“Definitely not for everyone but for me? Absolutely!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Asian, Australian, Asian fusion
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Modern Asian-Australian music boutique restaurant in Paddington, Brisbane. Live music is played every Friday & Saturday night by our musician owner Mr Hong Ma.Eat well, relax and be 'Jazzy' free. That's our motto.
Sydney, Australia
“Definitely not for everyone but for me? Absolutely!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I came across the Jazzcat by accident one night out of curiosity and the appeal of smooth jazz tunes coming from within. Being an old jazzcat I thought perhaps this was the place for me.

I went in and quickly wondered if I made a mistake, why, this was not your typical jazz bar. In fact, this wasn't even a bar! The place was waay to brightly lit to be a jazz bar and the walls too dynamic filled with modern asian inspired art. I opened to menu, again, I was met with more contrast. Asian dumplings? Yum cha? Chinese tea??? These were things an old jazzcat like me were unaccustomed to. The smooth jazz however, made me stay and feel right at home.

So, I tried the tea. It was presented well and tasted fine. So far so good. I tried the gyozas, tasted good! I even sampled the Tom Yum Risotto and Salmon and have to say they were FANTASTIC. The food is a real fusion of asian and european dishes. People like to use the term 'fusion' loosely but Jazzcat for me really encapsulates it well. The salmon appeared to have been prepared like a lightly cooked Chinese fish in hot oil gave the fish a very consistent and moist taste. Not too cooked and not too dry - maybe a tad oily for some but then a salmon fillet is very naturally oily. The Japanese seaweed/endame (again not for everyone) accompanied the salmon exceptionally well for me. The vegetables not overcooked was a plus also. This is what fusion is all about for me and how it should be.

And the tom yum take on a classic seafood risotto? Brilliant! Makes your average creamy risotto taste like a pizza without cheese!! I couldn't fault the presentation nor the ingredients - the seafood was very good and tasted fresh.

It was whilst soaking up the atmosphere here and eating the main dishes that I eventually got the concept of Jazzcat and all it had to offer. In those split seconds I realised the often juxtaposed feeling you get there in the way everything appears to contrast in opposites. Lit up restaurant playing jazz, eating chinese gyoza at a place called 'Jazzcat', eating risotto 'tom yum' style. Things you normally don't expect to work, worked and so delicately put together it was near perfect.

If you're up for something different and no high expectations - try this place. But for me? I can't describe it but I get it, I get Jazzcat and Jazzcat gets me. I will be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Sydney, Australia
“Good food and good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Service was attentive, food was excellent with a varied and innovative menu.
Prices for food and wine very reasonable. Friday night visit included live piano giving a pleasant ambience.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Berlin, Germany
“Always a pleasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have been a regular at Jazzcat for over a year now. I love the food - especially the selection of share plates (Chicken rice paper rolls & Takoyaki are my favoutire). The service is always friendly and welcoming. I love the quirky decor and the 'jazzy' atmosphere! Overall I get very excited about visiting Jazzcat for dinner.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brisbane
“$8 charge if you leave any terrible food on your plate”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Wanted to try this restaurant for years after having a business in the area. Tried a few months ago, did the a la carte menu, was ok, we byo-d, was passable enough to notice when they advertised a $18 yum cha weekend lunch that we'd give it a go.
Food was absolutely terrible. It's the next day & I feel gross that I had even consumed it. Think of the cheapest brand yum cha selection you can buy from the supermarket, deep fry the life outta it and serve that. They have a list of the selection available and serve it to you. We asked if we could select items and have them instead and the waitress said yes but continued to bring out items we hadn't ordered. It was written on the board that it was 12-3 but the waitress told us the kitchen closed at 2.30. The boys in our group made a point so ordered extra plates on food which they reluctantly brought out, though asked 3 times if we really wanted it. There was a note on the menu saying that if you didn't eat the food on the plate there was a $8 charge for food wastage. So the terrible deep fried chicken wings that we didn't order and didn't want to eat had to be eaten, haha. A funny way to spend a Saturday afternoon and for $18 you can't feel ripped off, just safe in the knowledge we would never go back. A shame because most restaurants/cafes in PAddington are fabulous.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Hobart, Australia
“Food good, paid $4+ for sugary "orange juice/cordial"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We ate here one evening - the food was good and had interesting flavours. Seemed good value for money food wise.

Paid $4+ (I can't remember the exact price) for some "orange juice" that tasted worse and was more sugary than cordial. A real downer when a place can't even give you OJ out of a bottle that's 100% juice.

May or may not return!