“They should call this hotel "your cancelled booking"” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Abbey On Roma

You added Abbey On Roma to your Saves list
Abbey On Roma
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   160 Roma St, Brisbane, Queensland 4000, Australia (Formerly Abbey Apartments)   |
Ranked #129 of 161 Hotels in Brisbane
“They should call this hotel "your cancelled booking"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I was supposed to be staying at the abbey apartments but when my friend and I arrived. They had told me that my card had been declined and that we did not have a room.
I was not notified of this at all from booking.com or the abbey apartments. The reception desk were very rude and they even tried forcing us out of the hotel.
Very poor service

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Coffs Harbour, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

If Trip Advisor did half stars, I would give this rating 3.5 stars and call it good.

You can't get a better location than this. Walk to Suncorp Stadium and Queen Street Mall. If you can't walk to where you are going, Roma Street train station is directly across the road.

The rooms are spacious, although I was a bit disappointed with our room compared to family staying in the room next door. We booked two superior rooms (605 & 606) and 605 looked like it had been refurbished with new carpet, king size bed, newish bathroom fittings and TV in the bedroom. Although our room, 606, had old carpet, old bathroom fittings, queen bed and no TV in the bedroom. That aside, I would still stay in 606 again as I wasn't too concerned with all that, I guess the point I'm trying to make was there did not appear to be any consistency between refurbished rooms. I checked with reception to make sure 606 was actually a superior room and not a standard room (given that I had paid for a superior room) and they confirmed it was.

Also, don't use the takeaway delivery service in the books on your fridge. The delivery service is not affiliated with the hotel, but offers a delivery service from heaps of restaurants around the area to all the hotels. Books are very outdated and the food was ridiculously expensive. We bought two pizzas which cost us $70 and they weren't very good pizza. It's only walking distance to The Barracks (http://www.thebarracks.info/dining-at-the-barracks) with heaps of restaurants, so go and get takeaway from there if you don't want to eat out.

The biggest reason which brought my star rating down was the cleanliness. The rooms overall appeared clean and the beds were clean and comfortable, but in both of our rooms the glasses and cups were dirty, our toilet had dirty rings around the bowl and I had to rinse the bath out before using it. It's up to each guest to wash the dishes before they leave, but I strongly doubt the guests before us washed their cups up and I don't think housekeeping checked that they were clean.

All this aside, I would definitely stay here again, which is why I gave it 4 stars rather than 5 stars. You can't get a better location and the rooms are decent. There is also a cafe directly below the apartments that sells good coffee.

Room Tip: Not all superior rooms have king beds so check when booking.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Right across the street from Roma St station so handy for AirTrain, long distance trains and the suburban network
The apartments are spacious and have all the facilities you'd need.
Many of the sofas are pull-out beds.

An excellent coffee shop just below, Chez Nous, with free wi-fi and
good breakfasts and lunches.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Karratha, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Let me start at the beginning....I booked the room over the internet and as my husband suffers from extreme vertigo i requested a room no higher than the 5th floor. I received a call soon after I had confirmed the booking advising that this was not possible so I requested my booking to be cancelled and be refunded the deposit I had paid. The receptionist spoke to the Manager and informed me that this would not be necessary as they would be able to accommodate my request.
On arrival we checked in and imagine my surprise when the receptionist told me it was on the 12th floor. I politely advised the lady that I was told that I could have a room on the 5th floor. The receptionist was very rude and abrupt and said that this was not guaranteed but she had managed to change things up and give us a room on the 4th floor. I was astounded by the recepionists attitude, customer service is not her strong point!
We paid $318 for 2 nights and I was expecting a nice clean room but that iis not what we got and I'm not impressed. The room smells musty and possible cigarette smoke. We only have one dining room chair but the room is for 2. They advertise a balcony with table and chairs, well we got the balcony and nothing else. The carpets had lots of stains on them and looked like they hadn't been cleaned in a while. The cupboards in the kitchen are very tired and the paint is peeling off the doors. There is a broken glass laying in the cupboard with the rest of the crockery, the cutlery has seen better days. The curtains were dirty in the bedroom and I don't know when they dusted the room. The bathroom drawer handles are rusted and one is hanging off the drawer. My husband and I decided that as we were only spending 2 nights in Brisbane and were pretty tired after the day's travel we'd head to bed early and speak to reception in the morning. Well so much for an early night!! As we got into bed we both rolled to the middle if the bed. It was virtually impossible for me to get to sleep. This was the final straw and so I find myself sitting in the lounge writing this review and watching tele (advertised as having a selection of Austar channels which I am yet to find! I will be making a complaint in the morning, let's see how the receptionist reacts to my complaint.
I would not recommend this apartment to anyone and will certainly not be returning. The only good thing about this place is the location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bargara
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Great central location if you need transport handy. Rooms are mediocre and the bed was just horrendous. couldn't sleep at all and had bad back at end of it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

Launceston, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at Abbey Apartments while in Brisbane for a conference. I did not choose this accomodation, but a colleague booked in our group from work.

We all had one bedroom apartments. Mine was not updated, however my colleague's apartment which was renovated had a bad odour so I was happy where I was located.

The location was excellent, the staff at the front desk were also very helpful. There was little noise at night in the apartments which was good considering my main purpose was being in Brisbane for work.

This is where the good aspects of Abbey Apartments stop. The room was terribly dated. It may have been clean but felt dirty because it was so worn - the plaster was even coming off the walls in the bathroom. The bed was so uncomfortable I felt the springs beneath me. The apartment was only serviced once during my stay of 5 nights.

I will not return to these apartments. It was unfortunate I did not have a choice of where to stay as I would've chosen a hotel room over an apartment.

If you don't mind dated rooms, like space and a kitchenette, and a reasonably priced apartment this is for you.

• Stayed September 2012
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Where shall I start ….recently stayed at the apartments for 3 nights and paid for a Superior room! When I made reservations seven months earlier for the superior room, I asked for a non-smoking with a ironing board and iron, washing machine and dryer as a advertised in the superior rooms, plus an apartment on the lower floors. They assured me that would receive all of this as they were all recently refurbished and I would not have a problem. The problem started when I receive the key card to go upstairs, I could see the office staff were as a little bit flustered. Once I receive my card after I paid for the room, I went upstairs………. Top floors. First impression was once I opened the door was the carpet had not been vacuumed, the bathroom had not been cleaned i.e.: toilet, shower and the basin were all dirty. This apartment did not look as though it was recently renovated… this was as a joke and there's no way the room had been cleaned properly for some time as evidenced by the dust accumulating, I noticed food stuck on some of the utensils, basically the whole room was in a filthy state. I went straight downstairs to inform the receptionist who basically went upstairs with me to look the room. Once she was there she organised the cleaning staff to clean the room. An hour later I went back upstairs and I checked the room. I noticed a lot of items missing or not working: lights, blinds and TV. Clock radio, toaster, cutlery were also missing. The furniture looked like it came from a second-hand shop, top of the dining table and chairs were damaged and scratched. I mentioned this to the receptionist who didn't take much notice and informed me that the apartments were privately owned and leased by them and at the end of the day. It was the owners’ responsibility to make sure everything was there. I did not get the room that I paid for and the management’s excuse was that the apartments were fully booked due to a special event.
Apart from that the location is good but for the same price you can stay in a professionally run hotel in the area as well there were four in the vicinity of the train station. I shall not return extremely disappointed.

Room Tip: go to another place
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Abbey On Roma? Share your experiences!