“Awful” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Base Brisbane Central

You added Base Brisbane Central to your Saves list
Base Brisbane Central
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   308 Edward Street, Brisbane, Queensland 4000, Australia   |
Ranked #94 of 114 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Melbourne, Australia
“Awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I checked in to find someone else in my private room. There were bogans yelling and running through the corridors until sunrise. Bed too short for someone 6 feet tall and a fire evacuation at 12.30 at night because some idiot smoked inside. Never again

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Jennifer D, Manager at Base Brisbane Central, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Paul P,

Firstly I appreciate you taking the time to send in your feedback of our hostel. I'm very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Regarding your comment on someone who was in your room upon check in, I do apologise for this It was a simple mistake on our system, I’m currently looking into the dates you stayed to see why it happened as we never have this issue.

With guests being noisy at night we do actually have 24 hour reception and they do regular checks of the hostel to ensure the noise is kept down after 10pm. The night security on would have gone straight up to the guests making noise and resolved the issue immediately, so it's a shame you were unable to come and see them.

I'm very sorry about the smoke alarm going off unfortunately this is something that was out of our hands and not the hostels fault. We did take the incident very seriously and found it very disappointing that a guest did break that rule.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your travels and again thank you again for sending us the review we really use the feedback we receive to improve the hostel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stayed here because of it's great location in the middle of the city, just in front of the central station. I booked a private single room for some rest, as for me it was just a stopover. Right when I entered my room it smelt really moldy but when you open the window cigarette smoke comes blowing in. Showers were dirty. Most annoyingly is the loud speaker who keeps blabbing about parties and the fire alarm went off as well in the middle of the night. So if you want to sleep DONT GO HERE.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Marieke-blue-eyes,

Thank you for sending us in your review of Base Brisbane central. Good or bad feedback we want to hear it all as the guests are opinions are the ones we think are the most valid and important.

I have shown your comments to our maintenance and housekeeping manager who have conducted checks on the room and bathrooms. We have found no mould in the room but are currently planning renovations in our single and double rooms so they will be getting a facelift in the very near future! The bathrooms are cleaned multiple times a day so it's disappointing to hear you found them unclean. We have added another evening clean to our housekeeping roster so this should ensure at all times of the day when guests walk in they use a freshly cleaned bathroom.

With your issues with the bar announcements we are quite well known to be a party hostel but announcements do stop at a reasonable hours so guests can enjoy to party while here but when they want to rest they have that option too.

Again with the fire alarm that for us was something we did not want to happen and was not a fault on the hostels either. Trust me we don't want to be having lot’s of sleepy guests outside and is a costly call out! Unfortunately it was someone who had broken our strict no smoking rule. Luckily this issue is not a regular occurrence and the matter was dealt with very seriously.

Great to see you were happy with our location we think its pretty good too:)

Enjoy the rest of your travels.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

my first hostel and would gladly come back (although not with a stuffed suitcase. they don't call these backpacker hostels for nothing ).
all the staff we spoke to were very helpful and chatty.
now I'm a great believer of "you get what you pay for", but I think this place is excellent value for money. everything is on your doorstep and it's bang in the middle of the city. now if you want wall to wall plush carpets, floor to ceiling wardrobes and waiter service then go down the road to the 5* hotel. if you just want somewhere to crash then this is just the place for you.
ps whilst writing this I'm still staying at central.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Seafercat,

Thank you so much for your lovely review, it really made our day! We love our hostel and think it comes with a lot of character so great to see you felt the same!

The staff really prides themselves on being helpful and friendly so it's great for them to see that feedback. Your comment on value for money I think is spot on and fair to say we know we're not a 5* hotel but that’s not we want to be either. We know the importance of getting the basics right: cleanliness, staff, facilities, safety etc but a long with that we want to show central’s personality and it sure has a big one

Again thank you for your review, we really appreciate it. Happy Travels!
Heidelberg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Some people get here because of the central station across the street, some others come for partying. So, to make a long reference short, if you're looking for a quiet place, keep looking, if you want to party, you are exactly right.

There's a few general things about the place itself that should be mentioned:

The first thing you will probably notice is the smell of the hostel. Nope, it's not a nice one, but trust me, after a few days you won't even notice it anymore.... as long as you stay away from the TV room :D. You wouldn't want to know what those couches and carpets probably have been through :D. BUT, neverthless, I loved the building, since I love old buildings with history in general. One of the reasons is the old elevator! Gotta love that rusty thing! Part of it's beauty is that it has two sliding / folding doors, which are the cause of the problem at the same time. If one of them is not shut properly, no one is going nowhere. Unfortunately not all travellers recognise that the doors on some levels doesn't close by itself, which means that you might have to wait 10 or 15 minutes 'till it comes. But if you know what's wrong, you shouldn't be annoyed by it. Hopefully they will fix it someday though. Unlike the balconies that have been "closed for maintanence" for about a year now and nothing happened.

One cool thing is the roof top. Empty during the day but full on most of the late evenings. Go up, join one of the groups and see what the night might bring.

To be fair, some floors are better than others. The third and fourth floor were probably the better ones, if you want to actually get some sleep during the night. Well, sometimes it doesn't matter, since not everyone has the decency to "get lucky" somewhere else, so that will most likely keep you awake. Unfortunately it happens more often in base than anywhere else I've stayed. I wish people were a bit more creative sometimes ^^. and I wish the beds were not that squeaky in general!

Anyways, it all might sound a bit negative, but I just want you to know what to expect ;). Still, as you can see, I gave 4 of 5 points, so I obviously liked it there ;).

The staff is amazing! Really friendly, always helpful, and 24/7 there for you.

Ou, one more thing: THE KITCHEN. Really important thing for a lot of us. It's a huge hostel! Means the kitchen can get REALLY busy, so you might have to wait for a while before you can start cooking in the evening. And, thanks to the F***heads of travellers who steal pots, cuttlery and other stuff, you might not always find a decent pan, knife or (the all time favourite for thiefs) fork. The hostel is trying it's best to keep up with it, but it's just to many them :/. Another thing is that it happens way too often that someone "borrows" your food while you're not there. I'll put some laxative in some of my stuff next time... just because I can^^.

The price went up quite a bit, so it's not the cheapest option, but worth giving it a try for a night or two ;).

Almost forgot the best part. The best sushi in the whole city (trust me, I've tryed them all^^) is right around the corner. It's in the wall of the Queens Plaza, next to starbucks. The Sushi place across the street (Sushiro) is good, too.

Good luck with the room mates ;).

ps: free Wi-Fi at the King (or Saint^^) George Plaza. It's council wi-fi and you get a better connection than in the hostel ;)... 5 hours a day.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Jennifer D, Manager at Base Brisbane Central, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Ivan F,

Firstly thank you so much for taking the time to review our hostel. We really appreciate all the feedback we receive from guests and genuinely use it to improve out hostel.

It seems to me you enjoyed your stay with us which makes us very happy! We think we have a lot of character and it was great to hear you loved our old building too :)

With your comment on smell we have actually increased our carpet cleaning of the hallways recently and have noticed a marked improvement. The smell really is just what comes with an older property and really just reminds you that your staying in an important part of Brisbane's history:)

Also great to hear you loved our elevator it's a tourist attraction in it's own right!
The staff are thrilled to read your comment you found them being super friendly and helpful:) It’s something we really pride ourselves on and is super important to us that guests feel that way about us.

Regarding the kitchen we do a kitchen inventory weekly to make sure it is always stocked but obviously is difficult with people taking things to their rooms, really appreciate you noting that we really try to keep up with the stock levels!

Thanks again so much for your lovely review and come back and visit us soon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This hostel has the best location if you're travelling by train. I was backpacking down the East Coast with my boyfriend and we had a really early train to catch the next morning. It's literally opposite the transit centre for trains and the bus depot (jncluding greyhound), so really convenient. The hostel itself was inviting and has a good atmosphere. Our room was a 10 bed mixed dorm with en suite bathroom - it had 2 showers in one room which could potentially be handy but I can't imagine many people actually leave the door unlocked - meaning 1 shower can only be used at a time. They'd do better to have 2 smaller shower rooms instead of 1 big bathroom. We were only there for 1 night though so it wasn't a huge deal, plus the people we had in our room were awesome. The beds are pretty comfy and there's air conditioning which can get really chilly which in Queensland is a welcome relief! There's only a couple of plug sockets though so between 10 people that coult be an issue if there are lots of people wanting to charge things at night. The only major downfall for us was the kitchen. We've stayed in hundreds of hostels around the world but this was probably the worst I've experienced. Not because of the mess or lack of storage which you come to expect in busy city centre hostels, but because hardly any of the ovens worked. We had ingredients to make a cheap curry rather than eat out. We needed 2 hobs (one for the rice and one for the sauce) There are loads of oven tops within the kitchen, I think about 4 in total so that should be 16 hobs, however only 3 of the hob rings actually worked and they were all in use with a huge queue of people waiting to use them. It probably didn't help that we were trying to cook at peak dinner time, but it got so busy and people kept pushing in that we gave up and had dinner in the pub below meaning that we had to throw all our prepared food in the bin as we couldn't take it with us. The pub food at tin billy was absolutely amazing and really good value so it all worked out ok in the end, just a shame that we had to throw stuff away. The staff were all really helpful and always cheery which is great. If I was to return to Brisbane, I'd definitely consider staying here again as it's location is so good and the Base staff were so lovely.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We booked in here as they had an offer on for 2 nights accomadation, some free food and drinks and a trip to moreton island.
The location of the hostel was brilliant, everything else wasnt! the rooms were like saunas, the staff were rude and unhelpfull and the smell in the whole place was unpleasant.
I guess this place would be ideal if you were here for a party, as they have a bar attached downstairs with good drinks and food offers.... but if your looking for somehwere to get you head down, pick somehwere else.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cork
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Hostel is run down looking. My room was large however, bunks shook a lot. They gave out hair straightness and dryers for a $20 deposit, which you got back...nice treat when been travelling awhile. Staff at reception were only so so, asked for advice on ferry just pointed to sheet on desk no info given on that or anything else when asked. In pretty good location to main shopping area and bus station. I wouldn't be running back here however.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Jennifer D, Manager at Base Brisbane Central, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Hi Monamahony,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property we really appreciate and rely on guests giving us some feedback.

Our hostel is an older property but comes with a lot of charm. We really try to maintain it and put a lot of resources into it's upkeep but as it's an older building it is harder for us too look as new as some hostels but with that comes character and personality :)

Regarding your comment on staff I will follow that up as we have an extremely friendly and helpful team at Base Central so I'm surprised to hear that you did not feel that you received enough information.

Thanks again for your review and I really hope you enjoy the rest of your travels.

Been to Base Brisbane Central? Share your experiences!