“Mantra Pandanas - What can I say?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mantra Pandanas

You added Mantra Pandanas to your Saves list
Mantra Pandanas
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   43 Knuckey Street, Darwin, Northern Territory 0800, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
NT Rates for All
Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Darwin
Darwin
“Mantra Pandanas - What can I say?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

My husband and I decided to stay at Mantra Pandanas for Australia Day. When I made my booking I said we were coming in to see the fireworks so would like a room that was high enough up to be able to see them from the balcony. The day before our arrival I called again and said why we were staying there and could we have a room with a view - both times we were assured we would get one. When we arrived we again said we wanted the room with the view the guy assured us we had one. Get to the room, look out the window straight into the windows of the office block opposite. Went down to reception and said the only view we had was of an office block - very condescending guy said we should be able to see the SkyCity fireworks - yeah right. He was not prepared to do anything for us. What a surprise we couldn't see the fireworks but could hear the bangs! Whoo Hoo NOT. Also I found hairs in the bed (of the short and curly kind) which were not ours as they were there before we got in! Told reception - who didn't seem to care - and they offered us free breakfast (guys would have been nice if you offered to change the sheets!). I am not sure how many more times I could have reminded them that we wanted the view. Definitely would NOT stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dave Pearson I, General Manager at Mantra Pandanas, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear ConstableKnapweed,
Thank you for writing about your stay with us earlier this year in January and I am sorry that at the time we could not accommodate your request for a room with a view of the fireworks. The room type booked was a city view room and whilst there may have been no availability to upgrade to a water view room, this should have been made clearer by our staff to you when you enquired. We have since increased our training with a continued focus on improving our customer service levels and we would be delighted to welcome you back one day.
Dave Pearson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

The highlight for me was the prime location opposite centerlink making it super easy to follow the local dole bludgers to find the local TAB

Not much in the way of entertainment here, amuse yourself by jumping on the beds, but be careful as the double beds are two singles pushed together and a double bounce in the center can send you crashing through to the floor

Don't get too excited about the restaurant below unless your employer is covering the food bill and you don't have very high culinary standards

• Stayed September 2012
Dave Pearson I, General Manager at Mantra Pandanas, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Dear Bruce L,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Mantra Pandanas and for taking the time to comment on Tripadvisor. We're glad that overall you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back on your next visit to the top end.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I've stay at the Mantra Pandanas previously and decided to stay once again for a business trip.

Overall the hotel is great. It is located close in close walking distance to Mitchell Street and in central location.

When checking in I was in the line with two of my male colleagues behind me, the young guy proceeded to address the males ahead of me and when I spoke he questioned them. Very rule and completely unprofessional.

I stayed in a standard room which was clean and had a great sized bathroom. The only issues were that the hot water runs out quickly, the shower floods the bathroom floor and the spare blanket in the cupboard was disgustingly dirty and obviously had not been cleaned in quite some time as it was covered in white crusty marks!

The room service was amazing. The service was extemely quick and the food was great.

I also had an appoinment at the spa whilst onsite and while is it extremely overpriced the service and product is great.

Aside from a few small issues, the hotel is great and I would stay again.

Room Tip: Go for an apartment rather than standard room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dave Pearson I, General Manager at Mantra Pandanas, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us again at Mantra Pandanas for your business trip and for taking the time to write about your visit. It's good to hear that you enjoyed our central location, amazing room service and great spa experience. I was sorry to hear of the issues you experienced in your room and I will address these with our Maintenance Manager and Executive Housekeeper for urgent attention. It's great to know that you would stay again and we hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Darwin.
Oxenford, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Enjoyed our corner apartment at Mantra Pandanus. Easy walking to attractions in Darwin city and the walkway to the Waterfront precinct. Staff friendly and helpful, room spacious and clean, and a balcony big enough to enjoy.

Room Tip: The higher the better, for a great ocean view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dave Pearson I, General Manager at Mantra Pandanas, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at Mantra Pandanas and for taking the time to write about your recent experience. We are delighted that you enjoyed our friendly and helpful staff as well as our spacious clean rooms and our central city location, which does indeed make it easy to walk around town.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Mantra Pandanas on your next visit to Darwin.
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I have stayed here a lot over the last couple of years, and sometimes I wonder why I do. The layout of the rooms is probably why I keep going back. There's plenty of room, a good sized dining table, 4 chairs, a useful kitchenette and a decent fridge - not a pokey little bar fridge like many other hotels. There's also a reasonable sized balcony for each room.
The problem with this hotel is the cleaning. More often than not, the rooms are not cleaned until mid to late afternoons. I know getting staff and keeping them is an issue in Darwin, but it's just not good enough. To make it worse, the standatd of cleaing is, mostly pretty terrible. The mould and stains in the bathrooms need some serious attention, and the staff need to check the sofas...the one in the room on my most recent was shocking, and the seats neeed to be propped up with cushions. The sofa should probably be thrown out. The room 'keys' are a constant problem, and the plastic cards rarely work well all the time. On my most recent stay, as with so many other I have had to return to reception, tell them my cards are'nt working and receive the same old half-hearted apology. It really is not good enough.
The food in the restaurant is not great and is expensive. Despite all this, I will probably keep staying there....until I can find something better.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
MantraDavid, General Manager at Mantra Pandanas, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear Jaycar98,
Thank you for staying at Mantra Pandanas and for your feedback.
It is disappointing to see we have not been able to meet your expectations in regards to the cleanliness of the room. In regards to the timing of the service, during the busy months of the dry season we do our best to ensure we clean all rooms in a timely manner. I have spoken with my Executive Housekeeper who has also read your feedback and will organize extra training to ensure the standards are met. The keys in the past have been a problem but we have sourced another supplier and are trailing a better quality card to hopefully fix this issue.
Once again I thank you for the feedback and please be rest assured it will be actioned.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Mantra Pandanas and you see an improvement in the overall standard in the near future.
Kind Regards
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We booked 3 nights accommodation at the Mantra Esplanade 2 months ( and confirmed 3 weeks) before our visit. We wanted to stay on the Esplanade NOT in the CBD and booked direct with the hotel.. On the way from the airport we received a phone message that, due to overbookling, we'd been moved to the Mantra Bandanas - in the CBD.
We made it clear we were not happy, not that it did any good. They did however then inlcude breakfast.. Although we were assured that the accomodation was equal and we even had an ocean view ( yes 6 blocks away, over rooftops, parking areas and a noisy building site! ) that was not the case and we were very disappointed.The apartment, although well equipped was small, especially the bedroom and bathroom. The overall serviceand breakfast was very average. Certainly won't book any Mantra again.

Room Tip: We didn't even get the hotel we selected!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear 906fran,
Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on your recent visit to Darwin. it is with regret we had to move you from Mantra on the Esplanade to our sister Hotel mantra Pandanas. This was due to a glitch in our system but I understand your disappointment in not being able to stay in the Hotel of your choice. Please be rest assured this is not a regular occurrence and I apologize on behalf of the Darwin Mantra Group.
Kind Regards

Adelaide
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I recently stayed 2 nights for business. The location is central, the room was very nice and also clean, but I had a couple of service issues with lacklustre staff and I do not consider myself to be 'high maintenance". Overall I'm happy to recommend the hotel but personally will be selecting another hotel next trip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mlleruby,
Thank you for your feedback during your recent visit to Darwin.
I am pleased to see the location and style of accommodation was to your liking. In regards to the service standards, we are currently in the middle of a training program which has identified areas where we need to improve and these are being addressed as we speak. I am confident if you were to stay with us on your next visit to Darwin you will see a lift in the service standards at the Hotel.
Kind Regards,
David Brill

Been to Mantra Pandanas? Share your experiences!