“Rats and Bedbugs.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 110 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Melbourne, Australia
“Rats and Bedbugs.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I booked a 1 bedroom apartment 9 days before checking in but when I arrived was told by the lady at the front desk (Angie) that I had no booking. I argued the fact as I'd booked it with her over the phone, but she then proceeded to tell me to "Go [--] myself, they didn't have a room." I was almost in tears - where else was I going to go?
Her husband, Dean, the son of the duty manager was kind enough to find me a room for that night but they were fully booked after that. When I got into the room it was fine, but al through the night I could hear scratching in the bathroom - at about 3am I got up to see what it was and then were two rats under the sink. I slammed the door of the bathroom shut and put a towel along the door (I didn't know what else to do!).
As it turns out, it was to my benefit they were fully booked (although the damage was already done overnight) as when I checked out the next day and checked into another hotel in the city, I had bites all over my legs and my back.
I told the front desk about the rats and she said it was impossible and was I sure? I just stood there looking at her with my mouth gaping open. When the bites eventually showed up, I was too embarrassed to tell them about the bed bugs.
I don't mind if hotels are basic, but clean should be a pre requisite!
Totally ruined my stay of Brisbane and I can only hope people have a better experience than I did.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
SpringHillCentral, Owner at Spring Hill Central Apartments, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
AW is a Travel Agent who has never stayed at SHCA. This report is fradulent. At SHCA there are no cupboards under the bathroom sinks, they are all pedestal wash basins and if AW had stayed at SHCA she would know that. This alone proves that this person has never set foot nor stayed at SHCA. Our apartments are clean and tidy, well maintained and there definitely are no rats nor bed bugs at our establishment. AW did not book her client correctly by faxing the charge back sheet with credit card details, clients details etc. When client arrived for his 2 night stay we only had 1 night available. We explained to the guest and offered him the one night which he took and complimented us on our courtesy, helpfulness and as he had flown for hours, he was tired and appreciated us accommodating him for the night. My front office manager contacted AW and this lady used the 'F' bom word to my front office manager, ranted and raved and was most unprofessional. No hotel anywhere in the world will hold a booking without a credit card or charge back details. We are still waiting for the nights accommodation to be paid by the company as well. We are a small family run business providing exceptional customer service, well maintained clean and tidy Brisbane CBD accommodation and are shocked at the unprofessionalism of this person. As we have dealt with this company on many occassions we dont personally feel this is the companies normal procedures and this person is being reported to her company.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

The apartments are roomy, comfortable and clean.

Everything here you would need at a cheaper price than a hotel. The location is ideal. There are plenty of restaurants and coffee shops, pharmacy, post office and 7/11 store just around the corner. We enjoyed dining at the restaurants close by.

The free Spring Hill loop city bus stops right outside the door, and will drop you at the door of the hospitals nearby, and close to the Queen St Mall.

We requested an early check in and were cheerfully welcomed by Max at 6.30am.

Look no further. This place is great.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

Apartment spacious and fairly well equipped although one 3 seater settee in an apartment for 4 people was a little limiting. The place needed a bit of TLC - curtain rails needed sorting out, the 2 chairs on the balcony were both broken and our tin opener was in pieces. Luckily we had an understanding neighbour who lent us hers!
There was no info about how to connect to the internet in the room and we couldn't manage to find anyone on reception or answering the phone. As a consequence we had to find a cafe with wi-fi to get connected!
A free bus leaves from directly outside the apartment block which was handy although we tended to walk down into the shopping area as it only took 15 mins or so.
Roma Street Parkland is very close by and is a fantastic space. beautiful gardens and always something going on - well worth a visit.
The area is dead on Saturday and Sunday being part of the business district - virtually all the local cafes and restraurants were closed. However, there was hardly any traffic around which meant some peace and quiet!!

Room Tip: try to get a room away from the main road
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

We stayed here for a couple of nights in May with some friends. We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment. We got a good deal on line so the price was good - very reasonable. The apartments are located in Spring Hill which is not far from the city. We arrived on our flight very early - and unfortunately there was no early checkin available- plus the office hours are only 830. Luckily we had some friends - so stayed at theirs whilst we waited til checkin time. The apartment itself was very large and spacious! 2 very large bedrooms - large living area and kitchen. The only downside was I found the apartment quite dusty!

Location is great - has a loop bus that goes regularly monday to friday into the city and stops at queen street which is very handy. It is only a 10 minn walk from central station which is also great. On weekends though you may have to walk into the city as there is no bus!

Max the manager was very helpful and instructed us about good places for food and also how to get around. I would recommend this place if you are going for a few days and need a cheap, comfortable option with no frills near the city.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

Had a few nights here just before the easter weekend and got a good deal from Max.
The place is quite roomy and situated on a quiet street, one of the big bonuses is that right outside the front door you can get the free loop bus into the city centre.
Max who runs the place is very friendly and very helpfull this is a nice touch.
Only complaint was that there was a lack of kitchen utensils for cooking.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Bohol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

Spent a few days in Brisbane on our return from the Philippines. Got a great deal online so tried this property. Great location, huge apartments and friendly management.

• Stayed November 2010

Been to Spring Hill Central Apartments? Share your experiences!