“Great, if you can get it cheap” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Park Regis North Quay Hotel

You added Park Regis North Quay Hotel to your Saves list
Park Regis North Quay Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   293 North Quay, Brisbane, Queensland 4000, Australia (Formerly Oaks North Quay)   |
Ranked #65 of 161 Hotels in Brisbane
Sydney, Australia
“Great, if you can get it cheap”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

I stayed at this hotel after booking a $99 apartment room through a special web offer in Oct09. Despite reading all the negative reviews about this hotel, I wanted to try my luck, as there had been mentions of refurbishment in late 2009. I stayed on one of the higher floors (12th?) for reference.

Firstly, the good points:
- Great location. It is close to Roma St, and easy walk to the casino, Queen St and Southbank. The riverview rooms are nice too, despite looking over a highway.
- Well equipped. Although the facilities (kitchen and entertainment) aren't top notch, they are good enough and do their job well. I also appreciate a good sized fridge (which was empty, the way I like it) and a large table that you can actually eat at.
- Spacious. There are a kitchen, dining table, lounge set, and a big bedroom, all nicely laid out, so it didn't feel cramped at all.

Now the bad points:
- TERRIBLE BED! As mentioned in previous reviews, the "king" bed is 2 single beds pushed together, with no cushioning on top so you can feel the join between the 2 beds, really uncomfortable. I hope the management will do something about that soon!
- Tiny bathroom. If I stood at the sink and someone opened the bathroom door, it would hit me in my sides. The shower over bath was also tiny, with the bath most definitely would not fit a grown sized man. The tiles grout joins also were falling apart and growing molds.
- TV. Might just be my bad luck, but the reception was terrible. Didn't bother complaining to reception as there was nothing worth watching on TV anyway, though I'd blame Australian broadcasters for that problem.

Other points to make:
- Lift. The lift is slow. I realise it's an old building, but you definitely do not want to be hurrying up and down during "peak hour".
- Paint smell. I try to think positively regarding this aspect, as it seems the hotel is in the midst of refurbishment, so I hope the "suffering" my nose endured would mean a better looking hotel in the future.
- Facilities. Since there was no minibar, I had to trek over 3 blocks to find a convenience store to buy some drinks. Stock up before you arrive!
- Credit card surcharge. This is standard practise of most Australian hotels, even 5 star ones, but do beware there's a 2% surcharge for using credit cards.

I'm not sure I would stay at this hotel again for their regular rates ($140+ for apartment rooms), but I would consider it if I got a special price again. Possibly even more interested if they get their "king" beds fixed up.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
SWHG_Operations, Manager at Park Regis North Quay Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2010
Park Regis North Quay is a quality accommodation product and aims to deliver up-to-date features, innovative technology and welcoming service.

You have put a lot of time and effort into reviewing our hotel and we appreciated receiving the feedback. Feedback is welcomed from guests to ensure we are able to deliver what we promise and to ensure your experience is enjoyable.

We like to exceed the expectations of our guests and are constantly looking for ways to improve our service standards. We are taking action to obtain quotes for new bedding and also improve cushioning on all king split beds to ensure a good nights rest for our guests.

Our maintenance team recently undertook a large amount of works to improve reception in the televisions; however we are currently working to improve our television reception in all rooms and bringing in new flat screens as a standard throughout the hotel.

On behalf of the management team and staff of Park Regis North Quay we would like to thank you for completing the guest feedback form. We have taken all your feedback and have taken action to improve on our service standards.

If we can assist you in any further way please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Korean first
Queensland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2009

Main complaint: the rooms either had two singles or a so-called "King". The "King" is really just two singles pushed together, with no pad to cushion the VERY uncomfortable ridge in the middle! (the rest of the room wasn't very nice either, especially the miniature bathroom/shower)

While we stayed there the parking garage was under construction so they gave us two options: 1) park on the street and move the car somewhere else at 7am, 2) park 3 blocks away in a parking garage that we had to pay for. They gave us a half price voucher, but it was still nearly $20 for the night - it should have been complimentary, especially since we had to walk back in the pouring rain. (a valet service would have been nice).

We got the room at a discount price (around $130) but it was still nowhere near worth that, I've stayed in nicer motel rooms for $50.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
SWHG_Operations, Manager at Park Regis North Quay Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2009
Dear a_wanderer777,

Park Regis is a quality accommodation product and aims to deliver up-to-date features, innovative technology and welcoming service.

I would like to assure you we are currently reviewing the split beds and making improvements into how they are held together through a local Brisbane company.

All works to the car parking garage are now complete and we do not foresee any further closures. We offer complimentary however limited parking on site, and we have set up a half price deal with Secure Parking (3 minutes walk to the hotel) on Roma Street to be able to offer guests a second option if parking is not available.

On behalf of the management team and staff of Park Regis North Quay I would like to again thank you for your feedback.

If I can assist you in any further way please do not hesitate to contact me on 07 3013 7200.

Kind regards,

Kellie Isbester
Hotel Manager
Brisvegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

We received a very good internet deal with this hotel and booked a nights stay as we had a function in the city. After reading the reviews about it I was a little worried and thought I might of done the wrong thing to book this place, but as soon as we arrived I wonder what everyone was on about.

This hotel was fantastic, we had a great stay and the staff couldnt have been more friendler. We had a 4.5 star room on the 20th floor - fantastic view!! The room was very spacious with king size bed and room was very comfortable and very clean.

Our room was very open with lots of big windows - to see the city change from light to dark was beautiful.

Also they dont charge you to park your car in their carpark, we have stayed at other hotels and they charge you $25 a day to park your car - and thats to do it yourself. Add another $10 on top if you get valet! Another tick for Park Regis in our books.

It was central to everything and it was nice to walk over to southbank to spend the morning at the markets and grab a bite to eat, the only problem is deciding where as there are so many great places to choose from.

If you are looking for a great place to stay, clean, close to southbank and the transit centre or a $7 cab fare to the casino/mall I recommend to stay at the Park Regis.

If you are looking for all of the bells and whistles with marble bathrooms / turn down service or a hotel to wait on you hand and foot book at Versace and pay 5 times the price.

Brisbane City is such a lovely place with lots of things to do and see....why spend all your time in the room anyways!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Park Regis North Quay Hotel? Share your experiences!