“Ok for the price I paid” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Meriton Serviced Apartments Brisbane on Adelaide Street

You added Meriton Serviced Apartments Brisbane on Adelaide Street to your Saves list
Meriton Serviced Apartments Brisbane on Adelaide Street
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   485 Adelaide Street, Brisbane, Queensland 4000, Australia   |
Special Offer
Free Wi-Fi
Ranked #2 of 165 Hotels in Brisbane
Sydney
“Ok for the price I paid”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Got a great deal on this hotel through a daily deal website so although I felt the hotel needs improvement for the $95 rate, I can't complain. The location of the hotel is quite confusing with one way streets etc but eventually we managed to find reception and got directed to the car park. Check in was a little vague and I felt perhaps the staff were all new and still getting used to having guests in the hotel. The hotel felt like it is in a pre-opening stage (there is a crane still on the roof). We were allocated Level 4 which had very limited views. There are floor to ceiling glass windows so we were constantly pulling blinds down if you didn't want the neighbours looking in. Even the toilet sits beside a clear glass window so every time someone used the bathroom the blinds were lowered. We liked that we could open windows for fresh air. The layout of our room was quite odd. It was a very long hallway which made me quite uncomfortable throughout the night as I could not see if anyone was entering the room. The door had a double lock but no latch. The appliances are mostly cheap but most seemed to work ok, Take your own hairdryer as one supplied is a little travel dryer and the iron has no steam function and very poor quality. The bed was comfortable and air conditioner worked ok once we got the setting right. The Foxtel was annoying as you surf through all the channels but only a few work. Another strange feature was there are blinds and curtains in the lounge, but the end of the curtain hangs only a very small distance from the stove top which I would have though would not be allowed. We were there for 2 nights only but over that time we must have heard the fire engines go past at least 7 times. We worked out that the fire station was up around the corner and it all made sense. We did try and sleep with the windows in the bedroom open for fresh air but had to close them and turn the AC on due to the traffic noise. The car parking at the hotel is $35 per night. The location of the hotel allows you to walk to the city or Fortitude Valley in around 10 mins and we barely used the car. There is no mini bar or food on site as yet but there are a couple of bars/restaurants close by. There a few other things like the wardrobe design could be an issue if you are short and trying to hang shirts on those hangers that aren't removable. The room was very clean and all furnishings were like new. As mentioned already, I got a good rate so felt like I got what I paid for but I probably wouldn't stay again at the standard rates.

Room Tip: Ask for a room up high
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

We have stayed at Meriton in Sydney, Broadbeach and now Brisbane and have yet to be disappointed. Stayed in Brisbane on November 12th.Our 1 bedroom apartment was on 28th floor and the views are spectacular especially at night. Very clean and comfortable and quiet.We enjoyed our room and thought the couch in the lounge area was quite comfortable. Staff we encountered were efficient and helpful and like with anyone you give a smile and a thank you and they respond in kind. Some earlier reviews spoke about needing more artwork etc and thats fair enough but I personally prefer the minimalist look of the lobby. The hotel is a very pleasant 15 minute walk (along the river) from a great choice of cafes and restaurants.We actually dined at Ciccio's which is right next door and found the food to be excellent. The only down note we had is the fridge was not working properly with it barely being cold despite adjusting the temperature control

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

Stayed there one night with my daughter after being sent a fantastic opening special. Dont think I would have stayed otherwise.
The view was wow with floor to ceiling windows where it wasnt blocked by buildings in front.
Windows dont open much but being on the 19th floor we still got a good breeze come through surprisingly. Bed was very comfortable. Could walk along river and catch ferry nearby. Nice walk along the river to cafes. Was very modern decor as the new hotels are now, so feels somewhat impersonal and clinical, couch looks nice but uncomfortable but didnt spend much time there any way.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Stayed here mid week. Easy to get to. Cheap. New and clean furnishings. I think I was the first person to stay in my room ever actually. So I can't complain!

• Stayed November 2011
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I was in Brisbane for business so booked a 1 bedroom serviced apartment mainly for these reasons:
- Good walking distance to my office
- Wow factor as it is the tallest building in Brisbane
- Brand new so expected clean amenities
- Competitively priced

However, having stayed here I've got the following comments/feedback (I realise some are nitpicking and a matter of personal preference):

- The place feels a little sterile, especially the main lobby and corridors to the rooms. Could do with a few furnishings, pieces of art, soft music playing over the speakers, etc. to make it feel more 'homely'
- Water saving shower head is annoying as it has limited pressure and water flow
- Some rooms have unfrosted windows over the shower/bath which gives a feeling of insecurity when naked in the bathroom
- The sofa is too hard. It feels cheap and uncomfortable
- The rooms are dusty. For example, I left my computer and iPad on the bed and a few minutes later, the screens on both devices were covered in dust
- I understand this is a serviced apartment, not a hotel, but it would be good if there were some in-house food options
- The ironing board does the job but it is not flat and of cheap quality
- The iron is cheap and has no steam function
- The washing machine is a top-loader (water inefficient!) and a cheap make/model.. but I guess it does the job
- I personally dislike shower over baths. I would much prefer if it was a separate shower - but that's just me being picky
- Pillows are uncomfortable (but could just be me)
- A lot of the Foxtel channels are blocked - bare minimum selection of channels available
- Meriton have no loyalty or frequent stay program

Notes:
- I didn't use the pool or gym so cannot comment on those

Would I stay again? Most likely if I was in Brisbane for business and I needed a bed but not if the prices keep increasing as they are at the moment or if I was in Brisbane for holiday.

Meriton, please introduce a loyalty program if you would like repeat customers.
Also, please do not keep raising the rates - keep it in line with similar comparable apartments/hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor on the Story Bridge side for great views
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Toowoomba
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We thought we would try out the Meriton whilst staying in Brisbane overnight.
The hotel is very sterile & unfortunately lacks character and comfort. If feels like the developers just wanted to get it completed quickly and have not really put thought into the the finishing touches. It feels & looks cheap as a result.

Although the finishes are brand new - the cleaners need to pay attention to the public use areas for scuff marks on walls, floors and windows which were all dirty.

The Meriton definitely need some plants, artwork or more furniture to soften up the clinical feel of the place. Minimalism is good - but the finishes need to be of a higher quality to pull it off successfully - Meriton misses the mark here.

The pool area, whilst clean, is so uninviting. It desperately needs furniture like pool loungers or chairs, plants, available towels and air conditioning.....it is so incredibly hot & stuffy in there.

The rooms are nice, but the TV is annoying (Staff - please remove the austar channels that have no coverage & ensure that the remotes work correctly). The sofa in the lounge area is so hard and uncomfortable.

Meriton is a good base for walking into the CBD - just don't plan on relaxing in your apartment - we couldn't wait to get out of there - its a good spot for a bed for the night (the bed was very comfortable) with a great view - but otherwise I felt very claustrophobic.

The car park requires some signage it is a rabbit warren.

Our stay suited our purposes of a bed for the night - but it wasn't a memorable experience and we won't be staying again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room up high facing the Story Bridge.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
MSA-MGT, Manager at Meriton Serviced Apartments Brisbane on Adelaide Street, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Thank you for advising us of your thoughts regarding your stay. We apologise that you did not find Meriton Serviced Apartments Adelaide Street to your liking.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

We booked at Meriton purely on price and we certainly were not disappointed! We only paid $135 per night for a brand new, one bedroom apartment with full kitchen and laundry (we didn't use it but would if we stayed longer), access to pool (indoor, heated), spa (warm and clean) and gym (very well equipped and spacious), close to Fortitude Valley and the City (restaurants, movies,etc)...the list goes on! The area is very funky and has a 'Melbourne' feel to it.

We were warned that there might be a little construction noise, but it was negligible, although that was mostly due to excellent noise cancelling windows. My favourite thing about the room...The air-conditioners, necessary due to the 'city noise' even from the 17th floor, were SILENT! The views were outstanding from the floor to ceiling windows, the finishes were beautiful, the bed was so comfortable. The pillows are very soft but high profile, so if you are a tummy sleeper - bring your own. I would definately stay there again. The only slight downside was the 'water-saving shower head'. It was dreadful and not suitable for washing your hair but it did successfully spray everything else in the room! Parking was $20 extra a night, which is pretty standard for Brisbane.

Room Tip: The higher you go the better the view but choose a southern room (view towards the bridge) to avoid...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your amazing review.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at Meriton Serviced Apartments Adelaide Street.
Your feedback and the time you have taken to review your stay is very much appreciated.

Been to Meriton Serviced Apartments Brisbane on Adelaide Street? Share your experiences!