“Bacon Blunder” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Brisbane
“Bacon Blunder”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

A couple of friends and I slid into Mud on a Sunday morning to satisfy our hungover hunger.

We chose to sit inside due to our fragile state and were pleased with the sanctuary the dark decor provided.

The staff were polite and the coffee was lovely but we were disappointed a little with what seemed to be unnecessary delays to our service. The restaurant was not bursting by the seams by any means and everything seemed to take just that little bit too long.

When our meals made it to the table we were impressed by what was placed in front of us. However, all of us agreed pretty promptly after we had started to demolish our breakfast that the Bacon was not up to scratch.

Now this is not the first time I have come across this issue in recent times. There seems to be a worrying trend with Chefs not giving Bacon long enough in the pan.

I like my Bacon with a little crunch and after discussions with others it would appear I'm not alone. 'Warmed' Bacon simply doesn't cut the mustard.

If we weren't in the state we were I am sure the boys I was with would have spoke up. But instead we each left a pile of Bacon on our otherwise empty plates in a silent protest.

I love Bacon.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

Queensland
“much more than desserts on offer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Oxford street Bulimba has quite a variety of restaurants on offer and Mud doesn't seem to be one of the most attractive to dine in. The fit out is just one big space with dark graffitti scrawled walls...but that is not what you are here for. Tapas is very popular and I know why.....it is just delicious. I have been here a couple of times and have not been disappointed. Recently we tried the chefs tating plate of 6 varieties for $30pp, all were great, particularly the mushrooms in a balsamic dressing- I would never have picked it out myself but that is the beauty of trying a tasting plate....finding out new dishes. We went on a quiet monday night but it had a fair few patrons.Would definately go again.

• Visited September 2012
“Good Tapas & Dessert”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Eaten here fairly regularly, mostly during the week or not when it’s at it’s busiest on weekends. Food is always good; Breakfast, Tapas and dessert, but the service can be a little hit and miss

Visited August 2012
“Brunch with the family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

It was a brunch outing with the family. An innovative ordering system with the little flags - the grandkids were entranced. We had a varied selection of foods from the menu including savory and sweet - all were most acceptable. Not too crowded at "brunch" time, however I was told that it gets very busy in the evenings. All in all an enjoyable dining experience.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brisbane, Australia
“Delicious dessert but a bit on the pricey side”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We had dinner at La Quinta just across the road, our favourite Mexican that we love to return to, and decided to check out the dessert menu at Mud upon hearing good reviews from friends. Funny that both La Quinta and Mud have the same flag ordering system, when you are ready you put the flag up on the table as a sign for the waiters to come and take your order.

I ordered the pistachio waffle with praline, pistachio and nougat ice cream, pecan nut and Baileys cream, and caramel and hazelnut sauce. Absolutely delicious and even though I already had a big dinner at La Quinta, I polished off the entire plate (and waddled my way to the car afterwards). My husband went for the Death by Chocolate and loved it. Prices are on the high side though with an average of $16 per dessert but portions are reasonable, so the next time we go we will probably be sharing a plate.

• Visited August 2012