“Wonderful Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #21 of 3,283 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Doing business, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: ARIA Brisbane, located on the Eagle Street Pier, provides the quintessential Brisbane dining experience, with striking views from the restaurant of the Brisbane River. Owned by chef Matt Moran and restaurateur, Peter Sullivan, ARIA boasts a well-balanced seasonal menu, featuring local and Australian produce and an award winning wine list, served in an elegant dining room with stunning views. "If it's fine dining you seek, in a split-level expanse of understated elegance that affords sweeping city views, this sibling to Matt Moran's southern star ticks the boxes. Add a stellar cellar selection, with a thoughtful nod to Queensland wineries, plus accomplished service and you've hit the right notes, particularly for corporates and lovers of occasion. There's obvious skill, attention to detail and quality produce on show from opening chords to final flourish. Succulent pork belly has perfect golden crackling, while plump duck dumplings, abalone and mushrooms swim in a Peking duck consomme. Kingfish baked in cedar bark has its wrapping set alight en route to the table, adding a welcome smokiness. Creamy custard tart alongside figs, apple slices and candied walnuts has real retro charm. A sweet farewell gift box of miniature macarons rounds out a night to remember." Gourmet Traveller Australia
Toowoomba, Australia
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Definitely a restaurant for special occasions. The service was attentive and friendly without being overbearing. We had a great table at the window overlooking the Brisbane River and Story Bridge and the overall ambience was excellent. The food, as expected was exquisite. No question its an expenisve restaurant but you're paying for so much more than just food on a plate. My next excuse for a special occasion will be held at Aria.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Overpriced for the experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

As a fine dining experience goes Aria just doesn't get close to what we expect in a good European establishment.

At the prices charged the ambiance, service and quality should be top notch, and unfortunately it doesn't quite get there.

We went on a Sunday evening, and were surprised to find the restaurant only 20% full at 8:30pm. This did mean that the service was good, reasonably attentive, and the sommelier was available when I wanted him.

What didn't work was the explanation of the amuse bouche , which was garbled (with a strange accent), and I didn't get it on the second ask either. I had to ask on two separate occasions for my water glass to be refilled. We were served by no less than 5 individuals.

The wine I chose was not available, although the sommelier did come up trumps with an alternative, unfortunately at a higher price.

We both had Wagyu beef for our mains, one was a normal steak, very good, and the other a corned beef version which was outstanding.

Even so, with a bill of over $300 for two, with a decent bottle of wine (less than $100), but only two courses and tap water, this is overpriced.

The setting is lovely and you probably should try and get a table by the window, although you will then have people walking past and staring in at you.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brisbane, Australia
“5 star? Really? Not 5-star service...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I was SO looking forward to dining at Aria, given my love of food, the reputation of this restaurant as well as Matt Moran, and the fact that it was intended to be a special night. Perhaps my expectations were way too high, because I walked away a little disappointed.

The food IS fantastic, but fantastic food needs to be backed up with fantastic service. For the price and the reputation, I'm expecting Michelin star quality food as well as service,and the service was decidedly lacking the night we were there.

With Michelin star restaurants come Michelin star service - and this is where Aria is let down. I don't care where the staff wish they were, you're paid to work and work you should. By work I mean show interest in your customers (don't insult me by calling me a guest - guests stay and eat for free in my house), after all, without customers you don't have a job.

For the sommelier to rush through the explanations for matched wines (for which we elected and paid extra), it's no wonder we felt a little let down. If you're going to speak to people, try speaking to them from where they can both see you - surely for a table of only two people this is achievable. I understand not being comfortable speaking in public, but this is a part of your role.

When the food was delivered we had to remind the server whom had ordered which dish - and there were only two (2) of us. I wouldn't have thought it that difficult, and again, given the price of the meal, I certainly expect a high-quality experience. I don't expect service commensurate with a pub meal (even gastro-pub) or a takeway fish-and-chip shop.

The food is great, but the service is lacking for a place that has a great reputation for high-quality food.

I have given the restaurant a 4-star overall rating on the strength of the food. If I were to rate the service, it would only be a 2-star review as the service is quite poor. Given the price and the quality of the food, the service needs to improve quite dramatically.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brisbane, Australia
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

This restaurant never disappoints. Yes it's expensive at first glane but the value is definitely there. Complementary bread, sorbet and petite fours make it a total dining experience.

Visited May 2013
Queensland, Australia
“Did not live up to their reputation - Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I've been to Sydney Aria and now Brisbane and it is not up to our expectation. Food was good but not great, food portion was small definitely you need three course to fill you up, I'm sure that is the aim from a business point of view. Service is so so, our wait staff was good she was friendly however other staff who are unfriendly (no smile) and not approachable and that did ruin my night. They never asked us if we wanted another bottle of wine, no offer of more beverage! Had to ask us what we ordered and we had to remind them we are missing a side order.
If I was in an average restaurant , this would have meet and most likely exceeded our expectation however for Aria standard and price we pay is not acceptable. Our bill was close to $1000 for 8 people so I think my expectable is not unreasonable.
I expect for a 5 star restaurant is to have friendly, efficient staff who is professional and have the knowledge and no mistake made. I don't think what I'm asking is unreasonable.

• Visited November 2013