“Good seafood platter” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Brisbane, Australia
“Good seafood platter”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We bought a voucher from Living Social which offered a seafood platter for two. I booked for lunch for three people on the phone with the intent of ordering extras for the one additional person if need be and was bluntly advised that we could not share the platter as it was only meant for two people, to which I responded that I was going to order additional things indeed. Such a shocker to be told off like that though.

We went there on a weekday in December and it was relatively quiet, with a few tables having a company Christmas lunch and more tables using the voucher. We got a table close to the window, with a nice view over the water. All waitresses who were serving us were lovely and attentive. Unlike the guy I spoke to on the phone, our waitress who took our order even advised us to share the seafood platter between the three of us as it was quite large, an advice we followed. Food came out after quite a while even though the restaurant was quiet and there was indeed more than plenty for the three of us. One platter was fresh seafood and the other one was fried seafood. It was nice but I would never have paid the full price of $198 for that. You could get the fried seafood from your local fish and chips shop.

It was a nice experience, thanks to the voucher, but I don't think we will be back. Too high prices for the quality and quantity.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

39% Recommend
“Tired and run down, overpriced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

This place has definitely seen better days and while the food is a bit hit and miss, it is certainly overpriced. Have had some lovely, albeit expensive, seafood here but have also paid in excess of $30 for what was essentially an overcooked fishermans basket! The service is terrible, and sometimes downright rude and the decor and exterior is bordering on being dirty/unhygienic. Its a shame as I believe the quality used to be good and it is in a lovely position there on the marina, but I think it's had it's day and for the money I would much rather go elsewhere.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Beautiful, fresh cold seafood platter”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

I went there about 3 weeks ago with low expectations after reading other reviews & was pleasantly surprised. It was a Sunday afternoon, food came fairly quick & was absolutely stunning! Seafood was fresh & generous portions. Service was excellent. Maybe it depends on the day, different chef? I thoroughly enjoyed it & will definitely go back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“Eternal optomist MORTIFIED!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I booked for 10 of us to catch up for Christmas - an annual event. Sadly, it was only on the afternoon of our dinner my husband read other reviews and told me what we might be in for. I am an eternal optomist and thought "well, some people are just serial complainers" - to those people I now apologise, I realise you were just trying to warn us. Here are the bare-boned facts: * our baguette with olive oil and dukha was in fact plates of toasted buttered bagette - no sign of oil or dukha * of the 10 main meals ordered, only 8 arrived (after a significant wait), two orders were completely missed *of the 8 meals that arrived, two were inedible: the spaghetti marinara contained raw prawns and the seafood chowder had the consistency and taste of baby food and contained a badly defrosted prawn and not much else *the expensive seafood platters were really pub meals, but with a 'fine dining price' * one beer arrived with a long blond hair floating in it * the tables were packed so close together the wait staff could not reach the end of our long table and had to pass things via our guests down the table * the 'view' outside at night is just black, there are no lights on the water, so be prepared to stare at reflections of yourself all night as you cannot appreciate the view. * not even enough menus for each of us, had to order and pass it along! As an indication of the quality of our friends, they all laughed and we agreed that at least the night would be 'memorable" ... sadly for two guests the memories lasted all through the night as they battled the effects of gastro (they shared the king prawn entree and nothing else as one of their meals didn't arrive and the other was sent back to the kitchen). Long story short: I have never written a review before, but I am so mortified I organised this I wanted to warn others. We all headed off to McDonalds afterwards to eat and it was far more satisfying (oh, and at Wilson's they still 'spray and wipe' the cloth-less tables next to you when people leave - just like at Maccas!). Avoid at all costs!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Value for money try hard”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I have been there twice and thought for the price you get good quality food. In Summer the doors to the marina are open and you get the fish "smell" feeling. Not a problem.
I've read the other reviews and agree that the staff are not total professionals but they make up for it with personality. Have a chat with them and Neil (the owner) and you'll feel welcomed. The last time we went (8/12/12) the restaurant was full - big work group (60 people) having buffet. It did not affect our birthday dinner of 7 people.
The food was great for the price.
The wine list is not over priced like Brisbane and South Bank restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere