“Outstanding Banquet” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #75 of 3,101 Restaurants in Brisbane
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: 1889 Enoteca is part of the heritage listed Moreton Rubber Works building (circa 1889) located in the antique quarter of Woolloongabba. We have incorporated a restaurant & wine bar along with a basement level cellar for private dining & functions for up to 42 people.We offer traditional Roman fare which is made to be enjoyed in our relaxed but sophisticated setting. Our menu showcases the freshest produce available & the pasta & bread that we offer is and made by our chefs on a daily basis which is testament to our commitment to quality.Our wine list is an encyclopedia of artisan producers with a particular focus on natural winemakers. Natural winemaking involves using indigenous yeasts, minimal (if any) chemicals & little technological intervention. Many of these wines are organic, biodynamic & have been picked personally by the owners who have visited the vineyards. Our wines have a story!
Brisbane, Australia
“Outstanding Banquet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

I've searched hi and low for a venue worth returning to and this one is it. They have a cellar with a long table to sit about 40 people. The atmosphere is great and the historic feel adds to that. I took my staff of 30 there and I can't believe how well we were looked after, the wait staff were outstanding and nothing was a problem. The food was sensational - served as a banquet with platters placed along the middle of the table, started with antipasta, then pasta, followed by meat (pork and beef) - all superbly prepared and cooked. Beautiful deserts too. I had selected a package which included 4 of their sensational Italian wines, these didn't disappoint either. I highly recommend this as a banquet venue if you want a private room for a large group. I'll be going back with another group before the end of the year and can't wait.

Visited May 2014
Dan C, Owner at 1889 Enoteca, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
You had our La Famiglia menu! It is our most popular function menu and is such a wonderfully convivial way to dine and lends itself to both formal and celebratory occasions. I'm glad to hear that you were pleased with everything. I hope you had the gnocchi?! We look forward to seeing you again later in the year. Thank you so much for your enthusiastic review.

Aust, Qld
“Step into Italia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Walking into the restaurant on a cool winter's evening I felt like I had stepped into a small piece of Italy. The facade with its beautiful leadlight glass trims and the mirrored bar, the booths, the lights were all gorgeous.

Interesting menu and the zucchini flowers were crisp, fresh and utterly moorish. The peppered spaghetti was delicious and the saltimbocca was cooked to perfection and beautifully presented. Beans with anchovy were not overcooked (crisp) and flavoursome. Not normally a dessert person, but had to try the pannacotta with raspberry and was thrilled with its true flavours. The wine, whilst a little pricey, was perfect.

Our only comments for management to consider are: the decor facing the back wall. I was sitting inside in a booth facing the street and had the lovely view of the beautiful leadlight glass windows and mirrors behind the bar, but my husband was facing the rear and thought the back wall was not very well considered in the decor. His view was not of the large framed picture over the stairwell but of the air vents.

I would definitely recommend it to friends and I would go again for a special casual evening of fine dining in an interesting little street.

Note - we had pre-dinner drinks in Canvas a couple of doors down - worth a look in too.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dan C, Owner at 1889 Enoteca, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Thank for for taking the time to write such a considered review. Often we will have Italians visit and they are always impressed at the authenticity of the restaurant. We're glad that you felt the same way! We hope to see you again soon. Ciao!
“funtastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

we had a work function there last weekend i their cellar. The food, wine, service & environment were all fantastic. I would like to apologise to anyone dining in the main restaurant that had to listen to our very bad (drunken) singing though ;-)

Visited May 2014
Dan C, Public Relations Manager at 1889 Enoteca, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
We're delighted to hear that you had a good time. The cellar is quite the place for a party and lends itself very well to a good singalong! It's far enough away that you shouldn't have caused any trouble. Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We shall see you for your next work function!
“Birthday Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Intimate, cosy atmosphere - fine dining. Tasty dishes but not enough for my husbands liking. Tables were a bit too close for his liking, but I liked the whole experience.

Visited January 2014
Hello and thank you for taking the time to review 1889 Enoteca. We certainly aim to create an intimate, cosy atmosphere how ever we don't consider ourselves fine dining. We simply aim to create an exceptional food and wine experience by selecting quality produce and skilled, artisan wine makers executed with skilled chefs and knowledgable service.

Parts of our restaurant are certainly authentically cosy- just like Italy! However, if you'd like a bit more space next time please do ask for an outside table when you book and we will do our best to arrange something more suitable for you. I'm glad you enjoyed your experience on the whole. We hope to see you again, in a slightly different part of the restaurant!
Brisbane, Australia
“Always a pleasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

We eat here regularly and can confidently say it is the best Italian in Brisbane. I would recommend booking ahead even on a quiet weekday especially if you want to eat inside and enjoy the fantastic atmosphere. The food is always top notch, the service equally as good and here's a tip.. Let the manager select your wine based on your meal, he never lets you down!

Visited April 2014
We love our regulars at Enoteca! You've all got such fabulous taste... Your tip to book ahead is a smart one. It's always best if we're expecting you however, we'll always do our best to fit you in.

Our Manager, Andrea, is an institution! He loves creating the perfect experience and food and wine matching is his particular forte (along with his exceptional charm). Thank you so much for your kind review. We shall see you soon!