“Great place to stay for Brisbane Entertainment Centre” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Colonial Village Taigum

Save Saved
You added Colonial Village Taigum to your Saves list
Colonial Village Taigum
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   351 Beams Road, Cnr Beams & Handford Road | Taigum, Brisbane, Queensland 4018, Australia   |
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great place to stay for Brisbane Entertainment Centre”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I booked this motel for its proximity to the Entertainment Centre as I had three concerts to attend on consecutive nights and didn't want to have to commute in and out of the city.

The first thing I noticed was how clean the room was for a basic type of motel - probably the cleanest I have ever seen for a motel that isn't brand new. And even better, the front desk and cafe staff were friendly and helpful right from check-in and at every turn. They organised a dinner and shuttle service package for people to get to the venue for each show, avoiding any pre-show stress. Cyclone Oswald was causing some problems at the time with a postponed and then cancelled show, and power outages. The staff were right there, checking on their personal iPhones and iPads to keep me informed, without me even asking. They helped with transport info to the venue and around Brisbane.

Public transport in the area was very easy to use and I was able to go out and do what I wanted each day with minimal effort.

I was very happy with my stay and this will be my first choice for accommodation when I go back to the Brisbane Entertainment Centre.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Village351, Owner at Colonial Village Taigum, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review, it is greatly appreciated.

In reflection, one could say, what a weekend! Cyclonic winds, torrential rain, no electricity, two shows cancelled at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre and yet, in true tourist style, you soldiered on and persevered!

Great to receive your feedback about our staff and property; your comments help us to work hard and try and achieve this outcome for all guests that come through our door!

Hope you had a safe journey home and thank you once again.

Kind regards,

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I was looking for a hotel close to Brisbane airport for two nights and found this property. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff were very friendly. Even though there was a kitchenette the room was extremely small (esp. the bathroom) and it is very basic accomodation. There were 3 TV channels, no Wifi (cafe was closed) and the hard wired ethernet did not work despite spending over an hour trying to get it to do so. It's about than 10 min from the freeway and 15 from the airport in a residential area. I read other reviews saying they considered it a great price but this would be a USD$80/night hotel in the US so at over USD$230 I would say it is poor value for money, but I am not familiar with how it compares to other hotels in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review for our property.

It was disappointing to hear that your stay was not at least to your expectations but nether the less, we welcome all comments as this helps us be better at catering for you, the guest.

Kind regards,

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

I specifically booked a double bed plus bunks and paid an extra $50 for this as my brother was crashing with me. When we arrived they had ignored my booking and given us a double bed only. They said they didn't have any vacancies for the room I booked and when I asked why I wasn't called to advise they had no response. Their excuse for giving us the double only was that we had no kids. They obviously decided they new what I wanted better than I did...not impressed
On a really stupid aspect the rooms all say they have clock radios in bedroom. Yes our room had a clock radio, but it was not plugged into power because there were no power points in the bedroom....hmmmm really?
Shower had mould growing along all silicon joins and beds were so hard I only slept 2 hours a night, it was like sleeping on the ground- would not recommend, better to pay more for decent respectful service and a good nights sleep.

• Stayed December 2012
Village351, Owner at Colonial Village Taigum, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear Guest,
As you would recall, I spoke to you in person yesterday regarding your stay here at the Colonial Village. I apologised to you with regards to the staff member that had handling your reservation incorrectly and explained that it was not normal procedure for a reservation to be handled in the manner that yours was.
We spoke at length in Reception regarding your stay but you did not mention any of the other matters that you have raised in this review.
I have checked the details of your reservation and you did not incur a surcharge of any kind. The booking was made via a third party wensite not directly with our property. It is also to be noted that both of the cabins that you were offered have a minimum of two double power points in the bedroom area, I apologise that the clock radio was not plugged in for your convenience.
All of our bedding is supplied from a well known Australian manufacturer and it is a premium commercial range. The bedding is this cabin is not yet six months old. I regret to hear that you did not have a restful sleep especially that the reason for your visit was due to a family member passing.
During your visit to Reception yesterday I also offered you compensation to the equivalent of one night's accommodation being refunded to your card due to mishadling of your reservation. You welcomed this offering but unfortunately regreted to comment on this in your review.
My apologies once again that your stay was not a least to your expectations.
Regards,
Pukekohe, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

The reason we booked this hotel is the fact that it is reasonably priced and within 20 minutes drive of the Airport. We stayed in a connecting room with our son and his partner. The property has a mixture of accommodations available.
The rooms were clean but nothing startling and ours backed on to the main road which made them quite noisy.
We used the laundry facilities that were located in a small laundry area inside the complex within easy walk of our room.
The breakfast which was included in our tariff was very nice.
Overall it was an ok stay for an overnighter.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

we arrived out of hours and as informed our room was ready and perfect for our stay. in the morning we had a wonderful continental breakfast in the on site resturant (very friendly staff) the reception staff were also very helpfull and proffesional . the sming pool is kept very clean and even pool towels are provided at reception. the room was larger than most with en-suite and fridge etc. There is a nearbye shopping are with a pub (Great aussie food) a chinese,indian and pitsa place. Just up the road there is the railway station with free parking where you can catch a train to central Brisbane. we found this motel was perfect and it is family run which is reflected in the excellent service and charm of the place. We have seen negative comments about having to sign you will be resposible for any damage to rooms but that is no problem every hotel we have been in swipes your credit card for this purpose. If you want a motel that is clean has good sized rooms with simming pool etc. you will not go wrong with this one.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed here with my parents as I was competing at a sporting event and the accommodation was only 5 minutes from where we had to be.

The Billabong "villa" was in fact a pre-fab unit as were all the other rooms apart from the motel rooms.

We arrived on a very hot day and the air conditioning had not been turned on so it was suffocatingly hot when we got into the prefab unit. After 1-2 hours of having the airconditioner on the unit hadn't cooled down and I went to ask reception but they said just to give it more time. Eventually we worked out that we had to point the remote at the airconditioner about 2m away so that it registered you pressing the buttons and it did eventually cool down so we were comfortable. The pool was a cool refuge on this day. The kitchen was well-equipped as was the bathroom - we had a spa bath in our bathroom. The lounge area was very comfortable and tastefully decorated. The second bedroom had 2 single beds but no power outlet! Fortunately this room opened out directly facing the one airconditioner in the unit so cooled down eventually. The master bedroom had queen bed with fan and 2 power outlets. The outdoor deck had large outdoor setting and a sunshade umbrella that was very handy for eating breakfasts outdoor. We were visited every morning by a bush turkey pecking on the front door, previous lodgers must have fed it.

It is a quiet area to stay in with few food options, but you can go down to the local shopping centre Centro Taigum, or to the larger Westfield Chermside a close drive away, both of which have supermarkets.

This served our purposes for a sporting trip and was comfortable enough. My only two complaints are that on suffocatingly hot (38-42 degree) days it's unfair to not allow tenants to leave the air conditioner on as the units heat up very quickly. The key is needed to slot into supply the lights and air conditioner so unless you leave your unit unlocked, there's no way to keep the AC on while you're out. Secondly, there were mosquitos everywhere! We ended up buying electrical insect repellant devices to keep them at bay.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the pool as young families often come here and wake up to use the pool at 7a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Gladstone, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Booked online. Booking was exactly as expected. The room was clean, well equipped and quiet. The on site cafe/eatery is excellent with good service, atmosphere, food and coffee. It is 2 minutes drive from a medium sized shopping complex and only around 10 minutes to Chermside Westfield. We will stay there again on our next trip.

Room Tip: We selected a superior room with breakfast and the price was excellent
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Colonial Village Taigum? Share your experiences!