“Great location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges South Bank Brisbane

Save Saved
You added Rydges South Bank Brisbane to your Saves list
Rydges South Bank Brisbane
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9 Glenelg Street | South Bank, Brisbane, Queensland 4101, Australia   |
Ranked #28 of 165 hotels in Brisbane
Ipswich, Australia
“Great location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed at the Rydges for just one night in February to attend an event at the Convention Centre. Service was good, there were no issues with me dropping off my car early in the morning to the valet despite not checking in until that afternoon. The room itself was nice enough, the bathroom is starting to look a little tired and the complimentary toiletries did not appear to be new - i.e. shampoo half empty. We ordered room service late at night and the service was prompt and the food was lovely. Overall we had a great stay at Rydges and if I ever need to stay in the area again I wouldn't hesitate at booking at there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Scott W, Senior Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Shirls84,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

The hotel is conveniently located in South Bank with many attractions, restaurants and entertainment a short walk away. The direct walkway across to the Brisbane Convention Centre is a great convenience for our guests who are attending conferences or shows.

Please accept my apologies regarding the toiletries, they are replaced after each guest but perhaps this was missed on inspecting the room.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

901 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Rockhampton, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

We spent two nights in this hotel to see a show at QPAC. The location was great, the service excellent and the room pretty good. Some parts of the room were a little worn, but over all we had no issues.

Stayed February 2013
Scott W, Senior Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Ian606,

Thank you for the lovely comments in relation to your stay and our staff.

We are located in a fantastic position in South Bank and ideally located for QPAC. Customer Service and the Guest Experience is something I have a true passion for, so it is very pleasing to read you have enjoyed you time and received excellent service.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I spend about 200 days a year on the road and travel all over the Asia Pacific region. The Rydges Southbank is probably the worst hotel by far in the price range.
I have stayed there at least 4 times and every time it gets from bad to worse. On this last trip there were workmen working in the room opposite at 6.30 am. On one day my room was not serviced and the newspaper was only delivered to my room on 2 of the 6 nights I stayed there.
Staff were clueless and not very helpful instead of being helpful and problem solving and the toiletries in the bathroom were inconsistent every day. For example, some days I would have new shampoo and on some days I wouldn't, Same for towels and other such amenities.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear RayonTime,

It was very disappointing to read you review of the hotel.

It appears the inconsistencies experienced throughout your stay had led to your disappointment. I am unsure of the exact dates of your stay but any contractor’s onsite have noise restriction enforced and are not permitted to use power tools before 8am. If contractors are on guest floors prior to this then noise is to be kept to a minimum. Please accept my apologies if this restriction had been broken.

The staff at Rydges South Bank Brisbane are widely known for their exceptional Customer Service so it is very disheartening to read your comments in relation to them.

I do appreciate the feedback as we are only able to improve with when it is received and with this in mind I will certainly follow up the inconsistencies with the relevant departments.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Was in Brisbane for work and Rydges South Bank is a great location, however the rooms do in my opinion need renovating, as they are clean and presentable... just tired looking. The ground floor and Podium levels have been renovated, so one would assume the rest of the hotel is scheduled for a make over. Staff were friendly and helpful and the food in the downstairs bar good. Hotel is in a great location to the Brisbane convention centre with access via the podium level. There are lots of resturants in Stanley and Grey streets that should suit many peoples tastes and needs. Once fully renovated I believe this hotel would be hard to beat.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear hunterkiwi,

Thank you for the recent review in relation to your stay with us here at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

South Bank is one of the top spots in Brisbane. The hotel is centrally located providing an abundance of restaurants, activities and entertainment only a short walk away.

The recent renovation of our Podium Level has been a great success and now fully open our attention will draw to the rooms.

Thank you again for the kind words and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed over last weekend for just a mini weekend away. It's in a great location in Brisbane - metres from southbank and great restaurants and shops and we walked over the bridge to the city on Friday night - about 15 minutes!! The room was wonderful - clean and tidy and service was wonderful! There is really only one thing that I'm not 100% comfortable with and that is the pool - I like to swim in the evenings but there is no way I'm swimming in a pool that's surrounded by people eating and drinking at the bar and having to get in and out with all those people around. I don't think the pool is very family friendly and I know I won't be bringing my 6 yr old down for a swim in that pool after say we have dinner we will head over to southbank and swim there, which is what my partner and I did. I think the pool is a great talking point for the bar but not swimming in for a family. I really enjoyed staying at rydges and will do so again :)

• Stayed February 2013
JoelGordon_SouthBank, Rooms Division Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Gabba79,

Thank you for your recent comments in relation to your stay with us here at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

I loved reading your comments that you felt the hotel exceeded your expectations regarding the cleanliness and overall service throughout your stay.

My apologies that you felt the pool was lacking in design and comfort. Taking this into consideration, the pool has been designed to encorporate the bar setting to ensure parents can enjoy the atmosphere of the bar, a light meal and/or refreshment whilst still supervising their children.

I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Joel Gordon
Rooms Division Manager
Tweed Heads
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed last weekend at Rydges Southbank Brisbane and we found the hotel great - best location for the Cliff Richard show that we were booked in to see - great for the markets - walking to Southbank - restaurants etc etc - staff were great and very pleasant

Room Tip: Our room was on the western side which was nice but if I were to book in the future I would try the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott W, Senior Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Barbara R,

Thank you for the review from your recent stay with us at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

South Bank is a wonderful location in Brisbane with everything at our doorstep, there is truly something for everyone. The restaurant scene in South Bank is forever growing, Bacchus Restaurant, Pool and Bar is the hotel’s contribution and it is certainly raising the bar for the area.

The hotel has direct walkway to the Brisbane Convention Centre which is located on our Podium Level providing a convenient access for our guests.

Thank you again and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you into the hotel in the near future.

Canada, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stayed for a week, immediately following Australia Day. My room was clean, quiet and comfortable. Everything worked, and staff were unfailingly cheerful and helpful. I got a muffin or donut each morning from the CBD cafe and brewed my own tea upstairs. I also used the free wifi in the lobby, after obtaining a code from the front desk.

The hotel's pool really isn't for swimming, it's too small. So I can see why they use it as a backdrop for the lounge and restaurant. Families with kids will want to swim in the riverfront lagoon, instead of the hotel.

The toiletries were of exceptional quality.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Human44,

I would like to thank you for the fantastic feedback in relation to your stay with us here at Rydges South Bank Brisbane,

It is very pleasing to read you have enjoyed your stay and that our staff have been of assistance.

CBD cafe provided excellent snacks on the go for the morning, both the muffins and donuts are a popular choice. Complimentary WiFi access throughout the public areas in the hotel has been a welcomed addition and excellent service for our guests.

I hope I have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Senior Duty Manager

Been to Rydges South Bank Brisbane? Share your experiences!