“definitely worth it now” 4 of 5 stars

Valley Verandas Friendly Backpackers
26 Kennigo St. | Spring Hill, Brisbane, Queensland 4000, Australia   |
Ranked #103 of 110 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Heidelberg, Germany
“definitely worth it now”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've read the references that other travellers left a few years ago and felt like I have to leave a good word for that beautiful old place. I don't know why it changed, but it definitely did!
Like some of the others already mentioned, it's a beautiful old building and definitely NO PARTY HOSTEL, which I definitely appreciate some times.

Anyways, the service was good, I let them know that I'll arrive late and the receptionist was waiting for me with the key. It's a small hostel so I understand why it's not worth it to have a 24/7 reception. But it's not a problem since you can call their number anytime you need them. They were always helpful and friendly. Also, they didn't have a strict check out time, means I was allowed leaving my stuff in the room 'till 3pm, which might be really useful for those who have a bus in the afternoon or what ever.

The rooms I've stayed in (4 bed shared) were spacious and clean. The mattresses were good as well. Didn't see any stains on any of the other mattresses either. And none of the bunk beds were squeaking, like in the majority of the hostels I've stayed at.
They were also fixing a few things while I stayed there, so I guess the place is being taken care of now.

Another great thing was that you can use the iron and the board for free, just ask at the reception.

After reading all the other comments, I was wondering if I was just lucky, but I guess I'll find out soon since I will definitely be staying there again at some point!

Enjoy Brissie!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

The new manager has bought a severely run down, yet glorious, old house. There is building work going on presently and the amenities are better. When i arrived i had paid for a single room only to find it was taken, they very kindly put me in a 4 bedded room on my own, unfortunately no breakfast was offered as per their website.The place is not far from Chinatown and the City centre, with a stunning jogging route on its doorstep starting from Storey bridge and running along the central business district. Unfortunately there were very noisy residents there during my stay but the staff did their best to keep them in check, also there was a problem with the WIFI speed, such that most days you couldn't use the internet at all; in the end i had to go to the city's library to use the internet. I think the place is improving with enthusiastic new management, but they have some wrinkles that need ironing out.

Room Tip: stay upstairs if you can, sitting on the veranda in the evening with a glass of wine was heaven
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Adelaide
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed a few nights - lovely old building with loads of character. Apparently there's new managers so we'll see. Ok place to stay, close to Val and City. Big plus is the quiet location and chilling out on verandas. No signs at the front though, that's something they need!

Room Tip: double rooms in old house - but you pay more!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
sunny coast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

First of all there is not one good thing I can say about this place! I’m no princess, so I’m not being fussy! RUBBISH EVERY WHERE, in the hall ways stairs, front entrance & even the bedrooms. If there were any door knobs on the doors they were about to fall off! In the toilet there were no door knobs & so that no one could look through the hole where the door knob use to be was stuffed with toilet paper.
In our room was rubbish everywhere, smelt like man, sex & smoke. Blood stains on the beds, several holes in the wall – one hole you could see through to the next room, with the attempt to cover this hole up with a Zoo mag poster. It had looked as though someone had been squatting in our room - there was a book, towel, bag, coat, hat, shoes, & ball - we had to move all this rubbish.
When we got our sheets to put on the beds (yes we had to do it our self) my sheets had blood stains all over it!
I didn’t shower here as the windows had been smashed – and to be honest I was cleaner not having a shower! I got bitten by bugs all night, boiling hot, couldn’t open the windows. The next day we wanted to get the hell out of there – the reception wasn’t there where they were suppose to open at 9:30 – got to check out at 11:00!!!! And they made us take the sheets of the beds! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not stay here…. Yes it’s cheap… but there are lots of other cheap place to stay in Brisbane!
AND IT’S NOT CLOSE TO ANYTHING!!!

Room Tip: no good room
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

The hostel was quite a walk away from the city and bus stop.
When we got there the hostel was dirty and seemed to be very neglected. There was only one toilet and two showers between all the dorms.
The cleaner was very rude and arrogant, swearing all the time. We heard horror stories that he stole and was racist which scared up.
The upside is the receptionist is very lovely!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Poole, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

Arrived at hostel to find reception closed, rang the manager and they arrived an hour later!
We were then given a key to an eleven bed dorm, with NO bed's free!!! The manager then moved us to a four bed dorm at no extra cost. We were given our sheet's to make our bed's up. The sheet's were filthy with stain's all over them but the worst thing was the top bunk mattress seemed to have been used in a murder. It was covered on both sides with blood and lot's of it! How they can expect people to pay for this I don't know.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Kusadasi, Turkey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010

We stayed there on the 28th Nov 2010 never never again, it is very badly run, was never cleaned in 6 days we were there, we ask for our money back but they refused. so please stay away from this one, i have traveled all over the world and this is definitly the worst we have been in... honestly lorraine mcfadyen

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Valley Verandas Friendly Backpackers? Share your experiences!