I stayed at the Sofitel in November 2011. It was ok--not outstanding, but also not bad. The room was clean; the views were wonderful; the beds were very comfortable; and room service was fast. If this hotel marketed itself as a three-star hotel, I might have given my experience there a more favorable rating, but the hotel claims to be a five-star hotel, and my experience was not a five-star experience. I stayed in a Club room, so I had access to the Club lounge. It was a perfectly fine club, but not nearly as nice as many of the hotel clubs I've used in other hotels.
For spa lovers, my advice is: don't bother with the spa! It's a tiny spa, with a rather sparse selection of available services. The Opal Temple is just a fancy name for a tiled steam room, for which they charge a fortune. My massage was not bad, but neither was it the best massage I've ever had. The spa does not offer much in the way of spa facilities--there's no general steam room, or sauna, or whirlpool, or relaxation lounge. Overall, I was very disappointed with the spa.
Few rooms have bathtubs, so if you're hoping for a deep bathtub filled with bubbles, you'll need to stay at a different hotel. My bathroom had only a small shower, and the bathroom was functional, but rather cramped, more appropriate to a three-star hotel than a five.
The fitness center is sufficient, with a few cardio machines, weights, and kettlebells. The view from the treadmills is quite nice. The fitness center is clean (except for the bathroom, which really needed a thorough cleaning!), but there are no showers to use within it, so if you've already checked out of your room and are hoping to get a quick workout in before you head to the airport, you'll need to make arrangements to shower elsewhere. There were no fitness center amenities that you often find in other five-star hotel fitness centers, such as chilled washcloths or lemon water. Again, for a three-star hotel, this fitness center was just fine. For a five star hotel? Not so much.
The location of the hotel is great. It's right next door to the train station, and it's a short walk to the Riverside restaurants. The desk in my room was large, which was useful for getting work done while I was there. The staff were very friendly and helpful, but...again, at a five-star hotel, it's the little things that matter, and those little things didn't happen here. Staff were friendly, but didn't remember guests' names. The concierge tried to help, but could not give recommendations for services outside of the hotel. At a three-star hotel, this is ok; at a five-star hotel, it's not.
Overall, I probably would not stay here again. There are other hotels in Brisbane that offer a more luxurious experience, and if I wanted a three-star experience, there are cheaper hotels in the area that are just as convenient as the Sofitel. I've stayed in several Sofitels around the world, and I will say that this one was the least impressive of all of them.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Brisbane Central Hotel Brisbane
- Sofitel Brisbane Central Hotel
- Accor Brisbane Central
- Sofitel Brisbane
- Brisbane Sofitel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Positioned in the heart of Brisbane, you will discover a hotel of sophisticated luxury and personalised service. Renowned for its inspiring arrival experience via the alluring lobby, the wide choice of food and beverage outlets and breathtaking views of the city and surrounds, the hotel’s reputation as the leading choice in luxury accommodation and conferencing is truly deserved.The property boasts 433 recently refurbished rooms and suites featuring delicate touches of contemporary sophistication creating a unique sense of luxury. The rooms and suites exude an artistic feel that links the progressive design of the new world with refined French Elegance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, ACCOR, Splendia, Tingo, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelTravel.com, Otel, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Sofitel Brisbane Central reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.