“Great restaurant in Manly” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Brisbane, Australia
“Great restaurant in Manly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We enjoyed dinner at the Fish Cafe last weekend and really wanted to post a review as it was the best meal we have had at this restaurant. Based on our experience last weekend the food is a big improvement on our previous visits. This restaurant is in a great location on the esplanade at Manly with views over the harbour. All the food we ate was of high quality, cooked as requested, and delicious. Good sized and quality kids meals as well. The service was very friendly and punctual. Overall, looking forward to returning very soon.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Brisbane, Australia
“Best coffee in Manly at last for breakfast.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

After searching for 12 months in the Manly area, I found a very good coffee. Double shot latte with fruit loaf to die for. The fish cafe only opens for coffee and breakfast on the weekend though.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane
“this place needs its head chef”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

So went a few weekends back and the head chef was off having eye surgery apparently. I hope that explained why my sand crab lasagne was cold in bits ... obviously had not been nuked real well. It was inedible. Husbands whiting was very ordinary too. After I pointed out the yukkiness we weren't charged for the lasagne. Seriously thought the prices were a bit rich. Previous visits were more enjoyable.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Overpriced, but lots of potential!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

The Fish Cafe definately has lost its momentum in recent times but it still has its traditional potential that can bring the restaurant back to its peak with a bit of work.

On this visit to the Fish Cafe I ordered some oysters for starters, along with a crab lasagne and gnocchi seafood pasta (supposed to be fettucini but they ran out).

The oysters kilkpatrick were very small and filled with too much sauce. A little too small, probablyt he smallest ones I've had in a restaurant in my life. It was not the best way to smart my meal nevertheless.

Stay away from the chips, they were poor. If the takeaway chips were the same quality, I'd be highly dissapointed. A lot were green, limp and some weren't edible. Worst dish/side of the day.

The crab lasagne was satisfactory overall. You could definately taste the crab and the seafood sauce was ok. The most dissapointing thing about it was issues with the lasagne sheets. It tasted as though something had been frozen and left too long or not defrosted then cooked properly. Not sure if the lasagne itself was fresh or not so there were bits of the lasagne that wasn't really edible. I'd recommend it if you want to try something different but otherwise consider a dish more exciting.

The seafood pasta, this inadvertently became the dish that saved the day for me. First they informed me there was no fettucini but the gnocchi replacement was good. So I thought I'd give it a shot. Yes, the gnocchis were excellent! But the seafood lacking and so went the value.

There were great elements involved in the two mains I sampled but needed refining. I suspect the business needs to either concentrate on their cheap takeaway branch or the restaurant or split the kitchen up better...

The atmosphere is ok. Very open and facing the road. In the day you can see the bayside in the distance.

Service on the other hand was excellent. Nothing to complain about there. Too bad we tend to visit a restaurant to eat, not enjoy service!

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“Over priced and over cooked.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

There are far better seafood restaurents then this one. The prices are over the top and the service is not that great either. The bugs were so tough that i thought I was eating rubber bands. Save your money and go somewhere else.

Visited December 2011