“Dirty” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Base Brisbane Embassy

You added Base Brisbane Embassy to your Saves list
Base Brisbane Embassy
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   214 Elizabeth Street, Brisbane, Queensland 4000, Australia   |
Ranked #71 of 114 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Brisbane, Australia
“Dirty”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I have stayed in many hostels before but none as dirty as this one.
The rooms are cleanish, floors need a good Hoover.
The ladies bathroom on the 2nd floor are filthy. I had to wear flip flops on the shower cause it felt slimey. The sink and toilet haven't been cleaned in at,east 3 days as there is hair in and around the sink and has been there from when I arrived to when I left.
Fridges are a mess not clean. Every man for himself in the kitchen fridges. No where near enough space for the amount of travellers in the hostel.
Won't be coming back. Other base hostels are very good. Melbourne/Sydney .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Jennifer D, Manager at Base Brisbane Embassy, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Jane S,

I appreciate that you have reviewed our property it's always good to hear feedback from our guests.

With regards to your issues about the hostel being unclean I’m very disappointed to hear this. I have shown your comments to our housekeeping team who like myself have taken them very seriously. We really pride ourselves on having a clean hostel and have a strict system in place to ensure this standard is kept. Our whole hostel has had a complete deep clean and is looking good :)

With the fridges we haven't had a complaint about this before but are actually looking into another double door fridge which we are just waiting on!

We really hope you enjoy the rest of your trip and thanks again for your feedback.

The Base Embassy Team.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

If you're looking for a quiet hostel and away from the screaming people at night, embassy is a great place to stay. Unlike base central, embassy doesn't have a bar attached to it so you can be sure it'll be quiet.

The location is literally 10 minutes ( walking distance) from Central station.

The staff there are friendly, and with the private rooms, you get towels, toilettres, etc. ( just like a hotel).

There's a patio if you want to go outside, and the kitchen was decent ( it can get hot when the weather is hot though)

There's a movie room where you can just chill out and relax before heading off to your next location.

You get storage space for any room, and if you have a lock, you're set, otherwise, it's $5 and you get to keep the lock.

Overall, the best two points about this hostel: location and quiet atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Jennifer D, Manager at Base Brisbane Embassy, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Slughippie,

Thank you very much for the lovely review you have given us! It sounds like you enjoyed your stay and that is always our main aim!

It's great to hear you had a peaceful stay at Base Embassy. We are a quieter hostel but still with a great little personality we think :) Also happy to see you enjoyed our movie room and the balcony off your private room too.

We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels and come back to visit Base embassy and the crew soon:)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Well I was here for 2 nights but ended up staying 8. I wanted to leave but had other commits in Brisbane so had to stay. Overall it was great. I stayed in a 4 dorm and ever though abit more expensive it was worth it. For 2 nights it was only me in the room so was perfect. The staff were nice enough apart from one girl who I asked where something was and she looked me blank and then said 'I don't know' other than that can't fault them. The toilets could of been cleaner but its a hostel and you can't expect everything to be perfect. Cinema room smelt abit damp but again it is a hostel. I didn't use the kitchen so I cannot comment on that. 4 things I didn't like was 1 people waking me up with slamming doors and not having respect for people, I know this is no hostel's fault. 2 there where no lockers to lock my things away so had to carry stuff on me all the time as I didn't feel safe just leaving it, 3 there were only 2 plugs in each room so when people are un plugging your things its not good (maybe extension leads are needed) and number 4 the house keeping- I was in my room twice when they came in and did this, they change the bottom sheet, pillow case and give you another sheet but the duvet cover the just swap from bed to bed or just take them off and put them back on without changing the sheet so god knows how many people have used them before you. My overall stay was good and would stay again though without using the duvet!

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Les810,

Thank you very much for reviewing our hostel. It looks like to us overall you enjoyed your stay which makes us very happy!

Our staffs were happy to hear you found them friendly! With regards to the movie room we do conduct deep cleans monthly and the movie room is currently looking spick and span and damp free:)

We are also looking into more extension leads in rooms too. I have shown your comments on the duvet cover with our housekeeping manager who is speaking with all the team about it. That is certainely not our procedure for changing sheets and we haven’t heard of this issue before so we are both taking it very seriously.

Thanks again we really enjoyed reading your review! Happy Travels :)
Noumea, New Caledonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed a few nights last March in a 4-bed dormitory.
Location is awesome! Right in Brisbane city centre.
Embassy Base is a very secure place with key card system to access the backpacker entrance door, each floor and each room (and female bathroom for girls). You can choose to take a shower in the common bathrooms or in large single ones.
It is a large building with a lift and clean common areas (kitchen, TV room). Carpet floors in each rooms (careful if you are allergic).

Large kitchen with all you need. You can either eat in the kitchen or on the balcony which is great.
Unfortunately, there are only two fridges for the entire backpacker : that is too small. Also, we didn’t like the staff cleaning the floor in the morning while having our breakfast. That’s dirty. Please do the cleaning early morning not while people are eating.

Rooms are spacious and clean but pretty basic. Unfortunately, there is no closet in the room nor hooks to hang your clothes. Not very practical.
Large lockers under beds to ensure secure storage (don’t forget to bring your own padlock).
We asked the front office staff to cool down our room but it was still very hot. Too bad, we cannot control our own room temperature, and have to ask the reception to do so. Plus, no window in the room!

Good value for money. Definitely a place that I recommend while staying in Brisbane!

Room Tip: For a more convenient stay, ask a room on the second floor. Same level as the main kitchen, plus it...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer D, Manager at Base Brisbane Embassy, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Hi Guys!,
Thanks for taking the time to review our hostel. I am really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. As far as the cleaning of the kitchen goes, it's a little difficult to find a time to clean when no one is in there, so we try and get it out of the way as quick as possible from 8am.
That's a good point about nowhere to hang clothes in the dorms, I will definitely be looking into a solution for that.
There are windows in all of the rooms, just that some of them cannot be opened. This is due to the fact that we have central air cdonditioning, and the reason we had a problem cooling down your room is precisely because someone had a window open on your floor. This causes the airconditioning to take an incorrect reading of the air temperature.
I really appreciate you giving us this feedback, after all, its you guys that we want to be comfortable and happy while you're here with us!
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hostel was alright - we weren't expecting too much. It's all a bit dark and dingy but the dorm room wasn't too bad. The lockers were under the bunk beds and only 2 out of the 4 in the room worked.

The kitchen is pretty good, but a little bit smelly and we strugged to find plates and cutlery. Bathrooms were ok, quite clean - there was a female bathroom as well as some seperate showers and toilets. In general it's fairly quiet.

The good thing about the hostel is it's location - it's close to the main areas of the city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We paid $80 for a double room through hotels.com, their actual website was quoting a much higher price! We got upgraded to a en suite room as they didn't have a double room available which was nice. The carpets in the reception, hallways and bedroom could do with being changed and smelled a bit odd. The lady at reception was lovely and spent lots of time checking us in (nothing worse than being rushed to give u a bad impression!). The kitchen was also disgusting but I don't think this was the fault of the hostel more so the guests, there was dirty dishes and tables, food lying around and food dripping out of the fridge, it wasn't a very inviting environment. Fine for one night, functional and nice staff but the hostel could do with a bi of work.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We booked a double room with a shared bathroom, after reading some reviews on here before my arrival, I was dreading my stay, but have really been pleasantly surprised. Rooms are very small but very clean with good bed linen which is the main thing. Aircons really good and the staff have been super friendly, chatty and helpful.

My husband said the lads toilets and showers were pretty grubby but I can vouch for the girls and they were nice and clean.

Bit annoying that if ur checking out before 7am u have to go to the sister hostel to check out & obtain ur key deposit, its not too far but far enough when u have heavy backpacks.

The location is perfect not too far from the greyhound bus station and right near all the shops bars restaurants etc etc.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Base Brisbane Embassy? Share your experiences!