“This is not a hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Waterloo Bay Hotel

You added Waterloo Bay Hotel to your Saves list
Waterloo Bay Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   75 Berrima Street | Wynnum, Brisbane, Queensland 4178, Australia   |
Ranked #37 of 63 Brisbane B&B and Inns
Brisbane East
“This is not a hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This place is worse than a motel. The room was tiny, communal bathroom, the place looked rundown. There is a Gaming Lounge and Liquor store, which attracts a bit of unwanted company. There's not much around the place either. Only good plus is, it was near the train station.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Anna Maria Island, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This place was so not how it was described. They might have nice rooms here, but I didn't get one. The amenities they list for guests did not apply to me/my room. I felt unsafe just once in Australia; here! The doors were not secure. I was unable to take a morning shower in the unisex bathroom because the hallway door was locked & my key didn't work in it. Not sure whether it should have or not as the staff said nothing about it. When I took an evening shower the lights went out after just a few minutes and I couldn't turn them back on. The main entrance to bathroom remains unlocked during shower; safety issue! It is a crime that they rent these "cheap" rooms without clarifying that amenities do not apply, that showers may not be accessible. Oh, and it's a casino/bar - also not mentioned in the description I saw.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

My boyfriend flew up from Sydney to spend the week with me, it was a last minute choice so Waterloo Bay Hotel got back to him and he booked a room with shared facilities. When we got there to check in, they were not organised like they weren't expecting anyone. The guy who gave us our keys and took our money was checking us out, it felt perverted. It was $260 for the whole stay and if we knew what it was really like than from what we saw on the site we wouldn't have chosen to stay at this hotel, the photos are deceiving on the website. The room was dusty, dark, the seats and everything we touched seemed dirty. I even decided it was bad enough to check the bed for bed bugs, found nothing which was a relief considering Id heard another review which stated bed bugs at this hotel. I had a few friends telling us to be careful as the area is quite dangerous, so I worried during the night about my boyfriend being safe. Theres no air con when it said there would be, the facilities were disgusting and old so we used my house for toilet, showering, ate out etc. My boyfriend didn't sleep very well through the nights which really was the only reason he was staying there so I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, its full of drunk/stoned people too! IF you had to stay at this hotel, try the new serviced rooms but the price you pay is really not worth it with all the down falls.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Noosa Heads
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

We stayed 2 days whilst I played golf at Wynnum golf Course in a competition and my wife easily travelled by train to Brisbane (20 min). The hotel was basic but comfortable and quiet. The breakfast in the room was adequate with everything supplied and we had dinner for the 2 nights and the food was very good. We will certainly stay again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
somerset
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

The few nice hotels in the area were booked by conferences so, after a phonecall by a receptionist at another hotel it was established that this motel part of the hotel had a room for 3 nights. We arrived and paid before looking. It was 120$ Aus per night.
The room was dark having only narrow patio doors for light and no insect net. The bathroom window would not open. The ensuite looked as if it had been assembled from a scrap yard with no item matching. The marks from an original basin were unpainted and the 'new' basin was purple! The carpet was filthy and decor very sad. The wicker seats were caked with dirt and the cushions could not be sat on they were disgusting. The kettle did not switch off. There was no plug in the sink despite appeals to save water! The air conditioning was noisy and could not be controlled.The TV remote would not work as a battery was missing. It took a prolonged wait in the casino part of the hotel to get someone to get new batteries and it still did not work.
The bedspread was stained. The sheets looked clean until I flung them back and found four small creatures crawling round! They bled when squashed. After an uncomfortable night I found another creature on my pillow .Two slices of soggy bread in a plastic bag were in the fridge for toast. While eating OUR breakfast a cockroach sped across the floor.
Outside our room a overhead crane was parked making it difficult to park. We were told it would be moved. At 7am next morning a noisy beep- beep was heard and it was moved a meter or so. Another chap we spoke to said he had no A/C and it was 28C in his room. Needless to say we left at 8am.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Been to Waterloo Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!