“Don't bother” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Base Brisbane Central

You added Base Brisbane Central to your Saves list
Base Brisbane Central
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   308 Edward Street, Brisbane, Queensland 4000, Australia   |
Ranked #94 of 114 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Melbourne, Australia
“Don't bother”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

This place was one step up from a slum. The location is the only thing that did it justice. Bathrooms were feral, common areas were not accessible due to long termers making it very intimidating, the building is old - yes, but if you clean it or paint it or possibly repair basic things such as the window frames, cracked mirrors, nail a skirting board back in place it would make a big difference.
Definitely not the worth what I paid

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Winchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

This is a disgraceful hostel-it should be shut down it is so old and decrepid.
The carpets are threadbare and filthy-the lift is like something out of the 1920s and was not working-and probably hadnt been working for months, so we had to carry our luggage up four flights of stairs.
The double room we stayed in can best be described as a prison cell-squalid with plaster coming off the walls,no air conditioning-dirty blankets on the beds(have they not heard of duvets in Australia?)no TV or fridge.
The staff at reception had the usual attitude problem and the cleaner was a rude 90 year old.
Its only reddeming feature was its location-but that didnt make up for this awful hovel-it should be shut down-but they make too much money out of backpackers who need somewhere cheap to stay(although it wasnt that cheap)
The kitchen was disgusting-all of the fridge freezers were leaking with towels underneath them to mop up the water.
Dont expect to get any sleep either- it was the usual base experience-you will be kept awake all night by loud music.
Stay away and find somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2011
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

i needed one nite accommodation and paid for single room. unfortunately i got no sleep at all. the club downstair was blasting music till 3am. and i was up at 4am to catch the plane. No sleep at all. the lift wasnt working, and no one gave me a hand to bring 20kg bag up to level 4. and, the most unforgiving problem, there were bed bugs or sth biting me whole nite and bite red bite marks all over my body for more than a week!! i paid 50 dollar and i got no sleep at all!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Brisbane
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

Private hostels (non-HI) tend to be of poor quality, but this was the worst. First their elevator looked like it came from the 19th century. If you are a tiny fragile girl like me, you can't keep the doors (there are two layers of doors to be manually opened) open to push your luggage in. And because taking the elevator is a major pain, you need to use stairs.

Second, the room was tiny, but that's doable.

Third and the worst, in the reservation form I asked to make sure that the room is airconditioned, and when I arrived, it wasn't! The lady at the counter said the building was, but it wasn't really airconditioned. The building was also designed to capture a lot of heat during the day.

On the first morning, the shower became out of hot water, a few hours later, there was no water either from the tap or the shower. The bathroom also always stinks.

The customer service was bad when I had trouble connecting to the internet. Oh yeah, the internet connection was slooow!

Overall, avoid this place at all cost!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
IRELAND
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

We had booked this hostel for a few nights while we were waiting for our apartment to be ready. The room was tiny,a small double bed with a chair in the room. Above the door was a hollow opening so that you could hear everything outside the door and also the light shinning outside the door came through at night. The bathroom was at the end of the hall and was disgusting. People that stay here do not care about how they leave things as I seen people leave their rubbish all over the place. The staff at reception make announcements over the PA all day which is really annoying. The noise from the nightclub downstairs is also very loud and you can really make out all the songs playing. We had a night where a large group was put on our floor,our room was in the middle of theirs. I know hostels usually are loud and full of drunk people but during my stay I was rushed to hospital(on an unrelated issue - but I must say the staff were great in organising the ambulance and staying with me and my partner until they came) I badly needed bed rest when I came back. During the night we had to put up with the group screaming, banging doors and running up and down the hall, but the worst was yet to come when they had managed to get to the top of our room and look in and attempt to set fire to the wood at the top of the door with a lighter, I had called security straight away as we were terrified and they came up but did nothing.First thing in the morning we went down to reception and complained and told them we were leaving and wanted out money back for our unused nights which we got. We were told that the group had been causing problems all day and night and they were thinking of throwing them out. We have travelled all over Australia and this was once of the worst places we have ever stayed in.The bar downstairs serves good and cheap food and that was the best bit about this hostel. The staff who delt with me were great and friendly and it must be hard for them dealing with all the issues as I noticed this place has nothing but bad reviews but really do not stay here...spend your money in a better place!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Byron Bay, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

I have stayed here numerous times, it is definitely a great spot for a backpacker on a budget. The Down Under Bar is the highlight of this place, and has something on every night. Food is really yummy and reasonably priced, drinks are cheap as well.

The rooms aren't fantastic, I have to say. The biggest problem is that you can't open the windows to let in fresh air, and when the air con isn't working in the heat of summer, that is a huge issue. You can pay for a better standard of room though. It was fine for a night or two, but not for a week. Shared bathrooms are fine.

If you are single, young, and looking for a place to party, this is the place to be! I found that most of the backpackers staying here didn't have much respect for people in relationships, as there were quite a few girls cracking onto my boyfriend, and vice versa for me, hahaha!! I guess that's what you do when you're backpacking around a foreign country on your own, so that didn't bother me, but it might bother others.

Still, I had fun and you will have the time of your life if you are easy going and wanting to meet new people.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Base Central is in a really old building which initially I thought added character until I saw the kitchens and bathrooms. The building is old and dark, with high ceilings and long corridors and that haunted vibe. It has a lift but one of the really old ones with a metal shutter you have to slide across - which is not easy to keep open when trying to get you and your backpack in!

The rooms have large lockers which is good, but because of unusal room shapes you can end up very close to the stranger in the bunk next to you. The toilets and showers are disgusting. Old and in serious need of cleaning.

After travelling Australia and New Zealand I can honestly say this was the worst place I stayed in on the whole trip.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Base Brisbane Central? Share your experiences!