“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 161 Hotels in Brisbane
Albany, NY
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

To be fair, I am a Marriott and Hilton premier traveler. But even for Marriott's this one is special. The rooms are very nicely appointed, clean and comfortable. The hotel was very busy but the atmosphere upstairs was sedate. The Conceirge Suite is very good and the breakfast selection was good. The hotel bar was comfortable but not well separated from the lobby. Still it was comfortable. I did not try the restaurant but it was popular.
The hotel is just up from the riverfront - cross the quiet back street, down a short walkway and you're there. Parking like all of Brisbane is outragous - $45 valet - but as a Platinum member the fee was waived. Good to know.

Stayed March 2013
James F, General Manager at Brisbane Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear cbed90 – Thankyou so much for your rating and review. It’s wonderful to hear such praise, particularly from a seasoned traveller and one our Platinum Marriott Rewards members. I’m delighted you so enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to welcoming you again when your travels bring you back this way.

James Ferguson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Polish first
gold coast australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have stayed here 3 times but the most recent was last saturday night and it prompted me to post a review. I took my teenage girls to soundwave festival in the valley. My husbane and young son were given an early check in and the connecting rooms we requested were available. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff from the time of check in to check out. My husband and son had room service, in room movies and high speed internet during the day. When it was time to pick up the girls at 11pm the car was ready from the concierge. Late night pizzas after an all day music festival were delivered promptly and were DELICOUS!!! It was a lovely quiet night's sleep on comfy pillows which is a welcome relief from some noisy city hotels. Buffet brekky was YUM! coffee, bacon, eggs benedict and omelettes were so delicious too. Easy checkout, car ready to go on sunday morning + great views of brisbane. very clean and staff so friendly! will be back :) xx

Room Tip: we chose to have city view as we have 5 people so you need to do this for inter connecting rooms as...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

After checking into another hotel at 7pm to then get a refund, and to have to find another hOtel at very last minute. We turned up to the Marriott, lOvely check in, staff were great, Chrissy was very helpful on feot desk and the concerige boys were great with the car parking and taxis if needed. When we checked in we got a free upgrade, was very lovely after coming from a bad hotel experience. Thanks to all the staff! You are doing a great job!'

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Nikkitamara13 – I’m so pleased we were able to assist and turn what was a disappointing start to your stay in Brisbane into a very positive experience for you. We have a great team and they will be delighted to read your comments. Thankyou for taking the time and come back again soon.

Suffolk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I was on a business trip to Brisbane representing a pharmaceutical company and booked to stay at the Marriott. It was an average business hotel, with the usual facilities. However, when I attempted to check out, I was met with a very off-hand and rude attitude by the Check in Manager. I do not, and have never owned a credit card, however, I did possess a visa debit business card from Barclays in the UK. The machine rejected this card. It also rejected my personal card, my wife's business card and my son's debit card. The Manager's attitude was both arrogant and unhelpful. He tried the cards a total of five times. The Manager said this had never happened before and I felt as though I was attempting to cheat the hotel. Finally, I was forced to trek to ANZ bank and remove the funds in cash in order to pay the hotel. ANZ said the problem was totally with the Marriott's card reader as there was no error with the cards, and there was suffice funds for the transaction. I am appalled that the Marriott would treat a client in this fashion, and cannot help but feel they must benefit from the added percentage on credit card transactions. This is unacceptable treatment of business customers and I would caution other customers using the Marriott that they may well find their debit cards declined.

I travelled extensively throughout Hong Kong and Australia and this was the only occasion that caused any problem at all. My business debit card was accepted at every other card reader.

I shudder to think what would have happened had this occured at a week end or if I had a plane to catch, as this whole episode delayed me for over an hour.

The attitude of the Check in Manager was arrogant and almost gloating.

My advice would be to choose another hotel which showed more understanding to its business customers.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear annesleySuffolk – It goes without saying that we are terribly sorry that your otherwise enjoyable stay, as you had advised to me in previous correspondence, was marred by your experience regarding payment upon departure. I again extend my sincere apologies for the way in which the matter was managed. However, it was a most unique set of circumstances which resulted in much liaison and consultation from our side with our banking merchant and we do not believe that there will be any issues in future. We overwhelmingly receive such wonderful feedback regarding our service and standards and it is very disheartening to hear if any single guest is disappointed in any way, as you have been. I do hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you on a future visit to our Hotel to allow us the opportunity to regain your confidence.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself is fine. My room, despite being by the lift was quiet. The room was clean. Staff polite.
But for the cost, I would rather stay at the Sofitel.
The bathrooms are too dark to do makeup, I had to ask for shampoo and conditioner. The bedside alarm went off at 4 in the morning. There is a dated feel. I did have a last minute deal, so perhaps I had a lower level of treatment, but I still paid over 300 dollars.
I'm not saying it's a bad hotel, just that you can do newer and brighter for your money.

• Stayed February 2013
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Marriot is a very comfortable, well located hotel near the river - a short stroll from Eagle Street Pier and the Queen Street Mall. We had a lovely night together to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

The restaurant was a nice place for breakfasting and the king bed was very comfortable. The rooms are fairly standard for this class of hotel, but there were some nice touches (champagne and chocolates delivered for our anniversay).

Room Tip: Did not use the Spa - so please ignore the rating.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Florence, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed at this property for 2 nights recently and would say that it met my expectations. Hotel staff upgraded my room to a great view of the Brisbane river. Would definitely stay at this property again. Exec lounge was very nice!

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Brisbane Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!