“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Brisbane Central

You added Sofitel Brisbane Central to your Saves list
Sofitel Brisbane Central
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   249 Turbot Street, Brisbane, Queensland 4000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 30% off your stay!
Ranked #14 of 161 Hotels in Brisbane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Korean first
Toowoomba, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

The sofitel is a lovely hotel, service very good, beds amazing.
The air conditioning was poor, the room became very hot and muggy during the night, I spoke to others in my group and they complained of the same.
Service in the bar on Saturday evening was very slow and drinks very expensive.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

SofitelBrisbane249, General Manager at Sofitel Brisbane Central, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Kaylene E

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. Whilst it was pleasing to read that you enjoyed sleeping in our wonderful Sofitel MyBeds I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the air-conditioning in your room not working and also the poor service in the bar and I will address these with the relevant department heads.

Thank you again for your review and I hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.

wandererfromLondon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

The Brisbane Sofitel (previously the Sheraton) has always been one of my favourite hotels. Sadly, it's not what it once was.

My client was kind enough to book me in the night and I was warmly welcomed when I arrived and offered a complimentary upgrade - that was a lovely start. But it was all downhill from there. We had dinner in the buffet restaurant and while the food was excellent, the service certainly wasn't. We were finally offered and bought wine only after most of us were already on to the dessert course. Worse still, the restaurant was nearly empty so they were hardly run off their feet.

My favourite thing about 5 star hotels is the lovely sleep in the following morning. Sadly, that was thwarted at the Sofitel when housekeeping staff began loudly knocking on doors on my floor at 7:30am - yes 7:30! That was then followed up vacuuming and the opening and slamming of doors by staff from 7:50am onwards. Oh dear. Quite why staff at a 5 star hotel think guests want to be woken up by vacuuming before 8am is beyond me.

While this hotel is quite nice, it is not 5 star and no longer deserves the branding of a Sofitel. It's a sad state of affairs for what was once a much loved and well-located Brisbane hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
SofitelBrisbane249, General Manager at Sofitel Brisbane Central, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear DaveinMelbourne

I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your honest and constructive feedback following your recent stay with us. I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the service you received during dinner in the restaurant; there is no excuse for this poor service, especially as the restaurant was not busy, and I apologize for this. I will also follow up with our Housekeeping department about the noise made by the room attendants on the floor you were staying on.

Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope that we will get the opportunity of welcoming you back again.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I get the feeling that every hotel in the luxury sector is having to cut costs some way or another. It started happening with the airlines a while ago and the hotels followed suit with their various subtle methods (the option of not having your towels and sheets laundered under the guise of eco-consciousness, the decline of the turndown service, inflated tray charges for room service etc.). This is inevitable and I don't really have a problem with any of it, as long as the staff remain intelligent and courteous, the food remains good to eat and the beds remain comfortable.

The Sofitel Brisbane Central certainly still has comfortable beds and most of the food was excellent. The staff were mostly good but I can't help feeling that the pinch has come to them and they are suffering.

My husband and I were on three days' business in Brisbane. A working holiday if you like, so we decided to go for the Club Sofitel. A much higher rate, but we wanted to try it and figured that we deserved something extra for the gruelling three days we were to spend in the city. We are huge Sofitel fans so this stay was something we were really looking forward to.

Sadly our tiny, tired-looking room was the first in a series of disappointments. Accustomed to more generous quarters and a better desk, we immediately upgraded to a junior suite for an extra $80 per night. Seemed reasonable since my husband was spending the majority of his time working from the room.

The Club itself was beautifully situated with views across the city and to the hills. The range of refreshments was excellent and the evening canapés and drinks were fabulous. Breakfast was the absolute best too.

I had two business meetings in the Club. The first was excellent, the second was an all-day strategy meeting with an associate who had flown in from the NT. She was there as my guest and we asked for some secluded space, which was an advertised feature of the Club. We were given an entertainment room with low tables and seats built for relaxation, not work. We moved to the boardroom with a large table and comfortable work seats, but were told that there was a $50 hourly charge for this room after the first free hour. This, in the context of an almost deserted Club where clearly no one else wanted the room. With some effort I managed to get some proper work tables installed in the 'free' room but was informed that I'd have to vacate this room at a certain time as it had been booked so that a group of men could 'watch the footy'. Ridiculous. This is the kind of treatment I NEVER expect at the Sofitel. Very disappointing. The person in charge had no clue as to how to accommodate us or live up to what the Club Sofitel advertised in terms of meeting spaces.

The staff let us down again when, on the second morning, we went up to the Club to have our breakfast to be told that we were not listed as being in the Club. Our upgrade apparently broke the system and we fell off the face of the planet as far as the Sofitel was concerned. Our room keys didn't work, our newspaper wasn't delivered, we were questioned as to our legitimacy in public. All because we upgraded to a better room and the Sofitel system didn't handle it properly. Apologies were issued after they realised their mistake, but it left a bad taste and again, was unlike what we had come to expect from a Sofitel.

We tend to overlook small inconveniences like not accruing Accor points or rooms not being newly refurbished at a Sofitel because of the consistently exemplary service from the staff. Unfortunately, Brisbane Central, you let us down.

On our next trip, we will be doing the unthinkable and looking around at other hotels instead of immediately booking in to the Sofitel. We have never done that before, but the bridge to customer loyalty is a tenuous one and this was a trip that eroded rather than consolidated that bond.

Room Tip: Junior suites are very nice.
Dear Lyn S

I was very disappointed to read your review following your recent stay with us, particularly in regards to the issues you had with the Club Lounge during your stay. This is certainly not reflective of the service the hotel prides itself in and I have addressed the issues you raised with the relevant department heads.

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with your honest and constructive feedback and I hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Sofitel Brisbane Central

Been to Sofitel Brisbane Central? Share your experiences!