges South Bank Brisbane
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9 Glenelg Street | South Bank, Brisbane, Queensland 4101, Australia   |
Ranked #39 of 161 Hotels in Brisbane
Melbourne, Australia
“Location its main plus point”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

If location is what you're after, then this is the place for you. It's in the heart of South Bank and next to the convention centre if you're in town for conferences. It's also a nice walk to Queen Street Mall too, about 15 minutes give and take.
Otherwise, the hotel was a letdown. Ordered room service one night for dinner. Had the Caesar salad and fish and chips. Caesar salad for A$20 was the most pathetic I ever had. Measly portion and very amateurish in the way it was done. Fish and chips, A$28, was expensive. Was expecting the portion to be bigger and chips to be served but had fries instead. Not sure if it was a stand-in chef doing the food on that night. I asked for a bread basket but they say bread basket isn't available. If you're okay with walking, there's better cafe and restaurant options in West End which is behind the hotel. Was about 10-15 minutes walk.
Not sure if the air-con was supposed to work this way, churning out warm air at night even though I had set it to the coolest level.
The bathroom didn't provide glasses for brushing and rinsing which I found to be odd since there is a little notice on the sink to say the hotel supports water conservation.

Room Tip: Was given a room on the third level facing the Ferris wheel. We asked for a view of the river but wa...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Scott W, Senior Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear bernicehan,

Thank you for your review of the Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

The South Bank Precinct is a wonderful part of Brisbane with so many restaurants, activities and entertainment all within walking distance.

It is a shame that there was not one thing that stood out for you at the hotel. I apologise you were disappointed with your room service meal as it falls out of line with our usual feedback.

The air-conditioning in the rooms work in the same fashion as a ducted system at a home, so if it was blowing warm air on the coolest setting, then I would say there was an issue with it. I appreciate the feedback, as we will be able to rectify the problem.

Again disappointing there was not a stand out within the hotel for you but thank you for your time and feedback.

Senior Duty Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights while attending a conference at the Brisbane Convention Centre (right next to the hotel). Although this hotel was more expensive than other recommended by the organisers we chose the comfort of being close to the conference and assumed that we would receive value for money i.e. great service.

On arrival at 1pm we requested an express dry cleaning of my husband's suits. We were assured these will be ready by 6.30pm. We were due for an important dinner at 7pm. At 6.40pm after not getting the laundry and zero communication with the hotel we started panicking. Guest services told us that they'll follow up and get back to us within a couple of minutes. Not only we didnt hear back, they wouldn't answer our calls anymore, neither did reception. Eventually I decided to contact the concierge and got told that 'well, maybe the guest services are busy and that's why they are not answering your call'!! By 7pm both my husband and I were so anxious and frustrated as no one seemed to want to give un an answer.

I called the manager on duty. She told us she was following up the matter with the dry-cleaning company which is not part of the hotel. She called us back saying that the dry cleaners said the suit where at the hotel but no one at the hotel knew where they were. She promised she would have the suits back before tomorrow morning. She said we wont be charged for the dry cleaning.

We went to dinner an hour late while my husband wore jeans and a shirt to a professional corporate dinner. This was extremely uncomfortable. Especially since we had spent $8K to attend this 3 day conference and this was the moment of first impression for us.

Once returned to the room, the suits where hanging in the wardrobe which was a great relief to us.

So the suits arrived in the end, we went through so much stress and the way this hotel made it up to us was by not charging us for the dry cleaning!! I have worked in the service industry for years and if I had put someone through this much grief I would be doing WAY more to rectify the situation or at least I wouldnt charge them the extra $20 per night upgrade fee.

In my opinion the manager did a good job finding the suit but the rest of her team need some serious training. I have never stayed in a hotel were guest services DO NOT answer my call because they have lost my property!!!

Dear mdnz,

Thank you for your recent review of Rydges South Bank Brisbane,

It is concerning to read the issue in your review in relation to the items you had sent out for dry cleaning. I find it disappointing the dry cleaning company had not returned the items to the hotel in the times noted on the express form please accept my apology on behalf of them. It does appear though matters within our control, being communication between certain staff and you has been poor and certainly not the level of service we wish to offer, however I am pleased our Duty Manager on the evening has been able to resolve the issue of the missing items.

I understand you have had a bad experience but would hope that there were some other factors of your stay that you enjoyed and that those factors would give me the opportunity of welcoming you back.

Mooloolaba, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

My mother and our family (husband and I, 1yo and 5 yo) stayed in triple Queen Bed Room for one night whilst we attended wedding at Southbank. We were pleasantly surprised with a large room, three Queen Beds, sink and microwave, perfect for family short stays. Concierge were very efficient and welcoming with valet service (although costs $35 so see if you can get deal with Parking thrown in). We were on first floor which was lovely during the day but with the Bacchus Bar downstairs we felt like we were sleeping on a night club at night, was a little difficult getting kids off to sleep. Seems a little strange to fit out a family room fit above the Bar? All totalled good value for city location and proximity to all that Southbank has to offer. Will definitely stay again when need city accommodation but perhaps request another floor/location.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
JoelGordon_SouthBank, Rooms Division Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear V_A_10,

Thank you for your excellent review in relation to your stay here at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

My sincerest apologies in relation to the noise coming from our "Podium" level. A lot of families tend to love the King Suites here at the hotel which are a bit higher and have a seperate living/dining area.

Please get in contact with me when you are next looking to stay, and I would be happy to assist you with the best possible option for you and your family.

Maryborough, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Next to convention centre and across the street to restaurants and parkland.
Easy to find. Rooms were comfortable and tidy. We booked on line and parking was only $20 a night. Cost of room was reasonable. Staff always friendly and helpful.
Would stay again when required to stay on south side of city.
Didn't have breakfast at Rydges as checkout is at 11am so had plenty of time to have breakfast overlooking the parklands and river before checking out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear sweetkerrie,

Thank you for your lovely review surrounding your stay with us here at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

The hotel is in perfect location, only metres to the Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre and an abundance of excellent restaurants.

Such a shame you were unable to enjoy the full buffet breakfast at "Bacchus", however I am sure you will be able to have the opportunity next time!

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Location: From the hotel it is just a 2min walk to the Southbank Parklands (restaurants, cafes, CityBeach, playgrounds, gardens, barbecue/picnic areas, river, ferry wharf)
Room: Clean, comfortable and with a beautiful views over river & city.
Check Out time is 11am!
Service with a smile :-) Very helpful and always friendly.

Dear SarahS81,

I appreciate how much you loved the cleanliness of the room and the view looking out over the Brisbane River and City.

I am glad to read that the staff had such a positive impact on your stay, as we all hold a genuine passion for ensuring a high level of satisfaction.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

It was all about location for us. We needed to be close to the Convention Centre and you couldn't get any closer than Rydges! We arrived and the Valet guy parked our car ($35 per night!) and we then checked in with I think Toby, who was informative and really very good at his job. We didn't have to wait either which is always a bonus. We went straight to our room - which was a basic 'best value' room - we were given the choice of upgrading to a river view for $20, but we declined as we were only here for the night and most of that would be spent at the Convention Center anyway.
The room was clean, tidy and pleasant, with a small balcony. It also had a kitchenette with sink and microwave and a small fridge. I must admit, I'm not really one for hotel rooms with kitchenettes - I would book an apartment style place if that's what I required. The fridge was well stocked with reasonably priced items - apart from the snacks of course - which were extortionate - but no dearer than most. The only thing we purchased from the mini bar was a bottle of Cabernet Shiraz which @$18 sounded extremely reasonable. It was oxidised. I called reception and they replaced it with a $61 Cabernet Shiraz! I made a note to check the bill in the morning - but we were only charged $18! Yay us! Mind you, it tasted like an $18 wine, but never mind! We ordered room service when we returned from the concert - a cheese platter, which was excellent.
The bathroom left a LOT to be desired. It is in serious need of an update. Not only was the bathroom tiny, but the shower was not separate - the shower head was attached at about 5 foot, facing the wall, in the corner, so you had to hold it over yourself unless you are a contortionist - but that meant you had no free hand to wash your hair!!! Nightmare!! The floor was soaked, so if you then wanted to use the sink and toilet, you got wet feet!! The shower curtain was touching the toilet - yuk!!! The sink was about 3 foot off the ground, so you had to bend double to clean your teeth!! Great bathroom for midgets! All the toiletries were lovely - not really suited to the bathroom! The cost was $189, which wasn't really good value at all. The bed was okay.
We had a snack and a few drinks in the CBD cafe before the concert. Food was good,and pretty reasonable for the huge portions, the pizza was the highlight. The service prompt. We would have liked to eat in the main restaurant Bacchus, but as were were only there for the concert we really only required a quick snack. We did however have a pre-concert drink in the bar area of Bacchus and on our return had one before retiring to our room. We would have had another, but there were a bunch of inebriated young people, one of which threw a class of water and ice behind him, not realising that my husband was on the receiving end - not impressed!! The bar staff were clueless and tried charging about $5 more for my husbands port than listed on the drinks menu - the staff retorted when questioned - 'but that's what the till says' For the cost of the drinks, the ambiance and service was pretty ordinary.
We decided on an al'acarte breakfast from the CBD cafe in the morning. - hoping for the same reasonable food and service. They had 2 waiting staff on - one of which was making the coffees. We could see about 2 chefs in the kitchen that were fully under the pump - and as the cafe has very few seats, it was pouring with rain and a Saturday morning, we suspected the worst! We were right! We ordered at the bar and it took 45 minutes for our breakfast to arrive. We saw it up on the pass for at least 5 minutes and had to ask the waitress to get it! It was stone cold. They redid it and it was much hotter, but not really worth the money. Coffees were great. Juice was $8!! It was from a bottle!!! The lovely waitresses were so rushed off their feet it was rediculous. Kitchen staff likewise. management - get some more staff!!! These guys were great, but no doubt, they'll be gone soon, if they don't get any help!!! We were refunded our breakfast, which although we hadn't asked for this to happen, was a welcome gesture.
We were back in the room and packing up at around 9am, so not ready for the room to be serviced - but they still knocked on the door to try and do so! Good job we weren't having a lie in! I had hoped that this hotel would have been somewhere my husband I would consider for a long weekend in the future, but now I'm not so sure I would return, based on the experiences we encountered. Location is about all it's got going for it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LibbeMac,

Thank you for your comprehensive review of Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

It is unfortunate to read that the only standout for you was the location and your experience upon check-in.

My apologies that you were met with incidents throughout the Food & Beverage outlets, this is uncharacteristic for the hotel, but I will ensure to share your comments to help eleviate any problematic issues.

I do hope I have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Maryborough, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Excellent place to stay! So close to the Brisbane Entertainment and Convention Centre! Lots of nice places to eat surrounding the area. The CBD provided a lovely meal and were very friendly.Rooms were clean and inviting. Even got a newspaper delivered to our door! The only thing I didn't appreciate was nobody had informed us of the $35 fee for valet parking until checking out.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony that overlooks the big wheel! Looks awesome at night time!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Scott W, Senior Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear carmeltoowoomba,

Thank you for the wonderful comments in relation to your stay with us here at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

It is great to see you have enjoyed our location with the close proximity to the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre and the abundance of activities, entertainment and restaurants South Bank has to offer. I really appreciate your comments regarding our rooms and your meal in CBD.

Please accept my apologies you were not personally informed about the Valet Parking charges, information is available on our website and displayed on signage on the hotel driveway.

I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel on your next trip to Brisbane.

Senior Duty Manager

Been to Rydges South Bank Brisbane? Share your experiences!