“We enjoyed our stay in Brisbane immensely but...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Oaks Aurora

You added Oaks Aurora to your Saves list
Oaks Aurora
4.5 of 5 Condominium   |   420 Queen Street, Brisbane, Queensland 4000, Australia   |
Ranked #50 of 110 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Airlie Beach, Australia
“We enjoyed our stay in Brisbane immensely but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We didn't enjoy the accommodation experience very much at all.....
We stayed for three nights this week
The good = Tim the young man on reception who made checking in effortless and always had a smile for us when we were passing through, top work mate!
= Fabulous location!! So very close to queen street mall and eagle street pier/restaurants
= fantastic view of the story bridge, our view was not quite as good as some others but still lovely.

Not so good
- Cleanliness of rooms, they really need to pull it up a notch of two
For example vacuum behind furniture & into corners, clean mould/shower scum from edges and clean marks or doors/high traffic areas in rooms.... I do realize housekeepers work very hard and a lot is expected of them, but I even made bed and did dishes etc each day to make thier job easier so they might have time to clean shower properly, but no luck :(
Please make beds with proper bedspreads or duvets, I don't want to see the stains all over the duvet inner!! I was not impressed the next day when I seen all the old stains, but too late we had already slept in the bed, so no point getting bedding changed now.
- front desk staff, try smiling or saying hello when your guests work past!!!

Unsure whether we would return ...

Please note service from Tim was more than excellent, but below average for other staff.
Average from girl who checked us out, although she didn't even ask if we were happy with accommodation or whether we enjoyed our stay!

Room Tip: We were in room 369.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
OaksAurora, Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Thank you for your feedback with respect to your recent stay at Aurora Tower. It is dissapointing to hear that cleaning standards at the time were unacceptable. Judging by your comments there were some obvious shortcomings. Please rest assured this is not typical of our cleaning standard. I have forwarded your comments to our executive housekeeper for review and address. Thank you for your kins words about Tim. I will be sure to pass these on to him. Furthermore I will try and ascertain the other staff member you referred to and speak to them also. Thank you again for your feedback. this has been invaluable.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My partner and I decided to spend a weekend in Brisbane to visit friends and we spent 2 nights at Oaks Aurora in a One Bedroom Apartment.

We requested a high room and were very lucky to be put on the 34th floor overlooking the river and Story Bridge. The room was stunning and the view was beautiful, especially in Brisbane where it's often ugly skyscrapers as far as the eye can see. It was like having our own luxury apartment and we wish we had stayed longer. The reception staff were very friendly too, particularly Averille who was lovely and all the FO staff seemed happy to help.

The pool was amazing and we were hugely grateful for the air conditioning (we turned up during a heatwave, of course.)

It's a 5 minute walk from Queen St Mall, Woolworths, riverside restaurants and right across from the best patisserie in Brisbane Le Bon Choix. We stocked up on wine, cheese, chocolate and croissants, and had picnics on our balcony every day. It was wonderful.

I have worked in 4 & 5 star hotels for 4 years in Brisbane and Sydney and i'm still trying to understand why people pay so much for tiny rooms and over-priced everything. This was everything we needed at a suspiciously low price - $110 per night - and I will happily go back on our next visit to Brisbane.

Room Tip: Request a higher room on the river side of the hotel, the views are spectacular.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
OaksAurora, Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for your very kind words about your recent stay at Oaks Aurora. I'm pleased to hear your stay was enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks Aurora in the not too distant future.
Coffs Harbour, New South Wales, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Our room was absolutely filthy, the floors were stained throughout the whole apartment, food underneath the lounge, the bathroom smelt strongly or urine, we found a used men's razor in our shower, along with pubic hair throughout the bathtub. Other then the beautiful views from the 43rd floor i will not even give Oaks Aurora a star on their cleanliness, i was even skeptical the beds had been changed considering the state of the rest of the apartment.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
OaksAurora, Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for your correspondence regarding your recent stay at Oaks Aurora Towers. We regret that your stay has put a negative perception on our company’s product. Ordinarily we strive for 100% guest satisfaction so it is disappointing that we failed to provide this during your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apologies. The issues presented are not indicative of the service we strive to provide, and we will take much from this case in efforts to further develop our staff and improve the overall guest experience. In particular your references to the standard of housekeeping are of serious concern. I have raised your points with the executive housekeeping and maintenance personnel just this morning. Please rest assured the points you’ve raised are an not indicative of the accommodation provisions at Oaks Aurora or any Oaks property for that matter. Ordinarily our housekeeping and maintenance staff are nothing short of vigilant when it comes to quality control. It is not a pleasant experience to receive unfavourable feedback such as this; however your comments serve as an invaluable source of information that will ensure we continue to improve our operation and service standards. While I am unable to alter matters of the past, we take your comments seriously and sincerely regret any upset caused to you during your stay.
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in unit for 2 night for New Years. Had great deal on wotif. Booked for parking same day as booked room via calling hotel directly. Couple of days before booking in received a phone call from hotel stating they won't have any car parks for me and should take public transport! Was very upset with this. Took a chance and rang on day of check in to see I had hotel parking and they did, was not told this before hand lucky I did not park somewhere else or take public transport as they suggested. Was told on check in that could not smoke anywhere in hotel but after reading the checking details it mentioned you could do so on the balcony. Seemed to have been upgraded to two bedroom apartment without being told on check in and would have been nice to know as I would have invited my friend to stay. Was nice to be upgraded though. The lifts were crazy both trying to take luggage up on check in and on check out. Had to wait like 15 mins. Housekeeping interrupted and opened the door waking us early in the morning even with the do not disturb sign on the door. I asked for some more towels but was told that this person only did the dirty linen and did not bother to fix this problem. Later reception could not give me even one towel as they had run out of towels! Was given bin liners and coffee instead. The furniture needs to be updated the chairs fabric was peeling off and the balcony table very wobbly. Found hairs and old toothpaste left behind by another guest. Also the bath tub needed a good scrub with mould on the bottom.
Only stayed for the price and views otherwise wouldn't stay there for the 4.5 star price it is meant to be. Stayed at better quality 4 stars.

• Stayed December 2012
OaksAurora, Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for your feedback in relation to your recent stay at Oaks Aurora. I'm dissapointed to hear your stay was not entirely satisfactory. Unfortunately for the period you stayed we were experiencing difficulties with the lifts. New Years Eve was extremely busy for obvious reasons and as a result there were lengthy delays at times. I apologise sincerely for any discomfort you experienced with respect to this facility. Please rest assured all lifts are in service today. Furthermore I apologise for any confusion around carparking for when you stayed. I'm pleased to hear we were able to provide you with a carpark in the end. There were very few available for the period in question. On the condition and cleanliness of the apartment you were upgraded to, I wish to advise that we will shortly embark on an extensive refurbishment which will result considerable improvements in terms of furnishings. Your comments with respect have been taken very seriously and will be raised with our executive housekeeping manager. Ordinarily our housekeeping standards are exceptionally high. Thank you again for your feedback.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

If you want to stay in an apartment with great views of Brisbane, then this is a consideration...

But..

The place ran out of toilet paper on night 1 of 7...and they didn't bother to tell us until it was....too late....not the shower my kids had planned. Response from staff, "I'm sorry we made a mistake with our order, we hope you don't mind".

Hmm Xmas holiday not going so well...

Air-conditioning worked perfectly day 1, day 2 not at all, 30 degrees in the room is very comfortable....not. "Yes sir we'll see that it's fixed". Day 3, not fixed, getting hotter...countless visits from staff to attempt a fix, none successful, therefore lets leave the room before guest turns really cranky....2 adults 3 children, summer and Xmas in Brisbane, guest definitely not happy. Guest "excuse me but what are you doing about our air-conditioning." Response, "what would you have me do, we have tried to fix it?" Guest thinking happy thoughts.....breathe......"um I don't know, move us to a room with air-con that works" Response "I'll see what I can do and get right back to you" 'read' this means we won't get back to you and hope you just forget that you are paying money for a sweat box. Six hours later we speak to the nice Texan clerk working at night, and he moves us to a new room with air-con that works. Thanks for nothing reception girls, go back to your I-phone, make up and boyfriends. Texan dude, thanks!

Night 4 glass in our bed, I don't remember having a glass smashing party the previous night. How does a piece of glass end up in CLEAN sheets....fairies....elves....Santa?

My tip avoid this place unless you have to, it's like faulty towers without the good humour.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

I stay o/night in Brisbane CBD at least 3 nights per week and rotate through Hotels. The Oaks Aurora rates as among the worst (in my view) for parking, ease of access and service orientation. Putting in a new set of stairs between Ground and first floor entry/driveway indicates the Hotel recognises the problem and this has helped somewhat, but you still need to park in a tow away zone, buzz reception to be let in, check in, go back upstairs to re park and repeat this process on checking out. If you are towed while checking in (which I heard as a constant threat while waiting in line to check in) it will cost you in excess of $300. On the most recent stay the air con was barely functioning in 37 degree conditions, apparently they had been "working on it" on the two days I chose to stay. 10 unanswered calls to reception (line drops out while on hold) I was told that air con might be looked at in 15 mins... Still waiting one hour later. Interestingly you can see the reception desk and entry on your room tv and watch the reception staff having a chat while guests struggle through the doors (and wait for someone to check their air con- no doubt). It is now clear that mngt knw tat air on would not be working on these days, hence the rooms being cheaper on those days via wot if.. Advance notice of air con outage would have been of better service.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
OaksAurora, Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for your feedback in relation to your recent stay at Oaks Aurora. It is dissapointing to hear that your stay was not entirely satisfactory. In response to your comments in relation to the parking, please rest assured you're at no time at threat of having your car towed whilst registering your details at the reception desk. There are time allowances to accommodate the checkin procedure. On the airconditioning, please rest assured the couple of short outages we've had this month were unforeseen. Had we anticipated issues we most certainly would have advised our guests. I'm pleased to report the airconditioning is fully functional as I type this. Thank you once again for your feedback. This is invaluable to say the least.
Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Recently spent 3 nights in Brisbane. Thanks to a great deal from Wotif we were able to get a upgrade to an executive room with river views. That room was great, apart from the air con was faulty. It was a middle room in the building but the views were no less spectacular. The location of the Aurora is awesome. The CBD city cat terminal is right across the road, as is a lot of very good restaurants and pubs. It's so easy to get to southbank, the CBD from there.

The front desk staff really looked after us, and for me that tipped the place over from somewhere cool to stay to somewhere I'll go back to. I have only one gripe about the place and that is that the bathrooms aren't really the best, I'm 6'2 and well, the showers aren't.

After raising the aircon issue with the front desk we were upgraded to a room on the 51st floor for the last night. THAT room was amazing! Views from Mt Coot-tha all the way around to an amazing view of the story bridge. The view from this room at night was brilliant. Can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: Get a north east corner room above 35 and the views will be amazing!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Oaks Aurora? Share your experiences!