“Brisbane Overnight Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stamford Plaza Brisbane

You added Stamford Plaza Brisbane to your Saves list
Stamford Plaza Brisbane
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr Edward & Margaret Sts, Brisbane, Queensland 4000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$1 Breakfast Special
Ranked #18 of 161 Hotels in Brisbane
“Brisbane Overnight Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed at Stamford Plaza to attend a farewell function Wednesday evening. Upon on our arrival we were greeted promptly receiving a warm reception from the Valet and Concierge; checking in was seamless and the staff most courteous. Our 6th floor room was well appointed with nice views of the river and the Kangaroo Point cliffs which are colourfully lit at night. The function itself was well handled by attentive wait staff, with the food and beverage package within reason of what we paid for. A number of food items however had gone completely cold due to the longevity of speeches, but keeping a Bain Marie warm is a fairly simple thing to do, and should not happen at an establishment well versed in catering for functions. The buffet breakfast was reasonable value at $30, but nothing special. What was below par however was finding the plates for the hot side of the buffet stone cold, I have generally found in establishments such as this, plates are in a warming stack. Less than quaint was finding the scrambled eggs portioned into ramekins of about 1/3 cup capacity, as well as the baked beans; no doubt a measure to curb the excesses of guests who view buffets as a calorific free for all rather than an opportunity to savour the broad array of food on offer. On our rare sojourns to Brisbane, would we stay again, yes, but will probably go elsewhere to eat.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
BrisbaneJan10, Guest Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear SunnyCoastDiner,

Many thanks for you feedback.

I am glad to hear your welcome to the hotel was warm and seamless. It was also great to hear that your room was well appointed and of course the wonderful views of the river and beyond.

I was disappointed to read that you food experience was not as you expected. We are certainly addressing the areas that you mention.

Again, thank you again and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Jan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Right next to the gorgeous botanic gardens, this is my favourite place to stay in Bne. Somehow, I have always managed to book a sale or special room, which is lucky.
The lobby is grand, with a lovely staircase to one side - you feel like you're somewhere special. The rooms are bright and luxurious, and the service is superb. Proximity to bars and restaurants, a good spot to stay in town. It's very quiet at night, so you can count on a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Room with a view of the river and the Story bridge are the best!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
BrisbaneJan10, Guest Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Selkey,

It certainly appears that you enjoyed staying with us again. We are grateful for your kind comments.

We are indeed fortunate with our location, close to the botanic gardens, close to the city shops and restaurants, with a fantastic view over the river.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit to Brisbane.

Hobart, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

This once grand old dame is looking tired. The atmosphere is not helped when the music throughout the Hotel would be more suited to a funeral - time to change to soft pleasant music before your guests get depressed. The location is fabulous, our suite was very spacious but the beds were old and uncomfortable. The pool area and sauna are very worn, actually the sauna wasn't clean. The marquee netting is well past it's use by date - or maybe just a clean would help. Breakfast in the marquee was pleasant, it offered a good selection of hot and cold choices - I did worry about the eggs benedict as they sat there for a very long time resulting in making the muffin like a brick. Overall impression of the staff - they do a good job but not enough to make we want to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear grimrater,

Thank you for your feedback.

I was disappointed to read that your experience was not what you hoped it would be.

A hotel refurbishment is on the cards, with new mattresses and ensembles being swapped as we speak. We are working on the new plans for the remainder of the work.

We have taken on board your comments about the music and will review the play list accordingly.
In the meantime, we wish you safe travels and hopefully look forward to welcoming you when you next visit Brisbane

Best Wishes

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed one night here and found it to be very pleasant, with only one problem.
Pros: nice room, reasonable size, lovely view of pool and river, comfortable bed. Contrary to other experiences, I found the breakfast very pleasant, better than some hotel breakfasts because it went beyond the standard range and included some asian choices and french crepes which were delicious. It's true the coffee was average, but that I find is standard at all large hotels. The pool was amazing - next time I will try to use it. The location is great - next to the river and the botanical gardens - a stroll before work was lovely.
Cons: only one: noisy aircon in the room, it made a sound like a small vehicle was passing by every five minutes or so. Nonetheless, once I got to sleep it didn't disturb me.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
BrisbaneJan10, Guest Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear kristenw1967,

Thank you for choosing the Stamford Plaza Brisbane.

It was great to hear that you enjoyed the view from your room and the Breakfast. We do try to cater for as many tastes as possible.

I am sorry to hear about the noisy air-conditioning as they should not be so load to keep someone from sleeping. We will certainly investigate this further with our engineer team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel, and hope that you have time for a dip in our pool on this occasion.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed in a Suite at the Stamford in February of this year. The stay was booked as we had tickets to see the performance of the play Driving Miss Daisy. We booked the suite as a late Wedding Anniversary treat. When enquiring and booking I mentioned this to person who answered the telephone. Apologies for late review by the way. The suite was roomy and nicely appointed, however the cleaners could be a bit more diligent. As in, they should check under the furniture occasionally as there was old chocolate coated sweets left lying under the cabinet. Also for the whole of our stay there was a stained, cracked cup on the tea makings tray. This tray is misnamed as it was set up mainly for coffee drinkers with half a dozen sachets of coffee and only two tea bags. We had to call down to reception to ask for more on several occasions. Apparently it seemed the usual allowance was two per day. For that is all that was left each time the room was serviced. The shower stall could have seen the benefit of some mould remover. The reception staff were pleasant enough, but after arriving at the hotel at 8.00pm at night, tired from a six hour drive to Perth and then the flight to Brisbane, we were verbally directed to where the lift was and left to our own devices to find our room and carry our luggage. This is not the standard one would expect from a hotel of this calibre. The valet at the door when asked a simple question the following day was brusque and abrupt. We stayed at this hotel three days and he did not acknowledge us once when we walked past his desk to leave and enter the hotel. We did not eat at this hotel so cannot comment about the restaurants. The room was comfortable but the attitude and poor customer service did not impress and were we to return to Brisbane we would need better incentive to rebook at this hotel. The staff could learn much from those at the Shangri La in Cairns. Where we were made feel so welcome not just at the commencement, but throughout the whole week of our stay there.

Room Tip: Book a suite higher up in the hotel with a river view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear oberonrose,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

I was very disappointed to hear that your stay was not up to the usual standard and can assure you your comments have been shared with our management team so that those areas of concern may be rectified.

I do hope that you will visit us again in the future so that we can demonstrate we are truly a 5 star hotel who aims to wow our guests on every visit.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

The rooms were clean, spacious with lovely views over the river. Great central location within easy walking distance to local restaurants.
As I was travelling for business, there were a few things that let this hotel down, I had a box I needed couriered back to Sydney, which they explained they were unable to assist, they were able to hold the box for the courier collection but I needed to make these arrangements myself, On my way to the airport, I waited for 15minutes for the concierge to arrange a cab, I ended up going down onto the street and hailing my own as I couldn't wait any longer.
I would be happy to stay here again if I was on holiday, but I would be reluctant to do so again if I was travelling for business.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Charmaine_SPB, Guest Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Zickyboo

I was disappointed to read that you were not assisted with your courier requests. We can certainly assist with that and have done so on many occasions. There are procedures in place to for this specific situation. Since your comments we have reviewed these procedures and remind our staff that we are here for our guests and to provide assistance wherever we can. I do apologise for the frustration and inconvenience caused and can assure you that is not the norm nor the standard of service expected of our staff.

Overall, it does seem that you enjoyed your stay with us, which is wonderful to see. We do hope the issue you experience doesn't mar your opinion of us.

We wish you safe travels and hope to have you with us again in the future.

Best wishes

Charmaine
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Rooms are good with great views across the Brisbane River, very clean and enough space. Location is great, close to riverside restaurants and bars, and the city centre. Reception staff efficient and quick check-in.

At breakfast the food is good, but tables are often not ready even when the restaurant is not busy, and sometimes tables and settings are not cleaned thoroughly. While I was eating breakfast alone, a staff member placed a soiled placemat on the table next to me and left it there, apparently "ready" for the next guest. These types of problems have occurred on several stays, so I have given up and will either stay elsewhere next time, or book room only and go out for breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a separate shower stall, not with a shower over the bath-tub
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Charmaine_SPB, Guest Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Mickthered

I was disappointed to read of your breakfast experience in the Brasserie. This is certainly not the standard we expect of our team. I have touched base with our Food & Beverage Director and newly arrived Restaurant Manager regarding this and they will be reminding our staff of the expected service standard to ensure this does not reoccur.

We do hope you stay with us again so that we can demostrate the true 5 star service we are known for. Should you stay with us again and decide against dining in the Brasserie, may I suggest room service as an option for breakfast? Otherwise, as you mentioned, there are a number of options close by.

We wish you safe travels and look forward to having you with us again soon.

Best wishes

Charmaine

Been to Stamford Plaza Brisbane? Share your experiences!