“Stunning Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riverside Hotel South Bank

You added Riverside Hotel South Bank to your Saves list
Riverside Hotel South Bank
4.0 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   20 Montague St, Brisbane, Queensland 4101, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
10% OFF your stay
Ranked #22 of 110 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Cairns, Australia
“Stunning Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed at the Riverside Hotel where I got to admit, I was very impressed. When I booked online, I didn't have great expectations, but within the first 30 minutes at the hotel, I was ashtonished. The Place is beatiful with very modern decor. Staff very helpful, polite and smiling at all times. Congrats to the the tall guy on a suit at the reception really showed me the real meaning of the word hospitality. The rooms are clean, cozy with a very comfy bed. The location is great. Walking distance to the Convention Centre, restaurants and, if you are into arts, The MOMA is just around the corner.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
LuizPrebianca, Manager at Riverside Hotel South Bank, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share such a lovely review about Riverside Hotel.

I can understand your expectations, as our rates tend to be really low according to our star rating and location.

Nevertheless, as you’ve said, we always do our best to ensure great service is delivered to you, that our hotel is comfortable and clean. Our new refurbishment of the outside of the property has just finished, proving that.

Thank you for the personal note towards me, it is always great to see a guest remembers you and appreciates the service they have received

Your review is stimulating and fresh, and I sincerely thank you for that.

Please be sure to contact me directly whenever planning your next trip to Brisbane, so that I may look after your booking personally.

luiz@riversidehotel.com.au

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Umuarama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay in Riverside. The facilities and the staff are just great, and there are many fun or cultural things to do by the area. I strongly recommend to anyone who wants a good and not so expensive place to stay, after all it's all worthy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely feedback!

It is great to be made aware of guests who have extensively en joyed their stay, as well as that our staff has provided you with great service.

By being in the centre of the Cultural Centre of Brisbane, Riverside Hotel indeed offers a great locality for all those cultural sites seekers.

Thank you very much for your recommendation, and please be sure to contact myself directly, so that I may organize your next booking personally.

Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed at the Riverside Hotel South Bank for two nights in November 2012. It is the perfect location for the business traveller who is not seeking luxury but would like a clean, comfortable room for a few nights in a prime location, 2min walk to South Bank and the Brisbane Cultural Precinct (MOMA, State Library, QPAC, cafes).

The hotel is split with reception and restaurant occupying one building and you have to go outside and enter another building to access rooms. The corridor to the elevator is long and very dorm like, dark, grubby looking. It definitely detracted from the room which was a nice surprise - large, clean, comfortable bed & pillows, and nicely decorated. The room had air conditioning and a door that could be opened onto a balcony for fresh air. You would not wish to sit on the balcony unless you would like to be visible to the hotel occupants directly opposite. I could see into their rooms, including the gym where a guy worked on his bicep for hours on end.

Although functional, the bathroom needed a face lift. The first thing to go would be the old rusty dispensers of soap & shampoo mounted on the wall and in the shower recess. These looked uninviting and were reminiscent of public toilets hence giving a feeling that you were sharing your amenities.

I had breakfast in the restaurant one morning but felt it over-priced and nothing special. The Cafe at the rear of MOMA looking out over the Brisbane River, 2 min walk, was a much better option.

I would definitely stay here again if on business or value for money accommodation but if traveling with family on a holiday I would probably want to stay somewhere more luxurious.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your honest feedback about your recent stay with us.

I think you have summed it up in your first paragraph: we are set up for someone who is budget conscious, not seeking luxury but good service, clean and comfortable rooms at a great location in Brisbane. Thank you for that.

We have already quoted a new lighting system for the corridors, and are now waiting for a reply from the suppliers. Please accept my sincere apologies for this inconvenience.

Thank you for the positive comments about the room, and please understand that the building next door is not another hotel, but merely a normal apartment building. Again, please accept my apologies you had to watch a “guy” working on his biceps for hours on end.

We also agree the bathrooms will require a facelift, and have that on our plans, although not for too soon, but hopefully sooner than later. I did not understand what you meant when you said the dispensers are “rusty”, as they are all made out of plastic in order to avoid rust. The main reason why some hotels are now going with dispensers is to suit a more “green environmental friendly” status, as soap bars are usually just thrown out half used, as well as shampoo and conditioner bottles. All dispensers are sanitized after each guest departs the room.

Our Restaurant Manager was concerned with your remarks about breakfast, and said he would love to hear more from you so that he can work on it and provide you a better service next time.

If you are ever in Brisbane again, please make sure to contact me directly, so that I may look after your accommodation booking myself. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back!

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Great location - close to Southbank, city, Suncorp stadium.
Check-in was a breeze. Room was overlooking the main arterial road leading onto William Jolly bridge, so there was a lot of traffic noise.
Rooms generally clean. Bathroom is a bit worn down. Standard in-room amenities.

Perfectly positioned for a overnight inner city stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience with us at the Riverside Hotel.

We are happy to hear you have found our location was suitable, and that check-in was nice and easy.

One of the main downsides of staying so close to downtown (CBD) is that there will be traffic noise if your window is opened, but when you close the balcony doors, which are extremely thick, noise should no longer be an issue.

I also would like to thank you for your remark on the cleanliness of the room. we have plans for the near future to upgrade our bathrooms, and are hoping it will be done sometime soon.

Please be sure to get in touch with myself directly on your next visit to Brisbane, so that I may look after your booking myself.

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I enjoyed very much staying at Riverside Hotel South Bank. All members of Staff are extremely helpful and friendly and the facilities are really good.
Great value for money. I am definitely coming back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
LuizPrebianca, Manager at Riverside Hotel South Bank, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for such lovely comments.

I must say you have made my day!

Your review has been displayed to all our staff members, and everyone was quite joyful to read your remarks about our customer service and facilities.

We are definitely looking forward to welcoming you back! Please ensure to contact myself directly so that I may look after your accommodation personally.

Once again, thank you so very much!

Newcastle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I got what I wanted - a decent night's sleep. That was until the alarm went off, as it had not been turned off after the previous residents. I would expect that to be part of the housekeeping duties. There was surprisingly little road noise, despite looking out onto a multi lane roadway.

The place is convenient to South Brisbane, with the Gallery of Modern Art, the Library, the theatre and the convention centre in close proximity. Slightly further on is a strip of great restaurants and a little man-made beach. There is a great cycle and pedestrian path, and it is easy to use the rental bikes, from the automated stations that seem to be everywhere around the CBD. Cheap too. Just remember to write down your number from the website - I assumed it would be emailed to me, but no. So I had difficulty getting another bike after I had docked mine for a short break.

Back to the hotel. The iron was dirty, which really annoys me, when I leave a mark on my shirt after trying to iron it. The toilet did not flush properly. The staff seemed pre-occupied.

But yes, I would go back there, I don't have major gripes, just minor ones.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main building, on the 4th or 5th floor would have better views, and are a little hi...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
LuizPrebianca, Manager at Riverside Hotel South Bank, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your frank feedback.

First and foremost, we were all very happy to see the title of your review, that you will be happy to return! That is indeed a great start. I was personally glad to see that you were not disturbed by noise, as that is a very personal thing and some guests can hear it, while other cannot.

I was, however, extremely troubled after reading your remarks about the alarm and the iron in the room. That is definitely not what one would expect from a 4 star Hotel, and I sincerely apologize for this, and once again thank you for your understanding. I would, in your position, be furious to be awaken in the middle of the night.

As for that, we have had a board meeting and our Executive Housekeeper has deeply apologized and guaranteed this was a singular incident that will no longer happen.

Was the mark on your shirt removed? I would be more than happy to replace it for you, or get it cleaned in house.

Once again, I would like to genuinely thank you for your constructive feedback, and can assure you it will not happen again. Please contact myself directly whenever coming back to Brisbane, so that I may organize your booking myself. As for that, I might be able to accommodate your requests easier.

Bundaberg, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

This is the best hotel to stay in when coming to Brisbane... You are so close to Southbank, shopping in the city and nights out at the theatres. We stay here every time when travel to Brisbane to watch ‘Brisbane Roar’ play their home games at Suncorp Stadium. The staff are just so helpful and such lovely people, you couldn’t ask for better service. I wouldn’t stay anywhere else...
Thank you Luiz and your wonderful staff :-)

Room Tip: Email ahead and find out about rooms before you travel.The apartments are such a good size with wash...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely feedback and your continuous patronage and support to Riverside Hotel.

It has been about one year since the first time you have been with us, and it is, as always, a great pleasure to welcome you back here at Riverside.

On behalf of our staff, I would like to outline how much we appreciate having you with us, and how easier it makes for us to suit your needs now that you book directly with us as well. Thank you for your remarks about the staff and for mentioning my name.

I have e-mailed you directly thanking you for the review as well.

I sincerely hope that future guests take your advice and start e-mailing and/or calling us more for their bookings, as mistakes can be avoided and requests accommodated easier.

Once again, thank you very much for everything. We are looking forward to your next stay with us!!!

luiz@riversidehotel.com.au

Been to Riverside Hotel South Bank? Share your experiences!