“Average zoo experience” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #54 of 131 Attractions in Brisbane
More attraction details
Owner description: Alma Park Zoo is set on 40 acres with 12 acres set under a rainforest canopy. We currently exhibit 100 species, with more than 200 individual animals. We pride ourselves creating a unique and exciting experience in a natural environment that will empower the community to be involved in the conservation of wildlife and their environment.
Brisbane, Australia
22 attraction reviews
“Average zoo experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

As far as zoos go, this one is fairly average, I have been a few times with the kids to occupy them on the odd weekend we have had free, but mainly because it is only 20 mins from our house and each time I have been I have had a reduced voucher from one of the various discount sites ie. living social/cudo/scoopon etc and so it has been relatively cheap.
It isn't that big and is in a bush setting so all the footpaths are like dirt/ gravel tracks, there are no big animals here like elephants, giraffes, big cats etc it is more monkeys, birds, koalas, deers, kangaroos etc. They do have a small reptile house and an opportunity to see some animals up close and have a photo taken ( for an additional cost) ie snakes, koalas etc. and also a small kids farm area with baby chicks, guinea pigs, goats and sheep.
There are various toilets around the park but they always seem to have mozzies in them so beware.
The picnic areas are good, plenty of seating under shady trees and also a large grassy area which is more in the sun. There is plenty of parking too and a small cafe area if you decide you want to buy your lunch.
In my opinion, the monkey and bird enclosures are not that big which is sad to see and I know the park is scheduled to close in the next couple of years and will relocate to the south side of Brisbane, as the owner has sold the land to a developer...pretty much new housing has been put up all around it already.
As I said its ok to fill an afternoon if you can get a discount entry voucher; I think Lone Park Koala Sanctuary in Brisbane is a better option for a Brissie animal experience for kids.

Visited April 2013

Brisbane, Australia
12 attraction reviews
“Family trip on the way to mooloolaba”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The grounds are lovely in a tropical setting. The animals are very well cared for, cages and pens immaculate. Fortunately we had a voucher, otherwise the cost is very high for what it is. Little chance for interaction and the reptile display was very average. The cafe was very average, expensive and not much on offer.

Visited June 2013
Queensland, Australia
6 attraction reviews
“Not what I expected, not sure I will return”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

This zoo is defiantly not what I expected.

It's basically a large property with dirt paths and fenced areas with animals.
We were lucky to get a scoupon which was 2 adults for $34 instead of $37 each.

The park doesn't take long to complete and there is a wide range of animals to see.
Feed is available to the front gate but there isn't many animals that can be fed the food.

There are BBQ facilities and you can take any food and drink in with you which is handy.

The toilet facilities defiantly need to be revamped, they were putrid.

There is also a small cafe for food, drinks and sovineers.
It was good but I won't be rushing back there anytime soon as I feel it was a bit of a let down.

Visited June 2013
Ipswich, Qld
7 attraction reviews
“The animals aren't the only sad ones!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

My husband and I visited with our children and were sadly disappointed by the overall experience. The grounds are very lovely and there is plenty of free parking but that is about the only pros. Unfortunately, the whole zoo just felt a little sad and tired and the animals were not very interesting to look at, didn't appear to have any personality. The toilet facilities are dreadful and woeful. I don't know when they were last cleaned. The shows were informative, but there is just not enough space for people to sit as most people had to stand in the soggy mud. We were rather lost by the layout, as we were just wandering around and there was nothing to entice you to the enclosures, just felt a bit mishap. Thankfully, we did use a deal so got in for a good price, otherwise it would of been even more terrible. I hope to see major improvements made to this attraction in the coming years, otherwise I think the place will close down.

Visited May 2013
Teale S, Manager at Brisbane's Alma Park Zoo, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your visit to Alma Park Zoo. We do value either negative or positive feedback in an effort to continuously improve the Zoo. As a result, we will investigate the points you have raised in your feedback further.
“This place is a disgrace, not even close to being a zoo.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Terrible enclosures, it's like someone's swampy backyard with some sad looking animals. Unkept grounds, dirty picnic area, empty enclosures. Such a terrible shame, this place should be shut down in my opinion. Cafe staff were extremely rude and obnoxious to top off the dissapointing morning. Unfriendly to the elderly, disabled or pram users like us. We left within the space of an hour and were given a full refund after making our feelings known to the manager.

Visited May 2013
Thank you for your review. We are saddened to hear your feedback about Alma Park Zoo. We do agree that any outdoors attraction during unseasonal wet weather would not be enjoyable for anyone. As a result, if you did visit during the weekend of June 8th to 9th, then we do understand your disappointment. However, we have investigated your comments further and found that there were no refunds or complaints to management made during the weekend of June 8th-9th. If this is an error, please email us at feedback@almaparkzoo.com.au