“Wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mantra Pandanas

You added Mantra Pandanas to your Saves list
Mantra Pandanas
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   43 Knuckey Street, Darwin, Northern Territory 0800, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay Longer and Save
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
Melbourne, Australia
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

I took advantage of a sale Mantra were having and was able to get an ocean view (with balcony) studio apartment, including breakfast (and parking which l didn't use) for $169. From the description on the website, however, it appears l was upgraded to a 1 bedroom apartment, as the bedroom was separate from the living area. The open plan living and dining area was huge, with a sofa, chair, small dining table and desk, and a feature l always look for in a hotel room, a stand on which to place your suitcase. There was a tv in both the living area and bedroom. One thing to note is that the living room tv (which included the pay per view movies) only showed the basic free-to-air channels and the Austar channels (mainly sport!). The tv in the bedroom has the full suite of free-to-air channels.

The kitchen area contained more than enough crockery/cutlery (although a couple of things were missing, for example there was only 1 knife and fork - although l later found another knife in the bottom of the dishwasher!). Dishwashing detergent/dishwasher powder/tea towels were included. I just noted this because l've been in apartments where they don't give you a tea towel, instead expect you to use the dishwasher for the small amount of washing up you need to do!

The bathroom was HUGE, the most impressive hotel bathroom l had ever been in, with a washing machine and dryer, (including sachets of laundry detergent) a bath and massive separate walk in shower. Quality toiletries were included. There was also an extraction fan (which is not always present in hotel bathrooms, resulting in a bathroom full of steam after you've had a shower), and 2 large mirrors. What more could you ask for?

The room also contained a dehumidifier, 3 ceiling fans and 2 air conditioners!

If you want Internet access in your room, you have to pay, however you can access the internet for free (you are asked to limit it to 30 mins a day) via the 2 terminals located in the cafe area. I only found this out by accident, it would be great if this could be mentioned in the room handbook.

The buffet breakfast was fine, and on the days l used it, there was plenty of seating available.

All of the staff l dealt with were efficient, friendly and professional.

The pool area was lovely, and there was only ever 1 other person in the pool whilst l was there.

The view from my 16th floor apartment was just breathtaking, you could see the ships in the harbour, and watch the afternoon storms roll in.

Darwin is a fairly small city, so everything was in walking distance, supermarkets, shopping centres, the Post Office and Information Centre. It was about a 15 minute walk to the redeveloped wharf area.

I highly recommend the Mantra Pandanas.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an ocean view room with a balcony, it is worth it!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dave Pearson I, General Manager at Mantra Pandanas, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Carrie C,
Many thanks for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to write such a positive review. We really do appreciate your comments which I have shared with my team. I am also pleased to advise that our digital upgrade has now been fully completed with the new TV's showing all of the free to air channels in the living rooms as well as the bedrooms. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back soon!
Dave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I stayed in this hotel few times and had no complains but after what happened on March 12, 2014, I will never return. Darwin has no power that day and the hotel evacuated us at around 3 am for safety and was not able to go back to our rooms until about 130 pm. For the price paid I think it's not worth staying in a hotel without their own generator. The reason they say is because the hotel is bigger than other hotels in town to have their own generator. What about the guest comfort? Will you leave your paying guest like squatters loitering in your lobby or even in the streets of Darwin? in case situation like that happen again which I assume to be very rare. Should guest get the price they pay for the accommodation? They must plan for things like this because the possibility is there , there must be a plan in place, putting their guest comfort as the priority .I haven't heard any apology from the top management but I salute their staff who was helpful at that time. I think the guests need to get a refund for the accommodation paid that day or deserve to be compensated for the fatigue they cause to their guest who was deprived of sleep and comfort. I will be back in Darwin but booked Hilton Darwin after I confirmed that they have their own generator!

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dave Pearson I, General Manager at Mantra Pandanas, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear emersonmd27,
Thank you for commenting on the power outage emergency in Darwin and it was indeed an unprecedented situation. The subsequent evacuation of the hotel was a mandatory safety requirement and we do appreciate that this was a very disruptive experience for you. The emergency lighting ceased after two hours as it is designed to and the evacuation was conducted 30 minutes before this to allow enough time. We do apologise that this incident tainted your stay in Darwin and thank you for your kind comments about our team who did everything possible to ensure the safety and well being of our guests.
Dave Pearson
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I am really disappointed with the way Mantra handled the blackout situation. At 3am we were forced from our rooms to ground floor where we were sprawled everywhere. Told we were not allowed back into our rooms until the power is taped. Forced to sit and sleep on hard floors.

By 7am they were letting small groups of people return to their room for essentials and by 11am we were free to go back to our rooms, even though the power was still not restored.

My question is at 3am we were told we couldn't go back in. By 7am allowed to very essentials and by 11am. Why could we all have just stayed in our rooms to rest in the cool rather than being held hostage in a oxygen deprived environment?

Worst part is that I have another week here next week that is prepaid :-(

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dave Pearson I, General Manager at Mantra Pandanas, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear NickTrezise,

Thank you for staying with us and for commenting on yesterday's power outage situation which was experienced across the region. We all agree that it was unpleasant and I believe that we acted appropriately and within the guidelines of our emergency procedures.
Please be advised that we fully implemented our power outage emergency procedure which involves a request for evacuation to the ground level before the emergency lighting ceases. If there was a more serious emergency it would then be considered unsafe to evacuate without emergency lighting. During the morning, bottled water and breakfast cakes were provided and any advice from the media was provided as requested.
After reassessing the situation later in the morning, we had enough staff members to allow safe escort to rooms for essential items only. However, in a 28 storey building this is a slow process. Later on when we had enough staff members stationed with torches to cover the exit points on each level we were then able to allow those who wanted, to return to their rooms.

Apart from this emergency situation and associated discomfort, I hope that everything else is to your liking and please do not hesitate to contact me personally if I can make your stay more comfortable.
Dave Pearson
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

One of the best centrally located places in Darwin. The apartment style room has everything for self catering. Downside was lack of a balcony. I have now stayed here 3 times once with free parking otherwise $15 per night. Highly recommend Pandanas. The pool pool and gym excellent and a sense of privacy.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Lndon,
Many thanks for your positive feedback and thanks fo choosing to stay with us again. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Stayed on the 8th Floor in a hotel room with a glimpse of water and mainly roof tops. We could not really fault the room quite spacious with a king size bed and lounge in front of the TV, desk etc. Shower was terrific with a large head and plenty of hot water. What I could fault was the TV reception, always dropping in and out and when you are watching something on TV after a certain amount of time it defaults back to the Foxtel paid movie channel - very annoying. The hotel is not right in the middle of town but just a short stroll to shops and restaurants and Woolworths is just up the road - very handy. We had our breakfast included each morning in our package and it was very adequate with the usual bacon and eggs, cereals, fruit, pastries etc. Parking was also included in our package and there was never any problem finding a space on level 1 or 2. The lifts are terrific - very fast so no waiting around for them. All in all a great place to stay when in Darwin. Next time I would get a higher room and one with cooking facilities.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dave Pearson I, General Manager at Mantra Pandanas, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear Jenbell58,
It was great to read your review and thanks so much for choosing to stay at Mantra Pandanas during your visit to Darwin. We agree that we are well suited for both business and pleasure and pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall. I do apologise for the issues with the TV reception which was caused by a faulty receiver and I can advise that this problem was rectified by the supplier shortly after you departed. Thank you again for your positive comments and we do hope to welcome you back again on your next visit to the Top End!
Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Very nice hotel! I stayed in a room on higher floor and the views were amazing, the most beautiful sunset over Darwin. Room had cooking facilities and all modern decor, even a dryer and washing machine to do your own laundry. Hotel is in a great location, just minutes walk from the shopping and restaurants.

Room Tip: Choose high floor for great sunset views.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dave Pearson I, General Manager at Mantra Pandanas, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Hi Karita84,
Thanks for staying at Mantra Pandanas and we really appreciate you taking the time to review your experience. We're delighted that you enjoyed the amazing views, facilities and location and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

My partner and I stayed at Mantra Pandanas on a trip through the top end and found the accommodation perfect. We were there for a week so decided to stay in a water view studio apartment with cooking facilities as this gave us the flexibility to cook at home some nights. The room was on the 17th floor with uninterrupted views to the to the water and the most amazing sunsets, so we made good use of the balcony each evening with a bottle of wine.

I would highly recommend booking a water view room as they are on the top half of the building and for those longer stays a kitchenette always comes in handy

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Joseph,
Thank you for your positive comments and for choosing to stay with us. It's great to read that you enjoyed the fabulous views from your balcony and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Darwin.
Dave

Been to Mantra Pandanas? Share your experiences!