“Confusing payment arrangements” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Brisbane, Australia
“Confusing payment arrangements”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

This is based on a meal I organised for a group of 10 diners.

I'd first like to highlight that the menu, food and cost were all excellent and value-for-money. I know the owners' family from the superior cafe just a couple doors down so I was keen to book this evening for a professional 'thank-you' for a group I'd just taken on tour to Tasmania. There were 10 of us dining and that's where the issue(s) arose.

When I made the booking two days early, I was told that any group of over 7 diners was required to pay by cash....only. During the ensuing 48 hrs prior to our arrival, I discussed this on several occasions with the management/owners as I really wanted/needed to put this all on my credit card. They agreed to allow me pay 1/2 (?!?!) the $300 bill on my card but the other half had to be cash. Very peculiar, indeed, and of personal consequence for me.

Then: we were seated in a nice little corner area, sort of out-of-the-way on a series of extremely narrow tables, the plates we were served to eat on weren't even bread roll-size plates (couldn't fit more than a couple mouthfuls of food on the plate) and the plates the various mains were served on were HUGE for the most part. They didn't fit comfortably on the tables but the service staff just continued to bring them all out....and waited for us to juggle everything on the tables to accommodate them. It was quite embarrassing.

While I'll most likely go back there as an individual patron (the food was yummy!) or with a small group of friends, I won't go back with a group or with professionals. Nor can I recommend this venue for any group meal that I might organise as a tour operator.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Worst Ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Got a table for 2 this Sunday lunch time. We were seated then handed our menus this took approx 15 mins. There were only a small group of other customers. So it wasn't that busy. We waited an half an hour before my partner went to the counter and asked to have our order taken. It was then another 5 mins before we were approached. We were not offered any drinks or shown a wine list at all. I asked the waiter about something off the menu and all I got was a mumbled I don't really know. There was another female waitress and she was literally running between the kitchen and the counter. In the time that we had been there then atmosphere was dark and dreary and the only background music was the noisy radio playing from the front counter we're our table was. Then the ridiculousness of the whole place started !! After 3 times coming to our table with other patrons food and repeating ourselves of what we had ordered and waiting another half an hour my partner finally had enough when the table of people which arrived 30 mons after we did got their entree and mains before us. What a waste of time !! No apologies and another couple walked out as well. The food looked and smelt amazing but the place was dirty and service was non existent. Totally unhappy and never will be back. Don't go!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brisbane, Australia
“Fantastic Vietnamese dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We had a magnificent dining experience at the Red Lotus Annerley. Absolutely authentic Vietnamese food and took us straight back to all the great food we experienced in Vietnam a year ago. The staff were really friendly and efficient. We had a really nice talk with one of the wait staff who came from Hoi An, one of the places we visited.

We had duck rice wraps, BBQ chicken, salt and pepper squid, tamarind prawns and special fried rice - all of it with that distinctive delicious Vietnamese taste. We were comfortably full and didn't have room for desert. Our meal cost about $70 (not including drinks), very reasonable. We are definitely going back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Noosa, Australia
“Food Glorious Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

By far the best food experience we have had in a long time, this is seriously great Vietnamese cuisine. Red Lotus offers an enormous menu which include our favorites plus dishes many you just don't see in 99% of Vietnamese restaurants. We had a series of tasting dishes selected by Leighton Red Lotus's owner and loved every dish but absolutely fell in love with a few. The Vietnamese Mountain Goat Curry is 'luscious, creamy with delicious warm spices and chunks of goat that had been braised low & slow so the texture was perfect'. The Tamarind Chilli King Prawns were divine the 'prawns were cooked to perfection and coated with an perfectly balanced intensely flavoured tamarind & chilli sticky jammy mixture. Too many adjectives I know, but it was that type of dish. The meat from the grill had to be mentioned as they were superb in particular the frenched lamb cutlets and the lemon grass pork skewers which were so good I could have eaten 100. My only disappointment was I had no stomach room left for even a baby pho... well there is always next time! If you love Vietnamese food or just love great food you will be in your element here. Just one warning you will be unable to go just once.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Queensland
“Excellent & delicious food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

The food was absolutely delicious. The restaurant catered for a 5 year old and a 10 month old - nothing was too much trouble. Service was great. Can't wait to go there again when next in Brisbane.

Visited May 2014