“Good location. That's about it! WORST SLEEP EVER” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Base Brisbane Central

You added Base Brisbane Central to your Saves list
Base Brisbane Central
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   308 Edward Street, Brisbane, Queensland 4000, Australia   |
Ranked #89 of 110 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Coffs Harbour
“Good location. That's about it! WORST SLEEP EVER”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I guess I will start with the positives although there aren't many...The Base is in a great spot opposite Central Station. The $7 big breakfast downstairs was also good value.

The fact that it was old didn't bother me too much, but the obnoxious backpackers yelling, singing, playing music, and skyping home at all hours or the night did! I know it is a party hostel but the noise was just excessive. I was in a 4 person dorm with a few friends (we paid the extra for less beds in hope of getting a bit better sleep). The rooms have absolutely no soundproofing - in fact hey have a 1 inch gap below the door and a pattern at the top letting in every sound.

One night I when out to ask the people in the hallway to be quiet and found a group of German Backpackers throwing goon sacks up and down the hallway and talking/ laughing as loud as they could. They didn't seem to care that there were other people in the hostel besides themselves.

Won't be going back there again that's for sure!

Room Tip: Ask if any of them have soundproofing haha I doubt it!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Jennifer D, Manager at Base Brisbane Central, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Ki- Travla,

Thank you for sending in some feedback of our hostel. We really do appreciate good and bad comments as it's important to us to know what our guests thoughts on our property are. We also use feedback to improve our property.

I'm really glad you were happy with our location and our big $7 breakfast we think it's excellent too!

Regarding your comments on noise we do have a night auditor that does security checks around our hostel on the hour and will always be happy to help and speak with guests making noise or move you rooms if necessary. Regarding the grates you mentioned letting in noise above the doors unfortunately we are unable to alter them as our building is heritage listed although we have improved our security system so we can monitor upstairs better and have noticed a marked improvement in the noise levels.

Thanks again for sending in your review and enjoy the rest of your trip!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Epsom, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Ugh... where do I start.. this hostel was one of the worst I have stayed in in Australia. The building itself is lovely from the outside and could be really great if they spent a bit of money on upkeep for the place: however it was extremely rundown with paint peeling off the walls, leaky ceilings, threadbare carpet and dank, dark corridors which really smell of mould/damp.
Rooms are OK... there is a door in the rooms which you can't open (it must open onto the lovely balconies outside, but its locked shut so you can't access the balconies... probably for safety reasons) but it lets in light and noise during the night which is not conducive to a restful amount of sleep. The nightclub downstairs is pumping all night long and the noise filters straight into the rooms so it is impossible to get to sleep until the nightclub closes. After that though the fun doesn't end as people will be coming back up to their rooms and being very loud and disruptive in the process! Beds are not bad comfort-wise (although the sheets felt damp).
Bathrooms are, to be honest, dirty. No soap in the soap dispensers and the hand driers were broken when I tried to use them.
Kitchen is too small for a hostel of this size: from 6-9pm it is nigh-on impossible to get access to one of the cookers. Also it is pretty dirty too. Big tables to sit at though, not a problem there, once you have actually been able to cook some food!
Location is good, very close to shops in the city and managed to walk to the Southbank area easily, and staff are friendly and helped us book our day to Australia Zoo. There is also a travel office if you need help booking the rest of your travel.
So yeah in terms of the actual hostel not much more could have been awful about it! Would not recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

I went there with my travel body and we were shocked. The entire place smelled like a public bathroom, it was worn down and our room, 6 man dorm, had a gigantic hole in the wall!! Whatever you do, don't stay there. It's the worst place I have EVER spend a night. The Beds are terrible, you can feel every single spring impale your back. Mould on the bathroom and the constant smell of urine made it unbareable to stay there. Don't go. Choose another place.

• Stayed March 2013
Peterborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This hostel isn't like the usual standard of Base hostels. It's run down, the rooms and corridor smell awful and the ceiling in the corridor was leaking, god only knows what was leaking through it. Our first room was terrible so asked to move for the second night which the receptionists were happy to help with. Very friendly staff. Great location for getting to all the shops.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Jennifer D, Manager at Base Brisbane Central, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent experience at our hostel. I am very sorry to hear that you had such an unpleasant stay with us....

We are currently in the process of under-going some renovations which will make a big difference to our property. It'll probably won't compare to any of the other Base hostels which are more modern, and as our building is heritage listed there's a few things we can not change.
We do have a great House keeping team that try there best to keep the place as clean as possible.

I'm am very happy to hear that our staff were helpful in any way.

The Base Central Crew
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

So I got to this hostel after coming straight from a gorgeous hostel in Cairns.. And I was pretty shocked at the difference in quality! The location is good but the hostel is pretty gross. The first thing that hit me was the smell, it's a very damp, old smell and the whole place looks dated, run down and dirty. The shower cubicles and curtains were covered in mould and it was generally just a bit dirty. I stayed in an 8 bed dorm, the windows didnt open and there was one fan in the corner, so it was pretty hard to sleep in the heat. Also there's a gap above all the bedroom doors, so light and noise is constant during the night. I got a special deal included in the price of my room with greyhound buses to go to Australia zoo.. Only problem is it dropped us off at 9am and didn't pick us up again til 5pm.. Long day at the zoo by myself! Haha. I'd advise avoiding this hostel, apparently base embassy is much better though..

• Stayed January 2013
N.Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed in this hostel and decided that since it was my birthday id get a private room as a treat after spending Weeks in noisy, messy dorms! Got into my room and I can honestly say after 9 months of traveling it was thee most dreary& rubbish room I've ever stayed in!! The walls were painted a horrible colour,paint was flaking off and a prison cell was probably bigger!! It didn't have anything apart from a bed!! The window didn't open so felt so cramped!! For $70 they could have at least threw in a free towel or something!!
I also thought it Was really terrible the fact that the hostel didn't offer it's guests a free shuttle as it is about a 20 min walk with a backpack!!
That night I went to go get some cheap food in the down under bar and was refused entry because I went through the wrong door!!!! I thought the bouncer was joking so I went to go through the correct door but he started to swear at me aggressively and refused me entry!!! I was treated disgustingly and the whole day from start to finish is one id rather forget!! Complained to the base website about the incident but they haven't got back to me.
In conclusion I wouldn't let my worst enemy stay here! No customer service or perks, not great value for money either! Was never so happy to leave!!

• Stayed February 2013
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is the worst place we have stayed on our three month trip. The building is historic and could be beautiful however inside it is run down, and basicaly looks and feels like no one cares about the building or your stay. We had a double room, which was very basic,but could have been fine if the paint wasn't peeling of the walls, the curtain hanging off is runner, the coat peg falling of the wall, and the window unable to stay open. However this apppeared to be fantastic compared the dorm rooms which they appear to fit in as many people into as possible. Thus the place accommodates hundreds of people a night. We had no chance of using the kitchen facilities due to the high numbers of peoples and the fridges were stuffed full. The staff were less than helpful, given us no welcome or info. We then stood by the lift with all our bags for several minutes, none of the staff sat only yards away came to our assistance. When I asked if the lift was broken, they told me to press the button (like I hadn't been doing that) after 10 more minutes and no offers of help we walked the 3 flights of stairs. Our check out was as monosyllabolic as our check in. The entrance is continually full of people smoking and you cant get in or out without stepping over people and smelling of smoke. You cant access the toilets or showers without your room key which is really frustrating at night. The hostel is centrally located but you can find much nicer cleaner hostels a short distance away. We left after two nights and moved somewhere else that we were really pleased with for the same price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Base Brisbane Central? Share your experiences!